What goes on in the minds of the parents who push their kids so hard?

Plenty of people hate being doctors even though they attended medical school at 25, not 18.

8 Likes

My future dil was pushed to med school by her US born, non-ethnic, educator parents. She went along with it all through college up until 2020 when she was a Junior in college. Her MCAT was cancelled and she did some soul searching and realized that she would be miserable going through med school, internships and residency. (She had a 3.97 GPA, would have done well on the MCAT, and lots of hours outside of school). She determined that she wanted to be a PA not an MD and that is what would make her happy. She told her parents and they would not talk to her, took away all the money they had saved for years for her education (she had a full ride undergrad so hadn’t used it) that they had promised she could have for Med school and still ask her every time she is home when she will be taking the MCAT? Umm never, she is in her first year of PA school. When trying to figure out why this was so important the mom just said that her daughter would be wasting her life as a PA and that everyone she knew expected the daughter to become a Dr. Now she is pushing one of the younger children in that direction and telling them they will get their sister’s education money plus their own. I do not get it either. She is very happy doing what she is doing. She is getting married this summer (her mom is fine with that decision) and my son will be a DVM. They will have a great life. I do not get what her mom’s issue is so I’m with you on not getting it.

3 Likes

I know that for some of my kids’ friends’ parents, the big push for their kids to pursue only certain professions comes from a place of: (a) wanting financial security for your kids in their adulthood; (b) wanting them to have a stable job where you won’t worry about them paying their bills; (c) coming from very humble beginnings in their country of origin (not the US).

This is a topic that my DH & I have debated on and off for the past 2 yr. ODD (D24) is in 11th grade and our younger child is a 9th grader. D24 is really interested in all things biology & healthcare. DH picked up on that right away and started pushing D24 to consider med school after college. I mean
he started talking about this when she was in 9th grade. (insert eye roll here) :slight_smile:

For awhile, D24 would say that she wanted to become a doctor. But when you asked her WHY, it was “so I can make money.” DH’s ultimate reason for wanting D24 to become a doctor?

So he can brag about it.

I told him flat out that’s the dumbest reason in the world for you to be pushing our kid through $200-$400k of grad school loans, about 10 yr of hard core studying & cramming and all that
just because you want to brag to your friends and other relatives that your kid is a doctor.

So DH then switched gears and started pushing D24 to pursue computer science or engineering instead. Again, for bragging rights
and so “she can get a useful degree and so I can have some ‘return on investment’ on paying for college.” :slight_smile: More bickering then between DH & I behind closed doors.

Thankfully, D24 is outspoken and told DH to back off and stop nagging her because she’s not going to be an engineer.

During last summer through this past fall, I had conversations periodically w/D24 where we’d explore different Youtube videos, watch online presentations & stuff like that which would compare the different types of health professions typical grad schools - MD/DO, dental school, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, PA, physical therapy. The info we found was really helpful and it laid out the pros and cons of each.

D24 did some thinking about it and at least for now, has decided that med school probably isn’t for her. Why? She wants to be able to have a life outside of work. She also wants to get married and maybe have kids some day and knows that’s a lot of work
and doesn’t want to have to miss out on a lot of stuff because she has to work nights and weekends and every holiday as a resident.
So she’s most interested right now in the PA route.

Is that where she’ll end up career-wise? No idea. The kid is only 16 1/2. She can change her mind. Meanwhile, my DH is mourning the doctor or engineer which will never be. I periodically remind him that the goal is for our kids to end up responsible, well-adjusted adults who can support themselves and there’s a lot of ways to achieve that.

so he’s now switched to D26 and wants her to study computer science. She, too, is pretty open w/DH & I and has told DH that right now, computer science is out because of all the math, but MIS is a strong possibility (she’s taking a computer science class at school this year and likes it).

3 Likes

These plus bragging rights.
I heard a comedian (forget his name, maybe Hassan Minhaj??) say that for most Asian families from the subcontinent career options are a doctor, an engineer or a failure.

3 Likes

Hmmm, do they appreciate the work of the “failures” delivering food and other goods that they use?

Only if they become successful:

Fast forward to ~2 min.

3 Likes

Poor thing; luckily she has your DS and you. Our neighbor is a PA; he immigrated decades ago and went to school in the states. He actually bought his whole practice years ago. They raised 3 children, have a great business and live in a million dollar+ house on the lake, doesn’t sound too shabby of a life to me :smile: A lot of people in our neighborhood are PA’s or CNP’s; I don’t get why people would consider it a “lesser” career; I just don’t understand some people.

