What do you NOT like about UA?

I read the Marjorie Savage book before my eldest head to the University of Minnesota. Marjorie works there so it was an honor to meet her at the freshman orientation and 1st parent weekend we attended. Some was common sense, but I definitely took some information from it.

What I don’t like right now: THE WEATHER!!!

Don’t worry - it’ll change! :))

Personally, I don’t like this school. I’m transferring to a school in another state after this semester. I’m going to be very honest, for the first time in a public forum, online. I wish someone had told me this information before I decided to attend this school.

The academics aren’t great here. For example, lower level math classes are taught with PowerPoints, and it’s basically “learn it all yourself” online, classes. This is complained about by students all of the time.

In addition, I’ve had more grad students and TA’s teach than I would like.

It’s also very easy to get into this school, as I’m sure you all know. People talk about getting in with a 3.0 and a 20 on their ACT, and this makes me really angry, because I worked my butt off in high school to get a 3.8 and a 28 on my ACT.

I’ve taken over 20 classes here, and for the most part, students do NOT take notes. It’s very strange. I know this is a party school, but this is very weird to me. I feel like I’m the only one that pays attention in some of my classes. Also, students don’t always go to class here or do their homework. Of course, this is college, but I’m saying, in my computer science class, there’s 25 people. For one assignment, four people turned it in on time, online. In my history class, one day, I looked around and counted how many people came to class. I remember it being about 25/40.

Many of the students in my classes have been very dumb. I’m not the smartest person around, but I’m saying in my English classes, where we’ve had to peer review papers, people have handed me papers that have sentences like “Today I will be talking about how yall dont belieave in abortion.” It’s very surprising, and upsetting to me.

Everyone, or mostly everyone, dresses the same. Girls in big sorority t-shirts, with black leggings/jeans or running shorts, with Nike running shoes. It feels like a cult. LOL I don’t like this, personally. Some people do, but I don’t like that if I want to wear jean shorts, I feel incredibly left out.

Christianity is very important here. I know that it’s the south, but this school has approximately 50% out of state students. On the quad, once a month or so, there’s preachers/ministers handing out Bible books and talking about Jesus. On Instagram and Facebook, people are constantly quoting the Bible: “John 5:17.” When someone says that they’re looking for something to do, people reply with a suggestion to attend their church group. I’m Jewish, and when people find out, typical responses have been “My high school swimming coaches wife was Jewish!” Or, “Really??”

It’s very difficult to make friends here. It seems like everyone made their friends through sorority rush, or came from high school with their friends. Greek life is HUGE here. It’s talked about 24/7. I’m a very friendly, outgoing person, who actually was in a sorority for a while, but it wasn’t for me.

I’m very bored at this school on the weekends in the Spring. Yes, there are fraternity parties and there’s a strip where there’s a few bars, but besides of this, there’s nothing. A bowling alley and a movie theater 15 minutes away don’t do it for me.

This school is also not very diverse, and diversity is very important to me.

THE MACHINE. Enough said. It’s DISGUSTING.

Last year, there were two very serious online threats made to this school. It was very, very scary.

Lastly, racism still exists here, which is very sad.

Remember that these are only the negatives that I have, and I’d appreciate if they weren’t “attacked” as I’m sure everyone’s had a different experience at this school.

Thanks for your comments and good luck with wherever you transfer to. Not meaning to discredit your complaints at all, but a couple of them are not unique to a southern school. At Minnesota (hardly bible belt), we also get our monthly distributor of bibles. Spring time brings the hardcore preachers who are usually good entertainment as they argue with the atheists. Campus outreach is, I reckon, common to most large campuses.

Another common complaint is the use of grads and TAs for lower division classes, especially intro level. I know it’s disappointing, but it’s fairly common for large research schools. Perhaps an LAC would have been a better fit for you?

As to the rest, thanks for the feedback. It’s good to hear different opinions and it helps shape what we will be looking for when we visit.

Again, good luck.

Thank you for expressing your feelings! These will be useful to others to read, I’m sure.

