What is the best way to learn about Honors colleges?

Looking for help finding resources on the various honors colleges - which schools offer them, what is the focus/reason, how do they rank, etc. Compared with universities themselves I find the honors offerings opaque. If you have a kid attending one, how did you learn about it and make the decision? Thanks!

This discussion might be helpful:

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Petersons-Honors-Programs-Colleges-4th/dp/0768921414

2 Likes

Actually I like this book better:

2 Likes

Read the post that @DadOfJerseyGirl

They all offer different things and many have programs within programs.

Ranks are fine but many schools offer them - far more than are ranked. My daughter’s - not on the list, her experience blows away the experience my son had - in part his fault for not taking advantage - but his school is ranked for Honors.

You should look at schools of interest and look at their Honors programs (and LLCs) and see what they offer.

I would not worry about ranking and not expect that most programs will add outcome value per se - i.e. there’s no where to reference on job apps. Moreso, you do it for yourself. Yes, some will have connections - but you should pursue Honors at schools where their program fits your needs vs. seeking a rank or anything else.

These Public Schools Offer an Honors College (usnews.com)

3 Likes

Once D22 had a list of schools she liked, I helped her do a deep dive on the Honors College at each one (if it existed). Google was our friend. There is a wealth of info on the internet that helps you determine what each school offers. In some cases, we found everything from promotional videos to internal annual reports that revealed the number admitted, number of honors students in each department, and number who completed all requirements to graduate with honors degree. Also, if it is a school with a parent Facebook page that admits parents of potential students, too, there is often a wealth of info there, too.

2 Likes

Here’s a newer edition of Willingham’s book. It reviews them by state. Lots of good info and easy to compare at your fingertips. Its not a “ranking”. Amazon.com: Inside Honors 2020-2021: Ratings and Reviews of 40 Public University Honors Programs eBook : Willingham, John: Kindle Store

3 Likes

Here is a link to an article from a few years back: Choosing an Honors Program: Twenty Questions to Ask - Public University Honors.

You might check out some of the links within this article.

3 Likes

Is there a list of which 40 programs are covered?

It would be nice if they did at least one from every state. I remember being disappointed by other college books that delved into several different public schools for certain states, and then didn’t cover a single college in other states.

3 Likes

Short of taking photos of the table of contents, not sure. But you can get a start by reading the lengthy sample pages on Amazon.

1 Like

Inside Honors (book and reference) are your go-to.
For as long as Honors colleges have been referenced, the following have come out on top in terms of academics, co curricular offerings, experience, and professional outcomes:
USC Columbia, UT Plan II, Penn State Schreyer, ASU Barrett.
USC and ASU offer scholarships.

2 Likes

Once you find a few you like have your student call /email the head of the department and ask questions. Also go on the schools Facebook to see and talk with current students. Have the schools AO set you up with a current student to talk with and or shadow if you visit.

3 Likes

When investigating honors colleges, I’d also pay careful attention to the requirements for entry. At some colleges you might be astounded at how “low” the requirements are while at others, it’s a real gamble for even the strongest students to be accepted. No matter how great the honors program, it isn’t of much benefit to your kid if not given an invitation to join.

4 Likes