What is the effect of high school academic dishonesty suspension on transfer apps?

The suspension is denoted on my high school transcript, but do colleges care about this when transferring (specifically USC and NYU). I gave someone a copy of an essay (worth the same amount as a test) to help her brainstorm ideas and she completely plagiarized it and we both got in trouble. How will this impact my ability to transfer? I am an extremely good student academically (36 ACT, Top 1% class rank, 4.0 UW), but I hope this mistake isn't going to destroy my ability to transfer, especially since it was during my first-semester senior year. For USC specifically, is it possible to get 30 units by end of my freshman year spring term (which makes them emphasize college transcripts more according to the website), and would that be a good idea to do or would it be better for them to emphasize my transcript and test scores from high school by obtaining less than 30 credits (I currently have 15 ap's with 4s and 5s and 5 dual enrollment with around 3-4 credits each). Additionally, my EC's are very good if that matters (USACO Plat, AIME Qualifier (3x), an app with 10k+ downloads, and a lot more). Also, was it worth applying as a freshman (applied over a month ago) or should I withdraw and try again next year, because I'm gonna have to report it to them.

I am confused by this post. Are you currently in college or are you accumulating college credits during high school?

So because you do not yet have the credits that would make you a transfer student, you have applied as a freshman, but you could continue to accumulate credits and apply as a transfer?

The colleges will see the note on your transcript about academic dishonestly, regardless of what you do, right? Did you provide an explanation? I would explain in the supplementary essay, what your intentions were, that you did not realize, that you learned from it etc. etc. Briefly, don’t make a big deal about it.

That one note on your transcript should not dictate your plans. Proceed however you would proceed as if that never happened, in my view.

I believe i confused you since I asked multiple questions. I'm currently applying as a freshman, and although I have great stats/ec's, I don't think I can make it as a freshman, so I'm considering withdrawing and transferring next year from whatever institution I go to as a sophomore.

I already applied as a freshman, and I’m considering withdrawing my application cause the suspension was literally a week ago (after I submitted the USC app) so it will definitely harm me (and its for academic dishonesty too).

I have taken 15 aps (with all 4s/5s so most likely would get credit) and 5 dual enrollments (2-4 credits each). I am planning to utilize these credits because USC states that for transfers if you have more than 30 credits by the spring term, they’ll focus on college transcripts more.

However, I have a dilemma, and I don’t want to make this like a “chance-me” type post. But should I continue with the freshman app (since my stats/ecs/and USC supps were great, except the suspension) or withdraw, and if i continue, will that potentially harm me for transfer apps since my gc is directly notifying the college about the suspension (so like would I get blacklisted essentially?) Or do they not really care about an applicant’s prior applications if they reapply.

I don’t understand how waiting to apply as a transfer helps you. Colleges will still see the suspension on your transcript.

Ask your GC but I would write the colleges and explain what happened. I would be proactive on this, but that is my view and I would talk to your counselor.

Sometimes colleges view this kind of thing as a need for more education on academic honestly.

I would suggest you love the place where you are accepted and enroll as a freshman.

Colleges will consider your high school record if you apply during your freshman year. You do realize you won’t HAVE much of a college record when you apply as a transfer during your freshman year, right?

If you do two years at your first college, it’s possible schools will look only at your college record. But some do look further back.

Plagiarism is a very serious thing…and if this happened the first semester of your senior year, it happened very recently. You need to have a sit down with your school counselor to discuss how this will appear on your high school record.

1 Like

My counselor is putting it on the mid-year report. As far as I know and admin knows they don’t put it on the final transcript (talked to them a few hours ago), but if the application asks you are required to disclose it (the freshman application asks, but I’m not sure about the transfer application).

What I’m trying to say is if I apply as a transfer, especially if I have 30+ credits by end of spring term (which I’m 99% sure I will with AP and dual enrollment credits), USC states they emphasize college transcripts more on their website (so I guess they won’t care as much about high school transcript). Also, USC transfer acceptance rate is double the freshman acceptance rate, which is why I’m considering withdrawing from the freshman application. So if I maintain my high school stats and get good grades in college I think I would have a better shot at transferring, unless I get essentially blacklisted from USC as a freshman application(which I don’t think will happen unless I lie) if they have immediate knowledge of the academic dishonesty. Right now, I’m considering just going through with the freshman application and if I get rejected I’ll reapply as a transfer to continue as a sophomore.

For colleges that do any selection at all, the only way you can really escape from your high school record for transfer application is to apply to transfer as a junior (i.e. applying during your sophomore year) to colleges which do not consider high school record for junior level transfers. USC and NYU do want high school records for all transfer applicants, according to their transfer applicant checklists on their web sites.

For sophomore transfers (applying during your frosh year), most colleges that do any selection at all will look at your high school record, because you will not have much of a college record at that time.

3 Likes

“USC does not require a minimum number of transfer units.* However, if you will have earned fewer than 30 transferable semester units by the end of the spring term, we will base our decision either primarily on your high school record and/or SAT or ACT scores (if you submit them). Please note that applicants to the 2022-2023 academic year are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores, although they may still submit them if they wish.”