I will make the point of saying this: none of what you mentioned is hidden from view or not talked about at UA (and certainly it is public knowledge on forums such as this CC if you read thoroughly and carefully enough). All of what you talk about should come as no surprise to anyone. You’re not the only one to have those opinions nor to have been affected by things you have experienced. People visiting (esp OOS families and students) need to take a serious look at this school and decide for themselves if it is a good fit for them. Some people simply overlook all of the things that would make them not fit in here, and I’m not entirely sure why that is (and it happens at all schools and is ‘normal’)…and these students end up transferring out. It’s ok. The things you pointed out (and you mention several!) are easily discovered if you are thorough before enrolling. Some things you mentioned will resonate with others and be deal-breakers…and others won’t be bothered by the same things that bother you.

In college, it is incredibly important IMO to find, and do so fairly quickly, a support base of friends who are like-minded that you can relate to and hang with. This can be roommates, or people met early on in a variety of on-campus activities. (This is why AA, OA, Camp 1851, etc. are all important suggestions for incoming freshmen.) Get On Board Day offers many chances as well to get involved. There really is something for everyone at UA…if you seek it.

I am saddened that you have evidently not met a group of like-minded students who could help deflect or shield you from all that affects you. That would have made the difference between your staying and going, I’m quite certain. If you had those friends, or were active in other things on campus, then the academic habits of others, the dress ‘code’, the social media postings of others, the Greek-ness, etc…all would not matter as much to you - you would instead have been able to take an opportunity to stand out and do your best. The lack of diversity and a few other prickly subjects have been openly discussed on this forum…and I’m not sure how you missed them, if they were that important to you when choosing a college in the first place.

That said, I want to respond in a bit more depth to the academics at UA. My S is in a challenging major and is a junior. He has mentioned that even in that cohort of very bright students, there are some who just don’t come to class, who don’t take notes (rely on others to do for them), and who are fairly content, evidently, to scrape by with low grades. I find this quite astonishing, but it is what it is. On the positive side of this, having such students in his classes allowed him to shine all the more and to stand out as a serious student who makes the most of his opportunity. And, he is being rewarded incredibly well for that. I cannot fault UA for the behavior/attitude of its more laggard students in the classroom. You will find some of these students in every college, I’m quite sure.

Thank you again for posting - it took guts to do so, and I am sure that people will not attack you for what you have said. Good luck with your choices!

Future students should take note of what I’m really saying, which is to make sure you can fit into the campus before you even make the decision to attend there.

@charlottelol1 – Best of luck to you. It sounds like Alabama wasn’t a good fit and you will benefit from a change of pace.

For everyone else here are some suggestions to avoid the pitfalls that are leading charlottelol1 to transfer

Academics –
I am a big advocated of using all AP/IB credits whenever possible. This places the student in generally more interesting, advanced classes typically with students who have some interest in the subject matter. It helps avoid the issue of being taught by grad students/TAs – but understand that the mission of large universities is to prepare the professors of the future and they need to get teaching experience before they get their PhDs. If you don’t want to be taught by grad students, don’t attend a PhD granting institution – but going this route will often negatively impact the academic resources available to you at all but the best endowed smaller colleges.

No AP/IB at your high school? Take CLEP tests. They are offered in many of the same subjects and have the same advantages

Need to take the lower level classes for pre-med prerequisites or just cannot place out? Enjoy the opportunity to earn a good grade. Get to know the professors, who always appreciate having talented and motivated students. You will appreciate that you took the time to get to know your professors and do well in their classes when you need recommendations. And you might just end up with a TA job as a result – see “employment” below.

Math – many students taking the classes taught at the math technology learning center are non-STEM students repeating material they covered in high school as a means of easily knocking out their one core required math class with a good grade. For these students the self-paced format is often a benefit. If this is you, take advantage of the self-paced format, finish early and use the extra time to ace your other classes.

Not calc ready and not strong in math? Consider taking your lower level math classes at community college. Large universities are often not set up to teach classes lower than calculus because the presumption is that most students will come into college with four years of college prep math – meaning they have covered math at least through pre-calculus in high school. In contrast, community college math teachers tend overall to be really good at teaching basic math concepts.

