What is going on with UChicago Admissions?

What is going on with UChicago?

Hello everyone I’m an EA admitted student at UChicago and have been doing a ton of research comparing it to other schools. What’s stuck out to me in a lot of ways is the way it is distinctly different from other “top” schools in the way it’s done admissions in recent years. I go to private school in Texas, and for the past few years, often more students will go to UChicago than any school excluding Texas A&M or UT Austin. Even more than all of the Ivies+MIT+Stanford combined. The more I’ve looked into this, the stranger it’s gotten. Here are some things I’ve noticed that are odd, and I would like to hear y’alls’ thoughts on them.

1. Boarding Schools and Private Schools
    This is not unique to my school, as seen in this post from a few years ago. UChicago is Tops at Top Prep Schools As pointed out in this thread, it appears as if Chicago is feeding very heavily from top prep schools at the expense of accepting broadly from other schools. While this is nice for good but not Ivy-good students at prep schools, it comes at the expense of students from a much broader range of schools. (I have many friends at extremely good public schools who are generally a notch or two above some of my admitted school classmates, for example.) One peer private school in Texas last year allegedly had more than eighteen students attend UChicago. This is about 10% of their class. My school uses a service known as College Kickstart that sometimes lists school-specific admissions data to help contextualize a student’s application to various schools. It gave the EDII acceptance rate to Chicago from my school as 87%. This strikes me as absurd. Is all this just their strategy to hunt down full-pay students while remaining need-blind, or is something else going on here?
  2. International Students
    Another thing that’s stuck out to me about UChicago is the number of international students. In the class of 2025 profile, it says that 18% of the class is international. This seems to be a few points higher than any of its peer schools, but I may be wrong. They are need sensitive for international students, so is this also a way to boost their number of full-pay students while retaining diversity? (To be clear, I think one of the most appealing parts of UChicago would actually be to meet all of these people from all over the world and am not at all criticizing it. I am just trying to understand why Chicago has done all this.)
  3. QuestBridge
    And this is where I think Chicago gets to be the most interesting. Chicago claims that it “currently has more than 400 QuestBridge Scholars on campus”. Now, while it’s not clear to me whether all of these are Matched Finalists, I have heard rumors that Chicago has the greatest number of matched students of any partner school. I just think this is interesting. It’s hard to tell considering only 12.5% of the school qualifies for Pell-grants, but I don’t understand QB that well so maybe I’m just mincing stats here.
  4. Merit Scholarships
    When I was accepted, I was surprised to receive a pretty significant renewable merit scholarship, and someone has mentioned that UChicago has given up to 35k per year in merit scholarships to some students. I don’t think there are any other schools similar to Chicago that award this amount of money unprompted or even with an application. I would imagine this is a way for them to draw top students away from other schools, but I was still surprised that Chicago has retained their merit scholarship program when so many other schools have folded that money back into need-based financial aid.
  5. Marketing
    Pre-Admission: SO MUCH MAIL. Need I say more?
    Post-Admission: Since I have been accepted I have also received one scarf, two t-shirts, one hat, stationary, one spiral-bound book, one journal, countless stickers, and two handwritten notes from my admissions officer. I do not think most of that is normal.
  6. Drop in Acceptance Rate / Rise in Ranking
    As others have commented on past threads, Chicago has seen a huge drop in acceptance rate and a corresponding rise in ranking. I would imagine part of this has to do with the marketing, but I think their strange admissions structure of both ED and EA, EDII, and RD also is involved. They have a huge number of binding applicants which push their overall yield to 80+% (with only Harvard, Stanford, and BYU (this one doesn’t really count because…Mormonism)), and the RD round is rumored to have an admission rate less than 1%. This all has combined with push their rankings extremely high in the past few years. This is just really weird to me, and I’m not sure what to make of it.

Conclusion?
I really have no idea what to think of all this. In some ways I really like the school’s vibes, but in other ways it is very clear that Chicago has “played the system” which feels disingenuous like somehow I’m being tricked in other ways as well. I’m not entirely sure what to think of these differences, but I do know that I feel sorry for my public school friends who seem to be screwed. I am curious to hear others’ perspectives on this.

18 Likes

You’ve done a great job summarizing what a lot of us have observed from the outside. That being said, it’s a great school and the student I know has loved attending there. Just because games are being played doesn’t mean the school is hiding flaws (see other thread about a Columbia shenanigans to game USNWR ranking). I can tell you their meteoric rise hasn’t changed what I considered the unsuitability of U Chic for my kid, but that’s a fit issue not a ranking issue. I’ve also heard it is more “fun” now (as opposed to being “where fun goes to die”) and honestly I think this is probably related to having increased their prestige around the country (therefore attracting a broader array of personalities). But yes, all of what you have pointed out is IMO raw gamesmanship…but is that a problem? (I wish they’d stop with the snail mail for environmental reasons though…)

4 Likes

You are a very smart young person … you have summed up UChicago’s strategy very well.