I have 15 aps (all 4s/5s) and 5 dual enrollment with around 3-4 credits each and all A’s in those courses. So basically I already have 30+ credits (maybe slightly less) but I’ll def have 30+ of by the end of the spring term, probably even more. So less emphasis on high school transcript.

Additionally, I’m planning on doing summer courses to get more credits (prob 15 credits per semester). So I’ll have quite a bit of credits, and on top of my 36 ACT, ec’s, and awards, will the high school academic dishonesty still negate everything even if they’ll emphasize my college transcript and probably my EC’s and maybe the test scores.

Also, my counselor said they’ll put it on mid year transcript (I assume she means mid year report) but not on the final transcript. But I will have to report it as a transfer if they ask (I’m not sure if transfer applications ask).

My high school record is very good aside from the suspension, will this negate everything. Also USC states that the decision will primarily be based on high school only if you have less than 30 credits. Also, I was informed that the suspension doesn’t go to the final transcript (only mid-year report, but I must report it if asked on the application)

I’ll have 15 aps worth of credit and 5 dual enrollment courses (around 3-4 credits each), and I’m taking 2-3 classes during the summer as well as doing an internship and I’ll do 15 credit hours both my semesters freshman year, which will definitely be more than 30 credits.

Will it still matter, and will the suspension negate everything I’ve done (36 ACT, top 1%, 4.0 UW, USACO Plat, AIME Qualifer, and other national/intl awards and ecs). Hopefully, I don’t have to report it.

Also, do you think I should withdraw my freshman application.

Also, regarding your other thing, USC will give me full-tuition with my income, so I’m inclined to transfer quickly because of that, and IVY’s have terrible transfer rates so that’s not an option (they also will give me full tuition).

Where I’m confused is …are you talking about a gap year and reapplying , thinking your APs make you a transfer instead of first year? They won’t…it’s just like you took a gap year

Or are you talking about going to a community college for a year…which may help.

Whether you go to USC or Cal State San Marcos, you and not the school will determine your future. Sure a great name helps. But many greats come from lesser known schools and many from lesser known schools struggle.

As with any level of cheating in life, the best way to handle it is upfront - straight on, hopefully you learn the pickle you put yourself in and realize the harm it caused and you never do it again.

I imagine the counselor will have you write each school admitting your lapse in judgement. Don’t make excuses why…pressure, stress, momentary weakness. There is no excuse.

You have 15 APs…a school will take you. USC may or may not just like b4 the incident. It’s a tough school.

All you can do is be honest, hope, and make sure you have a less competitive but fine school on your list, like Arizona so you find a home.

We all suffer a lot of adversity in life. If handled properly, this will be a great lesson for you.

If you have more apps note the academic dishonesty and don’t try to justify it.

Hopefully you’ve learned a great lesson.

Good luck.

I think you are making too much of the quote about the high school transcript being weighted less as a transfer.

Deal with this now with admissions. You gave someone a copy of an essay you wrote. I remember another case like this. Were you aware that you are responsible for cheating even when you are the one giving the essay, not the one using the essay from another student?

If so, do you know why you did this? Social pressure?

It is unfortunate that once you share material you are no longer in control of how it is used.

Talk to your counselor, and communicate with schools. Be upfront.

AP’s are not going to count as credit in the way you are thinking. You have a long way to go to junior level status and I think applying as a freshman is a better path right now. If you don’t get in, you can always apply in the future.

1 Like

No, not a gap year, I’m taking summer courses at my state school and spending my freshman year there.

aiming for around 30-40 credits from college courses alone (3 semesters, including summer) before I enter in as a sophomore.

Alright, I’m still doing the freshman path, but I thought APs can be used to get rid of gen eds (which are usually 3 credits each), but alot of APs are irrelevant in that manner (like AP hug) so I’m not considering those in my total, and I’m also making sure to continue dual enrollment and summer courses to have a good amount of credits and high college GPA if I want to transfer after freshman year.

Yeah no. Keep your apps. Hit it straight on. Find a nice school for you in the fall. You can apply to many late.

There was no guarantee of USC b4. Nor is there now.

Lots of great but easy programs out there that will surely take you. Get a few on your list of they weren’t previously there.

If you get into a top school, great. If not you’ll still have a home.

Your plan doesn’t have merit in my opinion. You can research it more but finding a loophole is not the answer.

If you get rejected everywhere this year….where would you be transferring from??

And I’m planning on being upfront if they ask for disciplinary info. No misunderstandings there for sure, and I won’t make excuses either in the explanations.

I already got accepted into a few schools (rolling admissions), none of them rescinded me after being notified even with the academic dishonesty.

also, I have good stats/ecs/etc, just screwed up quite a bit right before it mattered.

I’m going to repeat my first response. I think you need to pick the best option from your acceptances this year and learn to love that school. If, and I mean IF you decide you want to transfer for your junior year, think about that your sophomore year in college…not now.

The schools that accept you this year are the best option of affordable. Get your bachelors and put this all behind you.

And be careful never to do this again!