What is the college matriculation like for the Loomis Chaffee school?

It’s hard to find many reliable sources that talk about this school’s results.

2 Likes

Try this:

I have only heard about the LC Scholars, and they apparently do great… like ivys/T20 (heard from the AO who interviewed our DS). But I don’t know the specifics. I’d love to know as well! You can kind of gage from the School Profile:

From the list, it looks like (to me) Loomis includes every school that each kid was accepted to since there are more colleges listed than seniors. I might be wrong, tho.

1 Like

Probably because they feel that providing numbers out of context is meaningless and to discourage applicants (and their parents) from using matriculation data as a metric for choosing amongst acceptances and because past performance is no guarantee of future results.

3 Likes

I think Loomis has close to 200 seniors, so that list includes only the colleges to which graduates matriculated. I think there are only 100 college names or so?

3 Likes

Yes, over 200 seniors last year I believe. The student body is just short of 800 and the freshman class is a good deal smaller than the others.

There is an instagram with this year’s selections so far (I think it’s lcdecisions2023??) but I agree that it’s merely a snapshot, especially since admissions have been so wacky since 2020.

1 Like

I’m looking now. Wow. They did great! Lots of sports commitments, tho.

Yep, it’s matriculations only.

1 Like

And not every senior participates in the IG account.

2 Likes

Probably all sports commitments have been made, so yes, weighted for now!

Doubt the sports committments are much different than any comparable school.

2 Likes

Loomis deliberately doesn’t publish its college matriculation list with the same detail as its aspired to peers because its numbers aren’t quite as “impressive” to Top 20 schools. You can speak to Loomis insiders and they’ll tell you this. The school knows there are a lot of window shoppers who emphatically peruse matriculation lists.

(I edited this post - and of course, “impressive” is in the eye of the beholder).

2 Likes

No. More often than not, college matriculation is just a misleading stat that is compromised by faculty brats and athletic recruits that skew the numbers significantly. It is worthless as a metric for school quality.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Is it any wonder that kids are so stressed and / or dealing with mental health issues when their parents say useless unfounded crap like that?!?!?

11 Likes

OK, I’ll pass your comments on to some of the staff at Loomis who literally talk about this.

Do I think matriculation lists are misleading? Yes, we have already discussed on this board how legacy, athletic recruiting, development, fac brats, and other factors skew things.

But if LC was sending the same percentage of kids to Top 20s as GLADCHEMMS, Loomis would be breaking it down in greater detail.

3 Likes

Agreed.

2 Likes

As they do at every boarding school to varying degrees. LC is not in a unique situation here.

3 Likes

Again, agreed.

1 Like

I’m sorry, this level of speculation is laughable. Why look at acceptance rates? Why look at student test scores? Why look for meaningful academic differences between LC and GLADCHEMMS (of which there are few), when we can just point at the absence of detailed matriculation lists and conclude that Loomis is a second-tier school?

3 Likes

I believe the lcdecisions2023 is an Instagram account for Lansdale Catholic and not Loomis Chaffee.

2 Likes