7 Likes

Consider whether they meaningfully can be screwed:

1. If UChicago generally has equitable practices, then these students wlll have a reasonable opportunity for admission there.

2. If UChicago has inequitable practices, then these students will be disproportionately denied admission. However, why would they want to attend a school with grossly inequitable practices when schools with more equitable practices are available?

2 Likes

What are your options besides UChicago?

Regardless of their gaming, they are very good for economics, math, physics, and the classics, and perhaps areas like history. I also know they are well regarded for anthropology. They could be good in other areas as well, but I don’t know. Their core requirement is pretty tough. There may be elements of grade deflation for the medical school bound.

3 Likes

I think two conclusions can be reached that are not mutually exclusive…

1- Chicago is a great academic institution
2- Chicago “plays the game” to burnish their ranking and reputation.

Are you being “played”? Absolutely not but other less observant and thoughtful people possibly. The typical UC student fully appreciates or discounts the nonsense and benefits of stat “gamesmanship” and enjoys the world class institution that UC is.

I am hardly a UC fan boy as my kid wanted an open curriculum but I totally respect the school and it’s academic integrity and discipline. It’s a great school. Congratulations and hope that you have opportunities to choose amongst.

6 Likes

I also agree. I was just going to add that the quality of the students that I have seen go there, while still excellent, are not at the caliber that is indicated by its usnews ranking.

3 Likes

Agree with Catcherinthetoast :100:

And regarding the kids I know who have gone to UChicago … they have all been extremely intelligent and accomplished. The words “nerd”, “brainiac” and “smart as hell” come to mind when I think of the kids I know who went to UCHICAGO. If anything, a criticism of UChicago in the past would have been the kids were “too smart”, and maybe not as well-rounded or socially healthy as kids who wound up at Harvard, Yale, or Stanford.

3 Likes

Please move on.

I am a parent. My kid graduated 4 years ago from a very highly regarded national prep. 11 kids accepted to UC per the parent pipeline (probably not entirely accurate but close).

Kid one ED recruited athlete and very smart with a sibling at UC, accepted and doing great things. Happens to be a friend of my kid so stayed in touch and would have succeeded in any situation but enjoyed the rigor of student athlete challenges at a place like UC.

Kid two who accepted RD offer was disappointed at other options (Ivy and Duke rejected) Stellar academics but fairly one dimensional applicant. Thriving doing research in a specific area of economic research.

9 other kids who were accepted choose other schools. Mostly Ivies but all are seemingly doing well.

Conclusion being, I have no idea. All seem to be doing great but at least at my kids northeast school Ivies (even lesser rated) were a greater draw than UC, but the UC kids were impressive and have been successful.

Disclaimer my kid is at any Ivy (and had several Ivy and peer options) but didn’t have interest in UC because of core curriculum. That said I totally respect the school and think highly of those who attend.

2 Likes

You really summed it up very well. I heard that to protect yield they go to any length. Outstanding kids from public schools were deferred and were given an option to ED2 or regular. When they see the kids not taking ED2, they simply get suspicious and usually reject. I heard that they routinely reject the best kids if they sense that the kids would not join them. For example, I heard from one of my friends, whose daughter went to RSI last year, the best kids from RSI were rejected at a pace much higher than HYPSM. In 2020 acceptance rate of domestic RSI kids at U-Chicago was 25% (yield remained 0 almost all the years) whereas HYPSM accepted 71% (average acceptance of HYPSM) of these kids. They are the most rank-conscious school on the planet at this point.

3 Likes

Just a few thoughts. Regarding gaming the system for rankings, I believe UChicago was very highly ranked in the original US news college ranking. So seems to me that when their rankings consequently dropped bc from what I understand, they were really not taking care of their undergrads and it wasn’t a warm, inviting place for the undergrads at all (“where fun came to die”), they reassessed. They built new dorms, got a new admissions czar, and started marketing with glossy literature to reach more of the general public. A private counselor we used told us they put in ED1 and ED2 to really gauge who wanted to be at UChicago. Yes it helps yield, but it also allowed them to build a community of fun, diverse students who really wanted to come to UChicago and who would do well with the Core. It eliminated those to a large degree who griped and only chose it bc they were rejected from an Ivy. Remember UChicago went from EA (not restricted ED or restricted EA like HYPSM or Ivy’s) to both ED1 and ED2. It wasn’t so long ago they made this move. Plus, if they really wanted to game the rankings and have an ultra low acceptance rate (which I believe isn’t a factor in rankings but I guess would make great media blurbs), why not get rid of the super hard application essays and make them more straightforward? I feel like their quirky essay questions are another way to figure out who can really handle the Core.

