What is the Foundations in Excellence Scholarship

<p>It says I got this when they sent me my scholarship package, but before I thought I was going to get one of the normal out of state ones that was for less money and when I got this I looked it up and I didn’t see anything about it on their website.
Does anyone know what this is for and what the requirements for it were because the money I’m getting now is a good deal more than I thought I was going to get, but I don’t even know why I got this.
Thanks!!</p>

<p>I had an SAT score just below the 1330 cut off for 2/3rd tuition and I also received the Found. in Excellence scholarship. I’m unsure of the requirements, but the value is 1/2 OOS tuition (and it adjusts when tuition goes up).</p>

<p>Wow…congrats to you both! Half tuition…that’s about $10,500 right now.</p>

<p>What an awesome surprise!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I don’t think these scholarships are listed somewhere. They seem to be discretionary. </p>

<p>wow!</p>

<p>Sounds like a most <em>Excellent</em> scholarship!</p>

<p>Congrats to you both!</p>

<p>Congratulations! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>I think its because the 2/3 is an automatic scholarship that depends ONLY on your GPA and test scores. But on your scholarship application they probably liked your ECs and wanted to give you more based on that.</p>

<p>I don’t know if this has anything to do with it or not, but last year at Bama Bound the Scholarship Office said during one of the parent programs that if a student’s scores were in between award levels they would award $ based upon a graduated scale. So if a student’s scores above one level and just shy of the next level award, the student would receive move $ than they qualified for based on the published awards. One of my D’s classmates was in this situation and received an award in between the levels. Maybe they have named the additional award. Congratulations and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Yeah my SAT was also a little short of that too I think so that makes sense. And according to Alabama my gpa is a 4.1 for some reason even though other schools computed it lower. Thanks ya’ll and congrats JTownatp too! Alabama is certainly looking good right now :slight_smile: and the campus is amazing.</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t take out electives or PE like some schools do, so GPA can be higher.</p>

<p>congrats!</p>

<p>What other schools are you considering and how do the costs compare?</p>

<p>My son received this scholarship last year. He had barely missed the cut for 2/3 tuition. You may have noticed in the letter or email you received that the scholarship will be adjusted based on residency. I took that to mean if at any time the student becomes a state resident then the scholarship is still for half tuition. That would lower your student bill even more.</p>

<p>It’s nice to know that Bama awards a 50% tuition award to those who barely miss the 2/3 tuition award. I wonder if all who barely miss the 1330 SAT get this, or maybe those who applied early and/or showed interest or are from highly desirable states???</p>

<p>In my case I sent Mary Spiegel an email explaining how close my son was to UA Scholar (29ACT 3.7GPA well known Metro Atlanta Suburb School)and asked if an exception could be made. I told her he would need to go to his second choice Georgia without help. She replied with the offer of the Foundations Scholarship which I had never heard of before.</p>

<p>Correction: My son had a 1300 SAT when we appealed to Mary Spiegel. He got the higher ACT later.</p>

<p>Well, a 1300 M+CR is equal to an ACT 29, so that probably made the difference. </p>

<p>Sum of SAT Critical Reading and Mathematics Scores
SAT CR+M (Score Range) ACT Composite Score SAT CR+M (Single Score)</p>

<p>1600… 36 1600
1540–1590 35 1560
1490–1530 34 1510
1440–1480 33 1460
1400–1430 32 1420
1360–1390 31 1380
1330–1350 30 1340
1290–1320 29 1300
1250–1280 28 1260</p>

<p>Wait, my recuriter told me that if I got above a 1300 (I have a 1340) and kept my GPA, id get 2/3. But i didnt, something’s wrong…</p>

<p>When did you apply? did you submit the scholarship app?</p>

<p>Which month SAT sitting did you get the Math + CR score of 1340? Did you take it before Dec?</p>

<p>what is your grade 9-11 GPA</p>

<p>When were you accepted? If you were recently accepted, then your merit award would come separately.</p>

<p>Were you awarded any scholarship money? If so, what?</p>

<p>My daughter got a 1320 and just received the Foundations in Excellence scholarship. Has anyone heard of someone appealing to bump up a level or get more $$$ to be more competitive with another SEC school? My daughter’s torn between this and SC but this will probably be $5k more, which tells you which direction the guy who’s paying will be encouraging her (unless we can get more money at UA). BTW, she got an 800 on the writing part, which of course counts for zip.</p>

<p>An 800 on the writing part is AMAZING!!! “Zip” or Not. Really a GREAT Score.</p>

<p>Can I ask how you were notified? Thanks.</p>

<p>*My daughter got a 1320 and just received the Foundations in Excellence scholarship. Has anyone heard of someone appealing to bump up a level or get more $$$ to be more competitive with another SEC school? My daughter’s torn between this and SC but this will probably be $5k more, which tells you which direction the guy who’s paying will be encouraging her (unless we can get more money at UA). BTW, she got an 800 on the writing part, which of course counts for zip.
*</p>

<p>Are you saying that attending Bama would cost $5k more? How much is the SC scholarship?</p>