What is the acceptance rate of Boarding School based on #applied and #accepted from admissions letters?

Yes, that HK number made me confused.

@G07b10 my reading of this is that there were 11 admits from China, which yielded 5 acceptances. So given 148 applications from China in 2022, their acceptance rate would have been 7% (and the yield 45%).

There is not enough data here to calculate the acceptance rate for US applicants in 2022.

Incidentally, if Lawrenceville had been consistent in their rounding (!) their overall acceptance rate for 2022 would have 16% and not 15%.

@G07b10 I wonder if this was just a mistake?! I suspect that there were 6 admits from Hong Kong, which yielded 4 acceptances.

Choate’s is 11% this year

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, but the 4/6 confused me unless it was a typo. And why highlight Singapore with 0?

1 Like

@skieurope rather than country by country, the pool may be for South East Asia, and those countries could have been presented together for that reason?

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. My mistake.

2 Likes

School could have gone to the waitlist but not counted these students into acceptance numbers. That makes some sense, because otherwise your acceptance number would keep changing. School just changed the enrolled student number.

Ha! They tried to slip one past the goalie there!

2 Likes

Same as last year. In fact, all of the 2023 stats I have seen reported are similar to what they were last year.

2 Likes

For some schools, it’s much easier to be admitted as a boarder than as a day student, or vice versa. Or it’s 10 times harder if you are applying from foreign country a.

Some schools count applications that aren’t finished as applications. Others count only finished calculations.

Whether you are trying to make yourself feel better or worse about your outcome, this is a misguided exercise.

3 Likes

Oh, I find this published by Exeter

For 2021:
3527 completed applications
389 admitted
311 new students enrolled

So for 2021, Overall acceptance rate was 11% (389/3527), and yield was 80% (311/389)

Yield was comparable to Harvard or Stanford!

5 Likes

So it’s safe to assume the acceptance rate is under 10 for 2023.

1 Like

Hard to tell. PEA accepted 14% last year so would not necessarily assume the rate always goes down.

Ah I see.

Just because a school gets more applications doesn’t mean it’s gotten more selective although that would seem intuitive. Here’s why:

As the whole school scene becomes more competitive, applicants apply to more schools so as not to be shut out complete on M10. If kids used to apply to 3 schools and now apply to 6, there are twice as many applications out there. Schools also know this and understand that many of the applicants they accept will choose to go elsewhere. To make sure they fill the class, they need to admit more students. In the old world, if 100 kids were admitted to 2 schools that were equally beloved, each school gets half of them and they know to admit twice as many kids as they need. In the new world, if 100 kids were all admitted to the same 4 schools and they were equally loved, every school would yield only 25 of those kids. To the extent they predict this, they need to admit twice as many kids as before to have the same class.

This is an oversimplified version, but you get the idea. And this is why those schools have those massive WL. It’s hard to predict exactly which kids will say yes. It could be that after A10 (or leading up to it), a school realizes that girls have not enrolled while boys have. Or that few of the musicians have enrolled. Admissions needs to backfill the right holes to deliver the right class composition in the fall.

There is, btw, a whole industry around enrollment management. And you will go through all of this again, but in an even nuttier version, for college.

At the end of the day, there are still the same number of students and seats.

6 Likes

You summed it up really well. Over the past few years, BS admissions have certainly shown the same pattern as college ones. The # of apps went up mainly due to anxiety over low admit rates, and as such schools have had to do a lot more in managing the yield and waitlists. Many qualified kids now have to wait much longer—some well into the summer—to figure out where they will go. It certainly adds a lot of stress to parents and kids, but I do not see the situation easing anytime soon.

My heart goes out to all families on the WL. Hang in there and have faith—you will find your best fit in time!

1 Like

Hotchkiss 10%, attended revisit day and asked Dean - Erby Mitchell

2 Likes

Leahy said it was almost a full percent lower than last year at Exeter. Estimating that’s around 9% then.

Exeter at 9%? Seems test requirement didn’t hurt application numbers.