What is my chance of getting accepted?

I’ve heard numerous rumors about the difficulty level of being accepted into UC schools. I want to know if I have any chance getting into any of the universities below with my…kinda tragic data…

School applying to:
UCI
UCSB
UCSD
UCD
UCM
UCSC
UCR
CSULA
CSULB
CSU San Luis Obispo

Possible majors applying:

1. Pharmaceutical science
  2. Psychology
  3. Software Engineering
  4. Interior Design
  5. Commercial and advertisement design

Grades
unweighted: 3.39
weighted: 3.61

ACT: 26

AP:
Chinese 5
Chemistry 3
Music Theory 5

SAT subject tests:
Chinese 800
Chemistry 690
Math II: 700

Others:

1. Orchestra for 4 years, one year for 2nd violin section leader
  2. Rose parade float decoration for 2 years
  3. School peer tutoring for one year
  4. Orchestra violin tutoring for one year
  5. Several festival string quartet performance (volunteer as well)

Background:
Nationality: Taiwan
Race: Asian
Parents’ education: high school diploma
Family income: not sure, but definitely less than $80,000 (annual)

If I really want to get accepted into any of the UC school, what major should I consider instead of the ones I listed above?

You should be fine for everything but UCSD, UCI, UCSB, UCD, and maybe San Luis Obispo. These schools really like it when you have a clear career path that is highlighted by your extracurriculars. It seems to me that your intended majors aren’t very reflective on what you have been doing at school. My advice would be as follows:

1. Major in music - you have a lot of talent, as I can see in your extracurriculars. You can write about your love of music and your vision of how you want to be a musician in your application. (if, of course, you want to follow that path). This way, application reviewers can see the person you are and the person you want to be.
  2. Explain your future - so, as I mentioned, your extracurriculars don't match what you want to major in. You need to explain why you want to major in (insert major here) and what you will plan to do with it. This might be a little risky, because you don't have any activities outside of school to prove your passion. All you have is your essay.
  3. Go to community college - I know, I know. COMMUNITY COLLEGE. There, I said it (bleh). No seriously though, it might be a great path for you to discover what you want to do (if you don't already know). I guarantee after 2 years, you will find your desired career path and be able to transfer to virtually the UC of your choice (granted that you work hard in your first 2 years).

I hope these helped! Good luck :smiley:

Agree with @parman64: UCSD/UCSB/UCI and UCD will be Reaches due to below average GPA and test scores. UCSC/UCR/UCM are your best chances at a UC and CSULB/CSULA for the Cal states. SLO can be tough depending upon your major. All majors are competitive at the UC’s. Go for the major you feel is best for you, not the easier major to get the admit. Switching majors later can sometimes problematic depending upon impactation.