Faith – It is a big part of Southern culture. If you aren’t interested in joining in, just politely decline invitations. Note that faith groups are not limited to Christian groups. There is an active Hillel at Alabama as well as a group for students who identify as atheist or agnostic. Regarding preachers on the Quad – that is just part of the public square and the right of free speech. You just cannot avoid this on large college campuses or in big cities. (Walk two blocks in any large city and you will likely run across a street preacher.) Enjoy the diversity of perspective and celebrate our constitutional liberties.

Friends/boredom – As a parent one of my biggest pet peeves is hearing kids complain about boredom. Interesting people find interesting things to do with other interesting people. Here are some ideas-

Arts and culture – the theater, dance and music departments have something going on every week. In fact, you can probably attend four or five music recitals in any given week. There are an opera and theatrical productions each semester. Enjoy the talents that your classmates are developing as future professionals in these fields. Visit the campus art galleries and museums. Prefer to perform? You can audition for most productions or if your talents aren’t quite at that level there are more casual groups as well.

Sports – there is more to Alabama than football. Some sport is in season all year long – basketball, baseball, gymnastics, swimming. Go support your fellow students.

Recreation – if you aren’t taking advantage of the rec center you should be. In addition to offering a variety of exercise classes, the rec has lots of interesting trips – like canoeing, mountain biking, backpacking, and caving. The calendar offers something every weekend. Intramurals also offer a great opportunity to make friends and be active – and there are usually several sports running concurrently. Not into sports? There is an active ballroom dancing club that offers free lessons for newcomers.

Community – no student should graduate from UA without attending the Hilaritas Christmas concert and Kentuck arts festival. Tour the Mercedes plant. Check out some of the galleries in downtown Northport. Sign up for a regular community service opportunity. You should know about and give something back to the community where you will spend four years.

Employment – most students can work 10 - 20 hours per week. And it has been shown students who work do better in their classes. Find a job – it will help your resume, fill some free time and give you spending money

The Machine. If everyone who complained about the Machine voted, the Machine would never win another election. (Maybe that is what happened this year!) If the Machine bothers you, get involved in campus politics. Join an SGA committee that deals with a topic that matters to you and move up in leadership.

None of these suggestions are unique to UA. Any university of any significant size will offer these sorts of opportunities. It is important to realize that once you hit college you are responsible for your own time and for the way you choose to fill it. Your parents are not there to sign you up for a dance class, make you join a sports team or cajole you to audition for a theater production – but if you don’t do these sorts of things you will find yourself sitting at home while your friends are out making college memories.

@charlottelol1‌

I, too, appreciate your honesty and wish you the best of luck at your new school.

For the sake of those reading and still evaluating UA, however, could you share a little bit about where you lived (was it honors housing or a traditional dorm?), your major or academic interests, and whether or not you participated in Hillel? Perhaps others can learn from your disappointments.

I also appreciate all the thoughtful responses. No school is the right school for every student. Do your due diligence before making your final decision. Generous scholarships can make some disappointments easy to overlook, and most large universities will have issues similar to the ones enumerated by Charlotte, but it’s important to make sure you’re someone for whom a smaller school might not be a better fit.

Also, if Charlotte were an accepted student making a decision this year, I’d recommend joining the Blount Initiative living-learning community and taking as many honors sections of classes as possible. My son is an honors engineer living in Blount, and with no AP credits coming in, he couldn’t really participate in their academic offerings, but his Blount friends are all very bright, academically impressive students with whom he’s formed some wonderful relationships. My son did great first semester and has been very happy at UA, but we all attribute much of that happiness to his housing placement into Blount, which operates more like a liberal arts college dormitory and is tiny compared to the suite-style housing options at UA.

@LucieTheLakie I lived in Honors housing. I did participate in Hillel, and it was a very nice experience. The ladies who run it are very nice. I’ve heard great things about Blount.

