What do we need to bring to the dorm?

<p>Any suggestions?
For example, what size of bedding set do we need to bring?
What kind of cloth? or maybe a lounge bag and a shelf?</p>

<p>Im not sure what size beds are. But good things to bring definitely include a window fan. It gets HOT in august. Also a desk hutch was a good investment for me, personally.</p>

<p>Between the two roommates have two window fans. That’ll keep it pretty nice in the room when it’s hot. A desk hutch is really a must as well. Bed size is twin extra long or something like that. Also, buy a memory foam pad (not the egg crate stuff,) it’s absolutely worth it and can be reused next year if you stay on campus.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Programs - Virginia Tech - Housing](<a href=“http://www.studentprograms.vt.edu/housing/faq.php]Student”>http://www.studentprograms.vt.edu/housing/faq.php)</p>

<p>Thanks for all the information, guys.
hokagesama’s link is a must-see!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the information, guys.
hokagesama’s link is a must-see!</p>

<p>hey I see a lot of people saying a desk hutch is a must, where exactly do you find one?</p>

<p>I’ll add one…since some of the rooms have closet wardrobes that aren’t real big, son’s girlfriend found this kind of hanger at Bed, Bath and Beyond that drops down vertically with rungs (hangers) spaced down to hang jeans, shirts, whatever. She bought him one for graduation and it REALLY opened up his closet space, so much that he, the cheapskate, went back and bought 3! </p>

<p>Here is the link:
[Wonder</a> Hanger™ (Set of 8) - Bed Bath & Beyond](<a href=“Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree”>Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree)</p>

<p>You can buy the hutches on campus for like $15 when you move in. They’ll be selling them all over campus. Buy that one so you know it’ll fit.</p>

<p>you will definitely want carpet…it will make the room warmer than the linoleum will provide. its very hot for a month or so and there is no AC, so bring MULTIPLE fans (2)…youll prob continue to use them throughout the year anyways to keep air circulating. definitely an egg crate, or feather/cotton bed to go over the not-so supportive mattresses they provide you… and if you are a girl, bring additional storage for your clothes/shoes whatever cus the closets are not that big!!</p>

<p>I will say that YOU should buy a good mattress cover. We have tried them all…egg crate, thick regular and down. The down is the one our DS has finally settled upon. Caveat: he is at UMDCP, but I am betting the mattresses are the same at TECH.</p>

<p>We also have learned by watching DS’s roommates struggle getting sheets on over the crates and supportive mattress covers that you should buy XL twin. It actually makes it easier to make the bed. </p>

<p>We intend to get the following without a doubt, please tell me if I am off the mark

1. XL sheets
  2. Down mattress cover
  3. Step stool for DD to reach the storage cabinets above the closet
  4. Hutch
  5. Router
  6. Loft
  7. Microwave
  8. Fridge
  9. Hand Towels for the room
  10. Fan
  11. Carpet
  12. Mason jar of quarters for laundry and soda machines!</p>

<p>Since she is a girl, and I don’t expect her to come home before T-Day, how much winter stuff should she go with? Should she go with her lightweight winter coat or should she take her NorthFace jacket? </p>

<p>At the Hokie Focus we saw the top cabinets open, but what size containers are the best for storage? In other words does underbed containers fit width wise, or should we get smaller ones?</p>

<p>What am I missing that you would take without a doubt? </p>

<p>Also for students there, who is your favorite delivery service for food. One thing I do for DS during mid-terms and finals is to have wings delivered to his room from his favorite place when he has study groups as a special treat for all of them. That is now my tradition, and I want to continue it with DD, so what restaurant is the popular place to order from for dorm delivery?</p>

<p>You should wait before buying all this stuff and see if you can share the expenses with the roommate. That’s what D did. When she knew who her roommate would be, they decided on who was going to buy what. We bought the microwave and the fridge and she brought the TV and the carpet. It avoids duplicates.</p>

<p>This is our second time around, DS is going to be a 12 college grad, so I expect that when DD gets her roommate they will work it out on who brings what. I was just saying this is our must have list for the dorm</p>

<p>They have a pretty nice cinnabon from there in the Owens Dining Center that you can order from. Everyone likes cinnabon!</p>

<p>Yeah, but DD is not a breakfast kid</p>

<p>She loves Papa Johns, is there one there?</p>

<p>She also likes Wing Zone.</p>

<p>How about even Giant Peapod delivery?</p>

<p>Does the Dining Center accept phone orders?</p>

<p>There’s a papa johns on main street and a few other pizza places around. For breakfast, you’re pretty much limited (on campus) to D2 or DX because the other halls with real food don’t open until 10:30. Buffalo Wild Wings is pretty close to campus too, not sure about a Wing Zone or Giant Peapod.</p>

<p>Cinnabon is technically in the Hokie Grill part of the Owens complex. There’s a Carvel there too if that means anything to you; I’m not really into either place since that’s not really my food.</p>

<p>What do you mean by dining center?</p>

<p>Also, perhaps one of the biggest but most overlooked items: flip flops with DRAINAGE! Like these ones: <a href=“http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kZnpxFunL.jpg[/url]”>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kZnpxFunL.jpg&lt;/a&gt;
Flip flops without drainage are just going to sop water and get pretty nasty. These UA ones have multiple large holes and are hard-ish rubber; no athlete’s foot for me :)</p>

<p>Ugh, Papa Johns? To each their own. Make sure she tries Firehouse and Gumbies though. But yeah, there’s a Papa Johns.</p>

<p>Wow, thank you for the UA sandals recommendation. I’m going to get a pair for my daughter and one to keep in my locker at Gold’s.</p>

<p>I’m not a PJ person, but she asked. Quite honestly, I’m a gigantic pizza snob (imported ingredient Neapolitan DOC pizza FTW) and I have yet to find a good pizza place in blacksburg. There’s plenty of good college pizza, but understandably there’s nothing to write home about.</p>

<p>As far as Gumbies, it seems as though Pokey Sticks are something of a right of passage around here. I wasn’t too moved by them, but I’ve seen people tear the coupons off of thrown away pizza boxes.</p>

<p>We are originally from Jersey, and everyone in our family hates PJs, but our DD. The rest of our traditional NY/NJ pizza lovers (you have to be able to fold in 1/2 and let the grease ooze off onto your paper plate).</p>

<p>Does Pokey Sticks deliver? I get the right of passage thing, at UMDCP it is Razzies Wings. That is the place you order from, not Wing Zone, but them.</p>