What is best type of engineering to major in? What size are they?

<p>For an undecided engineering major, what are some pluses and minuses about the various engineering majors. Such as which are getting jobs, size and teachers, etc. Thanks.</p>

<p>There is no one “best” type of engineering to major in. If you’re an entering freshman don’t worry about it, the college of engineering really focuses on exposing you to several different types of engineering during your first two semesters.</p>

<p>There has to be some areas that have a brighter future, or more in demand, or have something unique and interesting about them. Then, specifically at Tech, which are big, and which are small and have more interactions with professors. Is there a new area that most don’t think of. Something unique and interesting?</p>

<p>Also, which has the better teachers. All the engineering students that I know there say that the first two years you have to teach yourself because the teachers are so bad. Either they don’t want to be there or you can’t understand them. Many say it’s ranked so high only because the so brilliant ones that can teach themselves survive.</p>

<p>What about the bright kid who can survive but needs really good teachers. I need to know in which areas will you find smaller classes, and great teachers who will get to know you and provide great references, etc.</p>

<p>Choose what you enjoy learning the most, that’s important. I don’t like giving tautology but that has to be handed out every time. Chemical engineering from VT is reported to produce VT’s highest paying engineering graduates with a BS. It’s also their smallest, it’s the one I’m going into.</p>

<p>They all have bright futures. Seriously, do not choose what engineering you go into based on a marginal average pay difference of maybe $2000. Find something you like to do.</p>

<p>The average means nothing to the individual. If you’re in engineering and you do pretty well and are a well rounded person it isn’t going to matter which branch you’re in as far as salary goes. </p>

<p>Being in a small major is nice though. For about 16 more hours I’m an undergrad in MSE and we graduate about 30 people per year. I know all of my classmates and professors, and it’s pretty cool. Plus companies generally have no idea what we really do so you can usually convince them you’re qualified for their job. I convinced a company we were sort of like civil engineering so I could get an internship one summer. We aren’t.</p>

<p>Being in materials, would you have taken a lot of classes similar to chemical engineering? I feel they are a lot alike.</p>

<p>You choose your major in the spring of your first year. You will have been exposed to many areas and have a much better idea of your strengths and interests. Engineering is NOT for the faint of heart. Go with what you love or it will all be miserable.</p>

<p>Yeah, MSE and ChemE are sort of similar. I’ve heard it said that Materials is Chemical but with solids (or vice versa)</p>

<p>If you start with engineering and decide it’s not for you, what are some other good majors that Tech offers that you could use your math and science and might be similar to engineering.</p>

<p>Biochemistry is an awesome major, though I am biased for it since I love biochemistry and wish I could major in it =(. It encompasses math and science pretty well.</p>

<p>A CS major is pretty related to engineering in a way. As well, subject majors like Physics and Chemistry fit your description.</p>

<p>Who are getting a lot of job offers?</p>

<p>Good well-rounded students are getting a lot of job offers.</p>

<p>People with solid internship experience and leadership experience are getting job offers.</p>