What is the acceptance rate of Boarding School based on #applied and #accepted from admissions letters?

Exeter was 14% last year. So this year would be ~13%.

I see. I was going off of 10% I saw on a website, which could be a couple years old or just wrong.

NMH in their letter said that they had 1350 applications for about 195 spots, amounting to about a 14% acceptance rate. Different than what Google says though, at about 28%.

That’s not how you calculate acceptance rate.

4 Likes

28% sounds correct taking yield into account.

2 Likes

I took yield into account as NMH is a school of 645, while 195 • 4 = 780 students.

Based on your screen name, I really hope you’re not investing using those shoddy math skills. Student body size is not a factor in determining yield.

3 Likes

You do not have enough information to calculate acceptance rate or yield. It doesn’t matter how big the student body is.

3 Likes

I am imagining that some of those students were admitted for 10th and 11th grade. I don’t know if NMH takes 12th graders or does a PG year. But just because there are 645 students in a school, does not mean that there are 161 students per grade. And # of applicants as well as # admitted and yield rates likely differ per grade. They could be aiming for 100 (9th) + 60 (10th) + 30 (11th) + 5 (12th) = 195 seats.

Thus 195 seats doesn’t mean that there are 4*195 (780) students at the school. With the type of distribution that I am describing, a school would only have around 640ish students (100 freshmen + 160 sophomores + 190 juniors + 195 seniors - 5 or so students who leave for various reasons over the summer or get off waitlists elsewhere). And we don’t know how many students they needed to admit in each grade to get the distribution that they want. They likely have a different yield for each grade.

2 Likes

Let’s take a guess with no basis for the sake of argument and say yield was 50%. 1350 applicants for 195 spots with 50% yield rounds out to about 28.8% acceptance. Obviously the yield guess isn’t based on fact, but your idea of “yield” is incorrect.

3 Likes