What does it take to get accepted to CS at Stony Brook (in-state)?

Wondering what type of stats are needed to get accepted directly to CS major as a freshman at Stony Brook as in-state student? Will going test-optional be detrimental even in presence of high GPA? Do you think they will remain test-optional next year? What are they looking at the most to fill the CS major?

My older student was bitterly disappointed last year with rejection from cs at Stony, as he had the good GPA from specialized NY high school and strong SATs that matched the described stats listed on their webpage for typical stats admitted to cs major. My younger one is a junior aiming at Stony for computer science and while his GPA is great and ECs are average, he is not a good test taker, so wondering how others fare who apply test optional specifically for cs at Stony.

Has anyone gotten an acceptance/rejection letter from Stony Brook University with a Major in Computer Science? I applied in November but I haven’t received any notice about it.

1 Like

yeah i got accepted 2 days ago for AOI CS

1 Like

Just curious what is aoi

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? Just wanna see what it takes this year.

From Stony Brook’s website: Pre-majors are placed into the Area of Interest (AOI ) program and to be eligible for the degree, they must be admitted to and declare the major.

Check the website to learn the requirements for acceptance to the major. Usually it involves a minimum GPA in certain courses.

Do you have any acceptances where you were directly admitted into the major?

sure! I have a 97 GPA and a 1450 SAT. I had a lot of leadership positions as well but i didnt rlly have any ec’s relating comp sci