What is each UC strong in?

<p>My intent was not to knock UCR… and you are right, it gets a bad rep for being too easy to get into. This thread is not about UCR, so this is not the place to talk about why UCR is the way it is… there are plenty of those threads in the UCR subforum.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Davis biology is by no means weak, but it’s definitely not as strong as he enshrines it to be. UCLA is at the very least on par with Davis in biology. So, to dub it “arguably the strongest” first and then flounder to say it’s “at least top 3” does other schools injustice.</p>

<p>I have never heard that Davis fuels 50% of NorCal’s biotech. That is a stretch even for the Genentech facility in Vacaville (it’s very close to Davis), let alone the entire NorCal. NorCal’s biotech is fueled primarily by Stanford, Berkeley, Davis, SJSU, SCU, SFSU. I highly doubt the number of Davis grads bound for biotech even exceed half of the college grads in NorCal, let alone dominate the job market.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s great in environmental biology. But to call it the strongest in biology (the entire field) would be an overstatement.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The value each person puts on a ranking varies. It’s obvious that you value other rankings (perhaps US News) more such that you would pose a question as if there is a UCR stigma that makes its biology program intrinsically inferior to that of Davis.</p>

<p>There are many schools that aren’t ranked high nationally but still have excellent programs. Such schools include UIUC, Georgia Tech, Univ. of Minnesota, etc. These schools have engineering programs that trump those of Ivy League schools.</p>

<p>Why not next time when someone asks if UC, XXX’s XYZ program is any good we just link them to the ranking? Because that seems to be all we talk about here. And since we all develop an affection for our institution, no one here can claim to speak objectively. Worse yet, the only “reputable” source to back up our claim is the flawed ranking system. So…really, what are we arguing here? If you are happy at one place, be happy. But don’t taunt down on other institutions.</p>

<p>Welcome to CC, UCRUCR.</p>

<p>UC Merced is good if you cant get into UCR. and UCR is good if you cant get into all the other UC’s</p>

<p>Bagels- Nice logic.</p>

<p>yeah I know</p>

<p>UCRUCR: you have a good point, however that “affection for our institution” APPARENTLY sometimes stems a defensive mechanism to blurt irrational claims or facts that are just completely unjustified on all sorts of levels. That’s when the “bashing of schools” typically occurs.</p>

<p>all I know is UCI is teh best at everything.</p>

<p>hahaha i thought cal and ucla were the best at every thing</p>

<p>As to follow what OoPurestoO said, these things usually begin with one user saying “my campus is the best”, with another saying the contrary with either statistic/facts or skepticism, and then both of them tossing “who are you to say what is what?”</p>

<p>Most of the users here are quite calm and modest about their alma matter, some having several within the UC system, but there’s always that one (or more) user(s) that would make many facepalm :)</p>

<p>Obviously UCSC is the best campus in the UC system. Didn’t you see the rankings? It’s the #1 school for birds! UCLA didn’t even make the list!</p>