@paying4collegex4 I agree with many of her suggestions. I WISH I would have taken CLEP tests, or AP classes. And I HIGHLY!!! recommend taking math classes at a community college. That’s what my sister is currently doing. Yes, I’ve enjoyed participating in Hillel but it’s a quite small group, unfortunately. And you’re right, I really wish I made a great group of friends. I’ve actually been to a few orchestra shows, and they weren’t for me, but many students seemed to enjoy them a lot. About your sports comment, the sports events are fun to go to, but not so much if you’re going alone, or ask a bunch of people to go, and they all say no. I’ve never heard of Hilaritas Christmas Concert. There are negatives at every university, and I’m definitely being picky, and I also want to be closer to home, and believe that a city school is a better place for me.

@aeromom I would like to make it clear that I joined two other organizations, and have been very left out. The people who joined both of the other organizations I’m a part of are cliquey, and I’m very left out. I’ve tried.

I’d also like to point out that two of my friends have been sexually assaulted by students, one off campus, and one on campus. I’m not going to give any details about this or where, because it’s not my place to share, but this has taken a toll on me. I understand that this does happen at every university, unfortunately.

@khidhala Thank you! I’m going to mention that I am not miserable at this school, as my negative input makes it seem. I’m actually just “not happy,” and there’s a big difference in miserable and not happy. And many students here are very, very happy.

I’d like to respond to this: “None of these suggestions are unique to UA. Any university of any significant size will offer these sorts of opportunities. It is important to realize that once you hit college you are responsible for your own time and for the way you choose to fill it. Your parents are not there to sign you up for a dance class, make you join a sports team or cajole you to audition for a theater production – but if you don’t do these sorts of things you will find yourself sitting at home while your friends are out making college memories.”

Sorry, I don’t want to put the names of the organizations because I don’t want to be identified.

I’d just like to make it clear that I HAVE joined three campus organizations and have been very left out. One I dropped, after participating in five or so events, and have tried talking to people and have been left out because my talents are not as close as theirs, in this specific organization.

Another was an academic organization, where I traveled with my team. Very nice people, but again, I was very left out. Often at restaurants, sitting alone, with no one to ask me if I wanted to sit with them.

The last one was more friendly, but everyone arrived and left with their friends. It was awkward. I’d sit with them and they’d just talk about their weekend drama and whisper to one another, and speak about inside jokes, and leave together.

@paying4collegex4‌

@aeromom I’m sure if I did follow CC and read the posts, most of this would not have been hidden. I honestly fell in love with the school when I visited. The campus is STUNNING. Everyone seemed so nice and friendly. The dorms are GORGEOUS. I love the weather here. The Ferg is great. I wanted to be in a sorority, and Greek life is very prevalent here. This school is out of state for me, and I just wanted to leave my hometown. I didn’t read the negatives, which I should have.

I had to snicker a bit reading those comments. My first visit to UA over the weekend and my sons second. SO many girls we saw wearing the long shirts over gym shorts where you had to look twice if they were wearing any shorts. I must admit it was ridiculous and funny. No sense of style and most were clones of each other. Many boys also with their dress shorts in a variety of colors with name brand polo shirts. Really? My son said he wont’t be dressing like a clone. We’ll see I guess.

We did have a variety of speeches from honors college kids. Not all were eloquent and annunciated what they had to say. One did say she was a wallflower growing up and couldn’t even speak in large groups, so if that’s the case, yes she did come a long way. I think if they didn’t have the Honors College and the many opportunities they allow you to trailblaze, UA wouldn’t even have been on the radar, and my son would’ve passed it by. The large scholarship money and the promises of the Honors College has him still interested.

charlottelol1,

So sorry to hear that you aren’t happy. Are you a junior? I’m happy to hear that you have tried several things during your freshman and sophomore years. Greek life isn’t for everyone. Mine had no interest in it. I can see how it might make a student feel they have an instant group with which they could identify. Making new friends can be difficult. Did you attend any of the early activities such as Alabama Action or Camp 1831? No school will be a perfect fit for every student. I’m glad you’re able to work out a transfer.

I don’t think anyone would want to attack you for sharing your experience, but I’d like to address a couple of things.

“Last year, there were two very serious online threats made to this school. It was very, very scary.”

“Lastly, racism still exists here, which is very sad.”

Both of these issues are true of many schools. Threats were made across the nation at colleges and universities. Yes, it was scary. It is troubling that we live in a society where someone thinks this is something they should do.

