What exactly is the Undergraduate Studies Program?

<p>What classes do you take?</p>

<p>I was in USP my freshman year. It is for people unsure of what they want to major in. Basically, you will take very general classes that will count toward a lot of majors. Such as english, speech, math, and intro classes to majors you are interested in. You will also take one USP class (your advisor will be the teacher) the fall semester of your freshman year. In this class you will look into majors that interest you, find out majors that will be a good fit for you, and find out more about who you are basically. It is a really easy class and helps a lot. You also have to attend lectures about certain majors at Purdue; it’s listed as a “class” on your schedule but you only have to go a couple times. But after fall semester, that’s all you have to take.</p>

<p>It is really helpful if you truly have no idea what to major in; but you can only be in USP for two years then you have to declare a major (you can whenever you want of course but that’s the 4 semesters is max you can be in USP). And the advisors are really helpful, they pretty much know everything about Purdue majors and help a ton.</p>

<p>I know some of you guys will be in USP because you did not get into your first choice major and are just waiting to transfer in the spring. And this is unfortunate, because USP was not established for this reason at all. However, it is really the only good option (I blame Purdue) for many who did not get their first choice, so I understand.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! You really explained it better than the website. </p>

<p>Well, yesterday you answered my question about not getting into nursing fall semester (i called this morning and is all fixed, I just need a major.) so would it be a good idea to select USP and then transfer into nursing? I know you said this isn’t the purpose, but I’m not very sure what other major to choose to get me into nursing. </p>

<p>Thanks :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I may be worrying about this a bit too much. I have already been accepted Into nursing programs at the other places I’ve applied. But purdue is just confusing me right now. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Yes, it would probably be a good idea to do USP. Mainly because your advisor will keep you on track and give you any overrides you may need for certain classes. They will also tell you all about transferring into nursing and what you need to do to get accepted into the program (the websites and plans of study can really be deceiving for some majors).</p>

<p>Once again, thank you so so much. I’m waiting for my letter in the mail to change it, then they said I am guaranteed admission which definately puts me at ease. But you have answered all the questions that the website did not help out with at all.</p>