What is best for me?

Hello all,

I am a Texas resident and I am trying to decide between A&M and UT. I have been accepted to Undergraduate Studies at UT and Engineering at A&M. I had my mind set on UT, but earlier today I was notified of my acceptance into the honors engineering program at A&M. I like the idea of engineering, and I have always wanted to study it, but I don’t really know if it is the right fit for me. Most of my friends are accepted/going to UT, and I can’t help but feel like I would be making the biggest mistake of my life yet by passing up on either offer (Great social scene/academics at UT vs. great opportunity and amazing engineering program at A&M). What do you guys think? What are the advantages of each?

I post this here because I know more about UT, not to spark conflict/animosity. I’ve visited A&M very shortly and didn’t enjoy College Station too much at first, but then again I haven’t had enough time to explore it.

Thanks!

UT’s engineering program is on par (if not slightly better) with A&M’s. So you should rest assured that both schools are great opportunities for engineering students and base your decision on other aspects.

Personally, if I was in your position I’d choose UT since you said most of your friends are going there. Then again, it may be a great experience to start off fresh and make new friends, so TAMU would be the ideal choice in that regard.

Honestly I don’t think either school really has a substantial advantage over the other, so it all comes down to your personal preference.

You are the first person I have seen that has been admitted UGS to UT. Did you not apply to Engineering? Most applicants to engineering there have been accepted or are still waiting.

If you want to do engineering, transferring in from UGS at UT will require very high grades the first year. You need a back up plan. On the other hand, at A&M you are not guaranteed your choice of engineering majors, but the fact that you qualified for honors indicates you have a better shot than others.

But since you are not sure about engineering, not sure how much all that matters.

Choosing your college based on where your friends in high school are going is dicey. Both schools are so large, the odds that you will drift apart are pretty high.

As for CS versus Austin, there is more to do in Austin but it is not likely you’ll ever be bored in CS unless you are not trying. If live music is a big deal to you, then Austin is probably a better fit. If you are studying engineering, you aren’t going to be spending a lot of time partying at either school.

It sounds like you need to go to A&M and really check it out. You don’t mention if you visited UT.

Being a parent, an offered degree plan of engineering at TAMU with honors, would be a no brainer from a costs standpoint. You can always go visit Austin on weekends and see your HS friends on visits home.

The likelihood of you transferring into McCombs or Cockrell is highly unlikely but not completely impossible. During our engineering and business schools tours and break out sessions, it was mentioned in both that it is easier to be admitted into these programs as a freshman, than internal transferring into them.

Don’t choose UT because your friends are going there. Pick it because it is the right fit for you and your major. My son is still waiting on his UT decision. He has a few friends going but they are in different majors and they won’t room together. Austin is more of his vibe. However, he did like the campus at TAMU and will attend there for engineering if not offered full admissions to Cockrell, where many of his really good friends are already and more will be headed next fall. He would be happy there as well, but Austin just fits him.

you said you are still not sure that Engineering is right for you. Answer this question - Do you love math? If you cannot answer yes, then run away from Engineering as fast as you can.

Going to school where your friends go has its advantages for one semester. After that you will hopefully make new friends as well. I went to college with two of my better hs friends and by the second year I rarely if ever saw them even though they lived in a dorm not five minutes away. My best friends in life are a couple of guys I met in the dorm my freshman year.

Go with your heart. It is nice to go to college with your friends but to make the most out of your college experience you have to meet new people. Go make your own path. At A&M you will have a major. Engineering is difficult but it is rewarding. At UT you will not have a major and it is pretty competitive if you want to internally transfer into McCombs or Cockrell. If you like the big city go with UT. A&M has that college town feel. You will see lots of students everywhere you go. Football is very big here. People are passionate about the university and friendly. I can see why people sometimes do not like A&M. It is a small town compared to Austin and there may not be many things to do here. Student organizations help keep you busy. Go with what you think is the best decision for you. Good luck