What happens to undeclared students with 90 units or more at SJSU?

My son entered SJSU as undeclared in 2021. He was working towards a CS transfer but did not get in, even though he met the criteria. So now he has to start all over again. His counselor suggested to try Data Science or Computer Engineering, but these require a few extra pre-requisite courses and they can’t assure a place.
I can see that he will end up with too many courses trying these different transfers and I am afraid that he then becomes stuck in undeclared.

I see a lot of information that the student should declare a major by 60 units and must declare by 90 units, etc.

" * Students should be in a degree granting major by the time they have earned 60 units.

• All declared students who want to change majors or add minors should do so before earning 90 units."

But I see no information that explains what happens if someone just can’t get a major and ends up with 90+ units. Does anyone know what happens in then or has prior experience?

Part 2: So I am thinking that as plan B, he should apply as a transfer student to other lower CSUs and other colleges where he can likely get the majors he wants - Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Data Science. But it is hard to find the transferability of SJSU units to other CSUs. Are the units generally transferable between CSUs?

Your son should first start by asking these questions of the SJSU academic advisor.

Here is the information regarding how to declare a major with 90 units or more:

Students with 90 or more units must obtain approval signatures from the major advisor, Department Chair, and College Associate Dean of the major they wish to enter. Students changing to undeclared or undeclared-prenursing major must submit the completed form to Undergraduate Advising and Success Center (UASC) in Administration 150. The completed forms need to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

Transferring between CSU’s is definitely possible but it would be up to each CSU to determine the transferability of the courses taken at SJSU and if they have a maximum limit of transfer units that they will accept. Also colleges have a minimum number of units required to be taken at their institution to be eligible for a degree, so transferring with a high unit count may still require another 2 years at the institution. It might be better to stay at SJSU and complete the DS or Comp Eng program at SJSU.

1 Like