Racism exists everywhere. It isn’t exclusive to in state students either.

“Christianity is very important here.”

“diversity is very important to me.”

Yes, Christianity is prevalent in the state. Is that a negative for you? I’m actually proud of that fact, but there are many other religious beliefs that are actively represented on campus.

“Many of the students in my classes have been very dumb.”

“I’ve taken over 20 classes here, and for the most part, students do NOT take notes. It’s very strange. I know this is a party school, but this is very weird to me. I feel like I’m the only one that pays attention in some of my classes. Also, students don’t always go to class here or do their homework.”

What’s your major? Are you in the Honors College? You’re going to find students within any major at any school who think they can float by, and perhaps some do. Many of these students won’t make it to graduation unless they buckle down. I’m glad you have remained focused and realize the importance of working hard. I can assure you that you will find there are many very bright and hard working students on campus. There will be partiers at any large school. Mine like to have fun and hang out with friends, but they are far from partiers. They would tell you they don’t have the time.

Thanks for sharing your experience and best of luck on your transfer. Where are you headed?

@bamagirls I will be a junior. I’m a sophomore right now. Yes, I’m in the Honors College. No, it’s not a negative that Christianity is prevalent, but it’s a negative when people are not accepting of other religions and put your religion down. I don’t want to say what school I’m going to on here, because I want to remain anonymous, but if you message me, I’ll tell you!

@bamagirls I understand that it’s popular at party schools to not care, and not always work hard, but the amount of not caring- is ridiculous at this school, and makes me ashamed. It’s honestly embarrassing to be one of the only few people taking notes in class, and this is one of the reasons I’m transferring to a better school. I visited this other school, and sat in on a class, and in the class of 75, about 70 were taking notes and paying attention. It was amazing. I asked if this is normal in most of their classes, and they laughed when I explained that at my school, many students don’t attend class, don’t pay attention, and don’t take notes.

Racism exists everywhere. It isn’t exclusive to in state students either.
@bamagirls‌ I agree, and I know it’s the South, and I’m not saying this is just in Alabama. I’m just ready to attend a school with more open-minded people.

@‌bamagirls

Not to be rude… but you ignored the rest of what I said “I’ve taken over 20 classes here, and for the most part, students do NOT take notes. It’s very strange. I know this is a party school, but this is very weird to me. I feel like I’m the only one that pays attention in some of my classes. Also, students don’t always go to class here or do their homework.” Of course, this is college, but I’m saying, in my computer science class, there’s 25 people. For one assignment, four people turned it in on time, online. In my history class, one day, I looked around and counted how many people came to class. I remember it being about 25/40.

I made it clear that it’s not everyone who’s not taking notes or not doing their homework, or studying for tests. I’m saying it’s a lot more than you’d think.

@rdtsmith Lol yeah. No one will deny there is a “dress code” at this school. It’s very strange… but the clothes ARE comfy!!! :slight_smile: LOL

"Not to be rude… but you ignored the rest of what I said "

Whoaa there, charlottel0l1. I didn’t ignore what you said at all. I wasn’t implying that you said no was is studying, taking notes, or doing homework,. What I said was everyone isn’t going to have the same work ethic no matter where you attend school.

My girls are in various majors. I think you’ll find that as you move up within your major, many of those students won’t be there. I can tell you that a professor recently commented to her students in one of my student’s classes that if they thought they would skate by in her class they would find they wasted their time when applying to grad schools.

Some students aren’t ready for college. Some are happy with making average grades. Some won’t be able to handle the independence of being away at school. That happens everywhere. Keep in mind that your views are from your personal perspective just as anyone else’s, but it would be an unfair generalization if someone were to read this and make a generalization about the school as a whole.

“but it’s a negative when people are not accepting of other religions and put your religion down.”

If someone has made you feel this way that is horrible. I don’t like it when others put down my religion either or makes generalizations or assumptions about everyone in the South being racists. I’m not implying that you did, but I don’t like it when people do.

I appreciate your sharing your experience. I am happy for you that you will be able to transfer and I wish you well.