What Is Your Favorite Part of The University of Michigan?

Hi! I am currently a sophomore at The University of Michigan and I am wondering what people think separates Ann Arbor from other schools across the country? What makes the University of Michigan as special as it is?

The more replies, the better! I hope to get a lot of your opinions!

For example, my favorite part of Ann Arbor is that there is a city-side and a country-side to campus. You can walk to South State Street or Main Street to witness a city-life atmosphere, and you can go to the Diag to witness a greener, cleaner environment!

Looking forward to reading and interacting to everyone’s responses!!!

I will play since it’s slow here now… I love the Arb. Students usually don’t discover it right away. It’s like taking an adventure but on campus and it’s beautiful. Great place to go chill or do homework.

https://mbgna.umich.edu/nichols-arboretum/

1 Like

The marching band…it is terrific. Not quite as good as tOSU band…but still great.

1 Like

Full disclosure - I was a student in the 90s. But, I don’t live far and am on campus 10 times a year … so I haven’t lost touch.

1. Love the Arb - if you live on the Hill, more likely to wander over there – but everyone should check it out. It’s a great walk, refresh, “forest bathing”, etc.
  2. Restaurants. The rich market of a thriving college town makes the restaurant options & cuisines above average – and with a full range of price points. While you are a student – try new foods.
  3. Sports. I am not the sportiest person – but it’s really cool to attend college sports - and UM has a lot. Not just football (which I love going to football games). Also - you should check out other sports- hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, swim… AND - if you are student - I highly recommend trying intramural sports. It’s like gym class…great way to destress.
  4. Nerd alert – the libraries are really awesome. The materials, the study space, I also worked at the UGLI Reserve desk for work study – that was a great job.

I have a fun little story which might serve as a departure from the more important considerations you are facing –

I was born in Madison, WI. My parents and three of my grandparents are alumni of the University of Wisconsin. My dad and his dad are huge Badger fans, and they tried to bring me into the fold from an early age – as long as I can remember.

Well when I was about four years old, they took me to the Wisconsin/Michigan game at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison. We all wore red.

And I cheered for Michigan because I preferred their uniforms and helmets.

That put some heat on my forebears during the game – apparently some drunk fans were asking them to shut me up, as I was (still am) vocal – and my heretical behavior has been a dreadful scandal ever since.

Of course, I ended up following them to UW, and my sister followed me a couple years later. But as a boy, I was in love with the Michigan Wolverines.

@prezbucky - I assume at some point you pointed at the mascot and said “Why is there a skunk in a popcorn box down there?” :wink: Sorry, fellow midwesterner, couldn’t resist. Actually, real life badgers are pretty bad@**.

Back on topic, I’m on board with all of TigerKatherine’s list.

In terms of other physical plant highlights:

• I would add the Law Quad as a great feature.
  • Also, Yost is a seriously underappreciated asset to the university. If you have the time to make an afternoon public skate there with natural light streaming through the huge windows, do it. It’s a pretty awesome experience, and definitely not something available many places. Daytime games there are amazing, too.
  • I’m also a big fan of the re-imagined Union. Totally transformed since my time as a student, when it was just dark and uninviting. The courtyard is one of the absolute gems of campus now. That project was extremely important, as there’s definitely an arms race happening out there in terms of student unions at other schools.
  • Adding a vote for the Hatcher second floor reading room, too.

Having the university broken up into 15 or 20 or however many it is schools is a great feature, and good way to ensure that even within such a huge institution, everyone can get a little bit of the feel of a smaller, close-knit community while still swimming in a big, exciting ocean. Can’t say, I guess, if that’s a differentiator from other public universities. Perhaps not, but it does help Michigan appeal to students who are more naturally drawn to small or mid-size schools: you can get the benefit of an incredible, large college town and a university where everything is happening and every curiosity you could possibly have can be indulged, but also not feel like you’re just an anonymous one of 40,000 all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.