What is the Foundations in Excellence Scholarship

<p>NCDad1, if this were my child after visiting both UA and SC, my D would be going to UA. I was not impressed with the SC honor College nor the Dept she was interested. Beyond that the students we encountered at UA were just friendlier than SC. I would gladly spend 5k to have my D at UA.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekidsn
I applied Nov. 20, for both admission and the scholarship app.
And the 1340 was my superscore from my May and October SAT tests.
and my 9-11 GPA is a 91.33 which is a 3.7
and I was awarded the Foundation in Excellence scholarship, which is 11.5 k, which is half a ride, but my recruiter said I would get 2/3 with my gpa and test scores.</p>

<p>Longsx - Is SC university of South Carolina? I’m just wondering my son applied at a bunch of schools(looking for the best merit aid) and that was one he applied and got into the honors program. We haven’t visited there yet he applied because they supposed have a good honors program.</p>

<p>^^ Yes, at least that is the school I was referring too. Unfortunately we did not like it nearly as much as Alabama. D would be honors too and I can’t even remember any of what was said, they did not impress us. At Bama the student body was just polite and engaging, students held doors and were friendly…we did not encounter that at SC which really surprised me considering they are both Southern Public U’s.</p>

<p>Have all the scholarship notifications for Fall 2013 gone out? Does Bama notify by e-mail or regular mail?</p>

<p>My son got his by regular mail. I don’t know if all the letters have been sent out yet though.</p>

<p>mother…</p>

<p>No, all the scholarships haven’t gone out. Some aren’t decided until January or later.</p>

<p>Wait, my recuriter told me that if I got above a 1300 (I have a 1340) and kept my GPA, id get 2/3. But i didnt, something’s wrong…</p>

<p>I applied Nov. 20, for both admission and the scholarship app.
And the 1340 was my superscore from my May and October SAT tests.
and my 9-11 GPA is a 91.33 which is a 3.7
and I was awarded the Foundation in Excellence scholarship, which is 11.5 k, which is half a ride, but my recruiter said I would get 2/3 with my gpa and test scores.
</p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>You told your recruiter that you have a 1340, but you probably didn’t make it clear that was from a superscore. Bama doesn’t superscore. So, the recruiter said that you’d get a 2/3 based on a misunderstanding. Sometimes people get confused when someone say that XXXX is their best M+CR…because sometimes that means “best M+CR from one sitting” or “best M+CR from a superscore.” </p>

<p>Also, I don’t think your recruiter told you that if you get “above a 1300 you’ll get 2/3 scholarship”…
s/he probably said that “if you get a 1330 or above”. The recruiters know those numbers by heart.</p>

<p>I’m sorry for the confusion. You might contact your recruiter so that he/she will be certain to get such clarification from future applicants. </p>

<p>It sounds like your best M+CR SAT is about 1320, which is why you got the half tuition award.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids
No my recruiter flat-out told me i would get 2/3. he had a sheet of paper from an alabama brochure that EXPLICITLY stated i would get 2/3 for cracking 1300. I plan on speaking to him this week.</p>

<p>Yes, please speak to him. Do you have his contact info?</p>

<p>The Alabama brochure doesn’t list 1300 for the 2/3 tuition UA Scholar scholarship. It lists 1330. Do you have a copy of the brochure? If so, look at it again. </p>

<p>As for “cracking” the needed 1330 score, that would be from one sitting. Did you tell the recruiter that your score was from a superscore? </p>

<p>Again, if you told your recruiter that you had a 1340, but didn’t mention that was from a superscore, then the recruiter would have unintentionally given you confusing info.</p>

<p>Please contact your recruiter. If you don’t have his contact info, give us his name and we’ll get it for you.</p>

<p>If you don’t have a copy of the brochure, ask your recruiter to send/email a copy to you.</p>

<p>Longsx3 and MichiganGeorgia, regarding SC Honors since you brought it up… D has also been accepted to both UA Honors and SC Honors. We visited both schools. We are extremely impressed with the SC Honors program and found the students at SC to be just as friendly and polite as those at UA. The programs are definitely different at each school, so I guess it depends what you’re looking for.</p>

<p>If a student decides to apply to UA after December 1, is that student not eligible for any scholarships?</p>

<p>Needatvacation - Thanks . DS got into both and I thought SC honors was ranked #1 at least that’s what some material said. Anyway that’s why he applied there. I think we probably need to take a trip to check it out.</p>

<p>If a student decides to apply to UA after December 1, is that student not eligible for any scholarships?</p>

<p>If the student is going to be a NMF then Bama will still award the NMF scholarship even if the student applies after Dec 1.</p>

<p>As for other scholarships…I wouldn’t count on it.</p>

<p>Did your child apply after Dec 1.</p>

<p>needavacation glad you shared your experience, while different than ours a collective perspective creates a better picture of each school. Congrats to your D on her acceptances!</p>

<p>My S was accepted to both SC and UA as well and is a 1st year student at Bama. </p>

<p>Although both schools offered nice merit packages (UA Presidential, SC Cooper Scholars which is In State less $4K per year) and have good Business schools the biggest difference for my son was the “campus feel”.</p>

<p>SC is urban, the campus has sections…you can’t walk to the football stadium as it is several miles away at the SC state fair grounds (similar to NC State if anyone has visited there)…the greek village is very nice but it is “off campus” a block or two, and the dorms…the Honors dorm at SC is nice and new but you share a room you don’t get your own room like at Bama (and for you non-Honors students Bama has “suite” style (you get your own room) for you as well (Presidential, Lakeside and Riverside).</p>

<p>Good luck with your decisions…Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids…I read where you said Alabama does not take out PE for GPA calculation. Very interesting. What if your child’s home school does not include PE grade in their GPA, will Bama recalculate, adding it back in? If only we could find .2 more on DS’s GPA</p>

<p>I don’t know if Bama will recalculate it back in because Bama usually just takes the highest GPA that’s on the transcript.</p>

<p>BUT…try this! Go to the GC and tell them that Bama accepts PE in the GPA. Recalculate your son’s GPA with PE in it, and ask the GC to hand write that on a transcript and send it to Bama. Bama will accept a handwritten GPA from a GC.</p>

<p>In the meantime, if you write to Mary Spiegel, include a mention of the PE grade that was left out.</p>

<p>outstanding! I am now going to go back and recalculate his GPA, including PE to see if that clears the hurdle</p>

<p>M2CK - Did your child apply after Dec 1.</p>

<p>DD did before the deadline, and DS did after. Thought our in-state school was going to happen, but didn’t. So, now realizes he needs to add some schools to his list. Just a really bad judgement call. And, probably a really expensive mistake.</p>