what is a good high school gpa to get into virginia tech?

<p>Im a junior now, and im very interested in this school. However im scared i might cant attend. I have 3.5 gpa, is that good enough to get in, except engineering? Im good science.</p>

<p>Does your school have the +1 for APs and +.5 for honors? If so, you need at least a 3.8. But if it is just +0.5 for APs, a 3.5-3.6 is good, if your SAT scores is in the 1300 range for engineering.</p>

<p>^ I’m going to disagree and give my standard response because it bears repeating here. It’s going to look familiar because it’s the same response I gave you on your other thread. I’m only reposting because I really disagree with giving people flat answers to GPA questions. Just take a look at this year’s accepted students thread, it varies.</p>

<p>Your GPA is not the best indicator in that it’s subjective to your school. VT is very regional with Nova, Richmond, and Tidewater areas being very competitive, lots of AP, IB, specialty programs, and high GPAs. The more rural areas of the state are an entirely different ballgame. Don’t misunderstand me, the students are just as capable of success, smart, and have much to offer, but their transcripts will look different because the opportunities available were different. </p>

<p>Your best bet is to speak to your GC and see what successful candidates have looked like in course rigor, GPA, scores, and ECs. No matter where you are from you will be expected to have taken advantage of the most advanced courses available and done well. If the top students at your school take 3-5 APs and have a 3.75uw this gives you a better indicator then a random stranger who insists that 7APs and no less then a 3.9uw is necessary.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>I agree with blueiguana. I’m from a rural area in Southwest, VA. The school I attended doesn’t have an AP or IB program. The closest my school gets is college credit and that is through a community college around 40 miles away. There are very few extracurricular activities. My high school class was around 130 students. 75% of my class had GPAs in the 0.0 - 2.49 range. The other 25% was 2.5+. From there, the GPAs skipped multiple points at once with only around 5-6 people being at or over a 4.0. I graduated with a 4.055 GPA and was ranked very high in my class. The overall SAT average at my school is very low. I think the average for college bound students was 1100-1200/2400. Most of them ended up at the community college I mentioned. Even with the crappy system at my school, I still managed to get at least a 1200/1600. So like blueigunana said, it is about where you live. If I had lived in Nova, VT probably would have laughed at my credentials and tossed my application in the reject pile. You should definitely talk to your counselor and see who was accepted and who was rejected. Then compare your credentials to theirs and see if you should consider applying.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the responses. Im from the tidewater area, however my school isnt that competitive. Most college bound ppl take one or two Ap’s in sophmore and junior year, and 3 in senior year. I will talk to my counselor though, but thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>In general, I would say to not worry so much about your grades and simply try your best. When people start analyzing what sort of grade they need for everything they tend to stress themselves out and cave into pressure. If you display a strong performance senior year and do well on the SAT/ACT you’ll get in.</p>

<p>i got into engineering with 3.38.</p>

<p>VT has accepted 90% of all applicant from my school (public, Connecticut). Their GPA’s have ranged from 3.0’s - 3.7’s and 1700’s - 2100’s. We have the +.5 for honors/AP rule.</p>

<p>I have a 3.6 GPA and 1970 SAT and am calling VT a low target. I think that it’s fair.</p>