I do think they love the elite prep schools -probably for full pay. But my D went to a very respected private school, yet UChicago is very selective on who they accept from it. So they have their favorites.

6 Likes

Thanks for that! UChicago is a “desired taste.” And for those who don’t have it, it is like forcing them to eat lima beans or liver - generally not acquired tastes. Hence you get those ascribing sinister decision making to the admissions office (the “they simply get suspicious” and “routinely reject the best kids” and “they are the most rank-conscious school on the planet” nonsense from @gcpyar above who I highly doubt has the inside view from the admissions office and actually knows what they’re thinking and their motivations). UChicago wants the UChicago kid - and they know him/her when they see them. I have one. And my other wouldn’t have considered applying in a million years - despite the school’s rank. In my view, that’s the issue - you have kids applying because of the rank when they’re not necessarily a good fit - and those may be the “highly qualified kids who are rejected”. And that’s why ED is useful - you (should) only use it if the school is really a top choice. My UChicago D wrote several of those uncommon essays - for fun - even before she was applying. She LOVES the core. And, even now, as she’s picking classes, she wants to take the “very UChicago” classes. It’s not for everyone. Not everyone wants that 12 person class where you’ve had a ton of diverse readings from Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, Jane Austen to others and class participation is 30% of your grade. So, going back to the OP, to try to answer some of the questions. My personal view on “why the marketing barrage” is to educate potential applicants on the school. Their marketing materials are quirky - just like the school. If you like what you see in those, you might like the school. If you don’t you probably won’t, so let’s educate the audience. And they pick this student body from a wide range of places/people. The school is incredibly diverse, socioeconomically (yes, there are a good number of full pay wealthy students, but also lots on full scholarships), culturally - my D has a ton of international friends from all over the world and it has added so much to her learning, racially and religiously - and these are often explored in classes as well. If they offered you a large merit scholarship it means that they want you and think you will thrive at UChicago and add to the community. And it is a vibrant, fun (yes!) community, for the “right” student. But my Ds idea of fun is not Greek life, partying, and clubbing; although some of her friends routinely partake in all the above. She’d rather go to a speakeasy, comedy show, or even a political or philosophical debate. So, as with the college decision for all students, it comes down to fit - is it the right place for you? Cut through the noise, don’t worry about “what is going on with UChicago” and try to figure out is it right for you. I fervently believe that’s what they’re doing - trying to figure out who’s right for them - and it may not make sense to those on the outside looking in, but it is working for the school. Good luck!

12 Likes

I don’t think their admissions structure is “strange” as you say. I think it’s great they have EA and ED (and II) options for a school of its caliber. And to offer merit is pretty nice, too.

7 Likes

Exactly right.

1 Like

Bingo.

1 Like

Perfectly said.

1 Like

You may say Uchicago does not protect yield and is not rank-conscious, but statistics of admission do not lie. They are using ED to its best. It’s nothing wrong to be rank-conscious - but they are. They protect yield like a hawk (in the name of best fit).

5 Likes

Correlation is not causation. Statistics are complicated.

Do all schools care about rank. Of course. Does UChicago care more than other schools. I don’t know, but I doubt it - why does it matter more to them than others? Rhetorical, of course. Perhaps because they have less name recognition? I’m not sure the difference is compelling.

Yield protection is denying someone with high stats because you think they will go elsewhere and turn you down and push your yield down (stating the obvious here). In 2016, prior to introducing ED, UChicago was ranked 3rd in USNWR and had a yield of just over 62%. So, yes, with no binding option, nearly 4 in 10 turned down UChicago. In 2020, with ED1 and ED2, UChicago had a yield approaching 72%; so now 3 in 10 turn them down. I guess I have trouble believing that the school is playing this “big game” to have one less in 10 turning them down. I just don’t see that change in yield as hugely significant.

As I said above, I believe their goal is to attract the “right” people - the ones who will love the school and thrive and contribute to the community. With the ability to easily toss 20+ applications into myriad schools thanks to technology and the common app, schools need to sift through who REALLY wants the school and who is the right fit. Like it or not, ED is a powerful sorting tool - are you willing to forgo other opportunities for this one? You may call that yield protection; I think it is trying to ascertain interest and commitment.

2 Likes