What is it really like being a black student at a large, public, majority white school?

Im sure someone has made a thread similar to this, but I don’t care. I want personal responses.
Most of the schools that I applied to are large public schools that are majority white. I live in Virginia, and so far I have been accepted to every school I’ve heard back from. So far,my list is
UVA
VT
NC State
VCU
George Mason
Pitt
Maybe George Washington University
You get the idea. I’ve visited most of the schools I listed and didn’t feel out of place, but some of my friends who graduated from last year have told me how much of a culture shock some of the majority white schools are. Some of them have hinted that they’ve felt out of place and had to get used to it.
Prestige isn’t a huge factor, as I want to go somewhere where I have my fit foremost. But I also want to go to a school with a strong alumni network and good school spirit, that is also strong in the STEM fields. I want to be involved, meet new open-minded people, and thoroughly enjoy my years. I also want to get involved in clubs and recreation (Black Student Alliance, Kayaking, etc.) I know I will probably have to sacrifice some of the diversity factor unless I go to VCU or GMU, but can anyone describe their experience being any type of minority in these types of colleges, how they felt about it, if they experienced anything negative, or if they felt comfortable and supported or not. Feel free to add any other thought.
Thank you

For context and comparison, what is your high school like? The area you live in?

I don’t know, but I’d think it wouldn’t be too strange at a big school. I was just talking to a student who has a freshman at a 83 pct white small college, 3 pct black. He said that most black student hang out together but he hangs out with everyone, he is just a very social guy.

@ucbalumnus‌ I go to a predominately black high schoool (64%, only about 30% white) in a moderately suburban city with an urban atmosphere (Hampton, VA)

It depends on how much race is a factor in your thinking - if you segregate yourself vs integrate yourself. Plus, it depends on how you react to stupid, ignorant people. There won’t be many but there will be a few that try to look down on you - can you handle that or will you crack under that. I’ve known people that had relationship problems, lacked the inside track on study groups, etc and didn’t get to experience the full range of extracurricular life and others who have. I attended an HBCU which was great but the rest of life looks more like a large university that is predominately white. The HBCU prepared me well for it.

@Madaboutx Thank you for the insight. Anyone else?

I’ve grown up in a fairly wealthy suburb outside of Chicago. Out of 1000 kids in my grade, I think that there are maybe 20ish black people? And to be honest, it doesn’t really phase me. The students are very tolerant and I never feel put down or disrespected by them. I agree with what @Madaboutx‌ said.

If people treat you negatively or differently because you’re black, don’t hang out with them. But I feel like nowadays, people (especially college students) are more accepting, and race isn’t as huge a factor as some make it out to be. Hope this sort of helped.

@puregritaf Thank You. My main concern was just whether I would be able to have the same college experience as the other students in the school while being comfortable and having a social life.

I’m white and I’d really like to join my colleges black student council. Would the group members be accepting of this or would they view it as disrespectful and feel I’m invading their space? http://www.chiefpapers.com

I attended majority white schools for my entire life, so I’m not expecting a culture shock once I go off to college. Maybe I’ll experience more extreme situations since parents are so far removed, but I’m expecting the same general attitude. I would say that you won’t be used to people not understanding certain things about you: hair, foods, music, books, political opinions, etc. There’s a high chance they won’t truly be able to relate to a lot of things that seem commonplace to you. Also, you will stick out like a sore thumb most of the time, have your abilities questioned, feel isolated, and maybe even feel belittled.

Now that isn’t to say that you won’t be able to make white friends or friends of all races, or that you will be uncomfortable 100% of the time. It might take time adjusting but you will probably be fine after the awkward period where no one really has a place yet. I have friends of all races that I love and cherish, but there are some things they simply won’t be able to relate to. And there are times were they might say something unintentionally offensive. Those situations used to cause me a lot of internal struggle as I didn’t know how to react. Now, for my own well-being and sanity, I don’t put on an act for anyone or pretend to be anyone’s puppet. I hang out with people I enjoy spending time with and people who push me to be better.

Sorry for the rambling. I think that you’ll probably be fine, but the culture shock your friends describe is very real. Consider it a learning curve and seek helpful mentors/resources the second you get on campus. Good luck!

It is a huge culture shock! I am a Black student at Whitman College and I come from a not so affluent area in California. You may or may not get looked down upon, but I certainly did. I feel that I am always putting on a show to please everyone that I am around. It is the second semester and I feel that there has been no change. My two friends and I make up three out of the five African Americans in the Class of 2018 here. That is terrible. I venture out and talk to people, but like someone stated above, a lot of people may not relate to you. Again, if all of that doesn’t matter to you, you will be just fine.

It all depends upon you, OP. Make of it what you will. Be prepared for new experiences without being judgmental about them. Seek out the activities that you believe you will enjoy. Engage people whom you think will be comrades. Everyone else can go jump in a lake. Be yourself and be honest to yourself and you’ll likely enjoy your four years. Bigots and fools lurk everywhere. You’ll probably meet a fellow black student or two who rubs you the wrong way. Don’t let that stop you. Good luck.

I went to a private expensive woman’s college. We never had more than a dozen AAs at any given year. I’m half black. Almost all of these girls were super smart and very social. We would hang out just us together sometimes ( yes they included me) and other times with other friends. They were actually looked up to as something special I noticed and quite a few were in student government and the more elite clubs.

@chiefpapers That’s totally okay. Most black student alliances and unions actually want white, Asian, and hispanics students to join.

Think of yourself as a person first & foremost. The country has come a long way that today nearly everyone goes to college & should. Why? We want a literate, educated population so that people can function & contribute to the culture. Education is defined as the passing on of one’s culture. Did anyone tell you that African-americans are not part of American culture? Of course they’re part of the culture. The United States has some 3000 institutions of higher learning. There is a school fit for every individual. Most of the large universities are well-integrated. Don’t forget there are probably a lot of white students that have never been to school with other minorities-a lot depends of geography & family upbringing. The country is loosening up. The key is self-confidence & immersion. Always think poise. If you’re looking for a large public school where it’s well integrated & color-blind-try Rutgers University, my alma mater.

I actually cherish to study such a pleasant doctrine.I’ve visited also most of the schools same I listed and didn’t feel out of place, but some of my friends who graduated from last year have told me how much of a culture shock some of the majority white schools are. Some of them have hinted that they’ve felt out of place and had to get used to it.
http://www.peakdissertation.co.uk/