What is wrong with UC system?

<p>My son is definately a B student. He applied most of the UC campus but all rejected him. Howevr, he got accepted by Penn State and U Conn. I began to wonder what is UC’s admission policy? I don’t think my S will be accpeted by above mentioned schools if he is not capable of being successful in college. What is wrong with UC evluation system? So I paid a lot of taxes but my child cannot go to a decent in-state college.</p>

<p>You answered your own question. The average GPA for undergrad admission is higher than 3.5 for all of the UC Campuses, with UC Merced having the lowest at 3.53 not to mention that 6 UC Campuses; UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI, and UCSB now have an average GPA of over 4.0. Since your son is a B student this equates to a 3.0 GPA, so it makes sense that your son didn’t get in considering so many other applicants have better grades.</p>

<p>Many state Unis are much easier to get into than UC. Neighboring Arizona and Arizona State, for example, accept C+ students (depending on test scores). Unfortunately, the average HS in California is pretty bad, and it is not difficult to earn B’s in college prep courses. Thus, UC-gpa’s are inflated.</p>

<p>you also neglected the 23 Csu’s. just saying. You think paying taxes qualifies everyone to get into a UC ? Sorry, but even most CSU’s are over 3.0 in average GPA</p>

<p>I would say that other State colleges’ ranking are as good if not beter than some UC campuses (UCR and UC Merced). CSUs are not up there, so not the same quality education. Just like what Andrew was saying my tax dollar cannot get my child a quality education. That is sad. I also agree that the UC high school GPA are inflated.</p>

<p>Inflated or not. Your son’s grades were no where close to the average.</p>

<p>The problem is that the state’s population continues to grow while funding for the UCs have remained relatively stagnant. More competition for effectively fewer spots. </p>

<p>Out of state colleges are “easier” to get into because you’ll be paying the full unsubsidized tuition rate. They’ll take you as long as enrollment spaces are available (provided minimum admissions requirements are met).</p>

<p>With the exception of Cal Poly SLO and SDSU, your son’s grades are pretty much in line with the CSUs.</p>

<p>College is what you make out of it… Plus a B student (3.0 GPA?) isn’t really high … lots of my friends with around 3.5 - 3.6 GPA (with 1900 on the SAT) can’t even get into any UCs except Merced and Riverside… This is life… and it sucks.</p>

<p>what you are basically saying here is that “quality” only lies in a UC? well, what your son COULD do is go to a CSU, prove that he has the ability to succeed in college by getting A’s (since, by your definition, a CSU is a lower quality school, so he should have no trouble getting A’s), then TRANSFER to a UC after a year or two… if he truly deserves the spot, then he’ll be admitted; if not, an A student coming out of a CSU is not that bad off, the job field is plenty big, or he’ll have a pretty good shot at getting into a good graduate school, which is what he should be shooting for anyways.</p>

<p>…Or he could go to community college, prove himself, and then transfer. </p>

<p>Sorry, but an education from a top50 school is not a right, its a privilege. </p>

<p>UCs are becoming very competitive, and they can’t accept the thousands of 3.0 students who apply each year. Besides, if your son cannot get at least half A’s and B’s in classes that are fairly easy, how does he expect to pass his classes at a UC?</p>

<p>Here is my take on the subject –</p>

<p>GPA, SAT EC all matter. In addition you have a better chance of getting in if you declare a major as opposed to being an “undelcared major”.</p>

<p>You have a better chance of getting in if you select a major that is less popular then the others.</p>

<p>It is all about competition within the bucket you select.</p>

<p>Just because someone pays tax it doesn’t mean they should be able to get what they want
unconditionally…</p>

<p>UCs are the best public institutions in the western part of the nation. Having a 3.0 GPA only proves that your son does not deserve admission into these schools considering that the average GPAs for the UCs are well above 3.0.</p>

<p>Again, in agreement to the poster above, an education at a UC is a privelidge not a right. Paying taxes doesnt mean crap.</p>

<p>It’s true the UC’s have become much more competitive in the past few years. My son with a 3.25 gpa and SAT scores in the 1900’s was rejected from all four mid-tier UC’s he applied to, but was accepted by Merced, which he didn’t apply to. He attends a California high school ranked in the top 20 in the state, is an editor of his high school newspaper, varsity sports, work experience, community service etc, middle-class white boy in an academic family. He complains that if he attended an inferior high school he wouldn’t have to work as hard for a much higher gpa and would have a better shot at being accepted by the UC’s, which may be true. He certainly is capable and ready for the rigorous standards associated with mid- to upper tier UC’s. So, fair or not, there are probably a multitude of rejected “B” students from top California schools who may be equally or more capable than many of the accepted “A” students from mediocre schools, but given the tens of thousands of applications, the UC’s have to draw the line somewhere, with gpa being awarded the most points.</p>

<p>^^While your son’s complaints are understandable, they are not realistic. The top UCs go deep into the senior class of competitive high schools, accepting the top 10-15% of the class (Cal and UCLA, for example), but may only accept the Val/Sal of a mediocre HS. So, yes, API matters.</p>

<p>Aren’t government run enterprises just dandy?</p>

<p>What bluebayou said is very true; the top public school in CA is the top feeder for both Cal and SD, sending roughly 60 students to both schools every year, while the two schools accept almost 90 and 165 students respectively (from ucstatfinder), from a senior class of about 510 students. </p>

<p>Also, the UC is only supposed to accept the top 12.5% of all students in CA, and taxes for higher education are spread around to accommodate UC’s, CSU’s, and CC’s.</p>

<p>Just a quick question: how did your son get rejected by all the UC’s? He might have been rejected by those he CHOSE, but you’re garunteed acceptance to UCR or UCM if you don’t get accepted by your schools of choice. He must have been accepted by ONE.</p>

<p>When you say most of the UC, i’m assuming u didn’t apply to UCR and UCM at all -.-. From my understanding. the UC system is still a public institution and is funded by the government. With budget cuts and the economic crisis, the UCs just cant fit as many students as they arent getting money to support it while they need to spend the money wisely for their other stuff -.-. Plus theres more applicants each year, and the UCs cant be accepting the same % of students each year, so it’s going to keep going down. Just cuz ur child is a B-Avg student which is the requirement to apply for the UCs(3.0) does not mean ur child should be accepted to the UCs. He may have had bad SATs, EC, essay?</p>

<p>SHsurprise post #5: I would say that other State colleges’ ranking are as good if not beter than some UC campuses (UCR and UC Merced). CSUs are not up there, so not the same quality education. Just like what Andrew was saying my tax dollar cannot get my child a quality education. That is sad. </p>

<p>it sounds like he got in those fine, his mom just thot he was too good for them lol</p>

<p>I appreicate all the posts and points. Especially ReadyNot “rejected “B” students from top California schools who may be equally or more capable than many of the accepted “A” students from mediocre schools”. My S is not one of them but I am sure there are a few B students out there who missed such chance. Also, where are the C and D students in CA? So can I assume UC only accepts about 25% all HS graduates?</p>