What does HYO mean in course designation?

<p>What does HYO mean next to an Honors course, such as UH 120, section 4, “TemptationHnExpl:HYO Temptation/Control - 47020 - UH 120 - 004”.
Can any Honors student reg for this type of class, or is it a special group of students, like CBHP or IHP?</p>

<p>Honors Year One? I’m not sure.</p>

<p>That was my guess.</p>

<p>Maybe they changed it to HYO to avoid the trouble that incoming frosh had with soph/jr standing?</p>

<p>So only Freshman can take a class called HYO, then? One of the classes my S was interested in just changed its designation, so I guess he can’t take it now…</p>

<p>Also, can a regular Honors student take a UH 105 class designated IHP, or are those classes reserved only for IHP students, much like UFE/Black Belt is only for Fellows?</p>

<p>Son needs class with Honors + SB attribute designations, if anyone has any ideas. Taking Honors Psych and Honors Econ, but needs 1 more. All of the UH105 mentoring classes clash with proposed schedule.</p>

<p>HYO is Honors Year One. That’s the general name for the first-year Honors program, so those classes are for incoming freshmen. There are currently 0 spots open in these classes, but more will open when the freshmen start to register.</p>

<p>It’s my understanding that the IHP designation is going away next year (at least as far as the program/recognition goes). I would talk to an advisor (maybe Jim in the Honors College office if your own is too busy) about the possibility of registering for an IHP-labeled class. The classes for next semester are full, however.</p>

<p>As far as a UH SB class goes (assuming you want to knock out both requirements with a single class), your options are really limited to :
Hon. Microecon.
Hon. Macro.
IHP
Hon. Cooperation & Conflict (New College)
Hon. Psych.
UH Mentoring (UH 105)
And of course, you always have the option to take a non-Honors SB class and/or a non-SB Honors class.</p>

<p>I have found this link for all Honors courses very helpful, and have used it a lot to give S advice: [All</a> Courses | Honors College](<a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/]All”>http://honors.ua.edu/academics/honors-courses/all-courses/) I like it because it is one of the few places that you can find (easily) the P/F vs standard grading attributes for each Honors class.</p>

<p>My S found the SW 205 “History of Social Welfare in the US” class also will satisfy his S/B + Honors req, so he dropped out of IHP 155 and added SW instead. (He did this because SW 205 is not taught in Spring - only the Fall, whereas IHP 155 was taught both semesters.) I hope he knows what he’s doing! He was going to take IHP 155 in Spring 2014, but I guess he will have to find something else now. He already has both Honors MicroEcon and Honors Psych.</p>