3 Likes

From a parent’s point-of-view, you need to push your kids, otherwise they don’t learn things like hard work, self respect, and the confidence gained from seeing the fruits of work. And, we have to expect that a teenager isn’t going to like it. Their first instinct is to take the car and play with their friends without restrictions. THAT part can be psychologically damaging if left unchecked. Sleeping-in until noon, being on Instagram, and playing in the evening can lead to things like eating disorders, or worse. That happened to us during summer vacation. The parent’s job is to reign that in. That does the opposite of psychological damage. It teaches them balance, which will serve them well in college, and family later. Are we pushing our daughter to get into Harvard? No, but we expect her to study and get good grades.

4 Likes

A lot depends on the kid, though. My daughter pushes herself harder than I ever could and, in fact, NEEDS me to be the one to tell her to slow down, spend time with friends, relax, etc. If I pushed in tandem with her own self-pushing, she would likely end up with a nervous breakdown. Sometimes kids need just the opposite from their parents - someone to tell them that it’s OK not to be perfect, that you don’t have to break your back working, and that’s it OK if you aren’t able to do everything.

11 Likes

You’re right
I might be the anomaly here. CC tends to attract high/over achieving kids.

I don’t know if you’re an anomaly
I think it’s just a reminder that all kids have their own personality and individual needs and it’s up to parents to recognize what their kid needs to do well and to meet those needs - whether that means pushing a bit, or backing off. There’s no one size fits all in parenting - and I actually think that’s a mistake that some parents make, they take various advice and “tried and true” parenting methods and apply those to their own kids without considering their kid’s individuality and personality type.

5 Likes

How many people do you know who say “I wish my parents had made me keep playing the piano!” I am guessing that few of these kids enjoyed it. But the experience planted the seed that good things can come of enduring some unhappiness.

The same mentality makes parents drive their kids - they feel they understand the outcome/suffering trade-off better than their kids do. They want their kids to be successful, even if they are misguided by what success is and can be. And for those who have faced discrimination, there is often a sense that certain credentials and careers provide some insulation from that.

It’s misguided and regrettable but rarely malicious.

My son was the same way. He needed to be pulled back pretty hard, whereas my daughter needed to be pushed.

Because of these differences, my college recommendations to them were quite different. My daughter thrived at a place known for being demanding, and there she found out what she was capable of. My son is thriving at a place where the program can be as easy or difficult as students want it to be. He now challenges himself in his major and takes easy classes otherwise.

1 Like

That’s interesting because I’ve also been trying to encourage my daughter into a less competitive college environment, simply because I want her to be able to relax a bit for once and not burn out before she’s 20. Of course, that is not what she wants. In the end, however, it’s will be in the hands of the AOs

1 Like

Note that this can depend on desired major and career path as well as college. Pre-med tends to be more competitive, while colleges that have competitive secondary admission to popular majors can also have a more competitive environment in those majors’ prerequisite courses.

2 Likes

Yes, but only to a point. At every level of ranking you can find colleges that are extremely demanding, and others that are much less demanding. For example, Cornell is ranked roughly the same as Brown, but they couldn’t be more different.

1 Like

And within any of those colleges you can always find more demanding options. For example I pushed S to apply to prestigious graduate scholarships (Truman and Marshall). Even though he didn’t win, the process itself (which involved planning activities over two years starting early in sophomore year of college) was rewarding, particularly in helping him think strategically about his future.

But it works for some personality types (kids who are driven and competitive) and not for others.

5 Likes

My high achieving son chose a lower ranked school that had a great pre-veterinary track. He had a “relaxed” undergrad - as much as you can in classes full of pre-med and pre-vet students. His classes were very challenging and he was able to start vet school after 3 years with top grades and not as stressed out as others and is at the top of his class in his third year competing against a lot of kids from high ranking schools. So saying this it depends on the student, and the degree as to how hard you push and where/if you push them to go to certain ranked schools.

2 Likes

I want to agree with you, but at my school I see people who don’t really enjoy it and they end up failing out, so its really painful. Its kind of good to weed them out before they get to that point.

There are as many education systems in Europe as the number of European countries. Your statement about Europe is a sweeping generalization and as such inherently incorrect.
I grew up in one of those European countries and was the first one in my working class family to attend university, thanks in great part to the fact that the university admissions system was straightforward and costs were affordable. My older brother tracked into vocational training at age 14, had a successful and well paid career as a draftsman, and at age 25 passed the exam that allowed him to attend university as a mature student. There are several ways to get into university even if you don’t follow the direct route.

7 Likes