What is the happiest UC?

<p>Obviously I won’t be making my decision based off of this, but today at a free college admissions workshop, the speaker’s closing words were,</p>

<p>“Go where you will be happy.”</p>

<p>That started to get me thinking.</p>

<p>I’ve visited most of the UC campuses, and personally, despite their rank, I’ve found schools like UC Berkeley and UC San Diego somewhat boring and depressing based off what I have seen.</p>

<p>It seems like a superficial element, but something I have to keep in mind is that college is meant to be an enrichment of our lives and a true experience above all.</p>

<p>Obviously opinions will differ, but just curious, at which UC’s do you think the students actually ENJOY their time there?</p>

<p>I go to Irvine and I’m pretty happy. <em>shrugs</em> You say Berkeley and SD seem depressing but I know people who are pretty happy at those schools too! Just depends on you.</p>

<p>sounds like you are asking about school spirit, no?</p>

<p>Yup, like PunkyShoester said, it depends on you. I go to UCR and I’m happy (the weather sucks in the summer, but that’s the Inland Empire for you), but another UCR-goer might not enjoy our small sports scene compared to a school like Cal or LA, for example. You should really take a look at academics, of course, but also what you personally enjoy. </p>

<p>Is it important for you to be close to the beach? SB or SD might be perfect. Do you want to live in a college town? Davis or Riverside might work. Do you want a big nightlife and lots of stuff to do on the weekends? A big-city school like Cal or LA might be what you need. Do you want to /really/ be on your own? Go to school far from home.</p>

<p>Personally, I wanted an affordable school that was close to home with a great English/Writing program, a thriving arts scene, and lots of student-teacher interaction. UCR fit my needs, and the people in my program are awesome, which makes a happy academic experience for me.</p>

<p>College definitely should enrich your life, but the term “happiest UC” is subjective and ultimately up to you. Visit the heck out of the UC campuses (even though you’ve already visited) and really take in the surrounding city, academic opportunities, campus life, and student body.</p>

<p>UC Davis! It’s considered to be the 10th happiest school in the nation :slight_smile: but like the other posters have mentioned, its all about YOU. What kind of an atmosphere would you like best, and the kind of person you are.</p>

<p>The overall atmosphere according to my experience.</p>

<p>Happy-go-lucky
Irvine</p>

<p>Carefree happiness
Davis
UCSB
UCSC</p>

<p>Frosty
UCB
UCLA
UCM</p>

<p>Gloomy wistfulness
UCSD
UCR</p>

<p>There is a huge difference between UCI and UCR. UCI students are open and willing to engage in conversation. UCR, the least happy and inviting campus, is palpably hostile.</p>