What LACs are good for ill equipped students?

Not an expert but maybe Butler University? Small midwestern school in Indianapolis, non-competitive and friendly, just started a Data Science major (minor?). The Netflix series Dogs just did an episode on the Butler Bulldog and I was reminded about how friendly and nice the people there were which comes through in the film.

8 Likes

I suggest you move your question over to the Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4 thread. His GPA may be higher than that, but it is a supportive group who understand what you are talking about and have kids similar to yours. Or just read through the posts. Thereā€™s also a Parents of the HS Class of 2021 3.0-3.4 that might give you some ideas of where those kids have been accepted. There are also older threads for kids with GPAs in the 3.0 range. I find them to be the most welcoming place on CC.

15 Likes

Interesting-- my son has written less than
one short 5 paragraph essay per year and thatā€™s after some complaints by me because one of the teachers says she ā€œdoesnā€™t believe teaching essay writing is importantā€

Iā€™ve taught in Bardā€™s two week summer writing institute. That taught me everything I know about teaching writing, and almost everything I know about teaching. Although it was started to, and I quote Leon, ā€œgive the freshman some social bonding before the girls become prey to the upperclassmen,ā€ I canā€™t imagine a better way to start college writing than that. It was a great way to start my career as a teacher. Iā€™ve thought about calling them and seeing if theyā€™d let him register for just the two weeks (Bard is way out of price range). I imagine itā€™s a no, but I might just do it anyway.

Puget Sound is an absolutely perfect choice, but also even farther out price range. (after NPC) Lawrence and Knox do come into our budget range (again according to NPC)

10 Likes

Quite a few schools have prefreshman programs where students work on writing and other college readiness skills. I know schools often also set aside different first year writing courses for different student levels (advanced, regular, regular with help, remedial). I donā€™t need to tell you how important it is for students to learn how to write a college paper.

Sorry if you already know this, but It looks like the CSUs have an Early Start program so, if Sonoma State (for example) was a good match, he would be able to spend time the summer before his first year taking some classes to make sure heā€™s ready.

(fully online, at least for Sonoma State)

3 Likes

So we just visited a bunch of colleges. You should check out Fairleigh Dickinson. So many things you have said, plus our tour, make me think it would be the perfect fit for him. If you PM me I can provide more information. But it looks like it hits your price range. Close to an airport. The kids we met sound a lot like your son but were now excited about learning. OUr tour guide had a science major and will graduate in 5 years with a masters. Writing center and teachers give extra credit if you use it and some require you to. THe Florham location is the old Vanderbilt compound. Pretty much the exact opposite of inner city CA in atmosphere.

6 Likes

The Colleges That Change Lives book will give you good indepth, inside information that includes student anecdotes. Itā€™s an easy read, broken down by geographical area. I would definitely recommend looking at the book!

3 Likes

Yeah that bookā€™s okay but doesnā€™t give me a tailored look inside. But I noticed that the people on this forum often have little inside scoops on things and you can ask specific questions about the wierd thing you are wondering about.

Iā€™m basically trying to add one school per day to my list since itā€™s already a bit full from all the schools I knew of that also give good merit and need aid in combination. Iā€™m getting that here so far.

2 Likes

Kenyon does this with their KEEP program. This is a summer enrichment program for incoming freshmen. Attendees also earn credits during the process. Further, Kenyon eliminates work-study requirements for some KEEP students, and provides a stipend for need-based attendees.

Also, Kenyonā€™s Camp 4 allows some rising HS juniors and seniors to attend a paid 3-week program to address some of your concerns.

7 Likes

No, Eckerd does not seem to be a good match for this student. While the acceptance rates are high, one of the first year courses alone will do him in. Human Experience is a fall and spring course that is Very heavy reading/writing and discussion based. I have some concerns for this student and recognize the parentā€™s parameters. If he has not received a HS education that prepared him for college and student is not aware of current social/political/global conditions, I donā€™t see him succeeding at the college level unless he is better prepared. To send him to an institution where he can have an easy first year is not ideal for him in the longterm. I would suggest that you research colleges that will accept a student into remedial classes. This approach may require the student to attend for 5+ years, but will be better prepared for a career and social interactions.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think asking for remedial classes and merit scholarships go together.

But yeah, starting heavy on the great western civilization in first year is the kind of thing Iā€™m worried about.

An easy first year is EXACTLY what he needs to adjust to college, given that he is inherently bright but more given because the parameters here are LAC with merit aid = he can afford to attend.

In other words, heā€™s riding the merit to get to go to college in the first place, which oftentimes leads one, as you know, straight into Great Books. Thatā€™s kind of the premise here. How to best mitigate that, given where the merit aid tends to accumulate, though itā€™s not exclusively that way.

This one round post high school is his one shot at merit aid. His grades will likely never be what they are now.

State schools and other options are another question not included in this thread

It is a curious and perhaps not fair artifact of this situation that he can qualify for merit, but he can.

1 Like

I kind of forgot that he is looking for a merit scholarship, too and I totally get where youā€™re coming from. Take advantage of the grades to get the money, but land in a place where he wonā€™t be overwhelmed and (at least for this thread) a place that has the advantages of an LAC. Itā€™s a magic combination, but I think itā€™s out there. Taking some kind of pre-college prep summer program through some other college seems like a good way to set him up to not be in way over his head that first year.

5 Likes

Thanks for the lead on the Kenyon Camp 4!!!

I was searching for things like that but getting a lot of clutter from other things not really getting to what I wanted. That is exactly what Iā€™m looking for and something I would borrow money one time for no question about it!

Any more leads on residential summer programs, Iā€™m definitely up for them. A big part of that is the experience of moving in with a bunch of strangers which heā€™s never had before, and needs.

Will get back to you about U Dayton and other things --canā€™t get their NPC page to load.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s your current list? It may help everyone better understand what appeals to you and think of similar nichey places.

2 Likes

Stetson
Tampa
Stamford
Centre

2 Likes

This list is based on NPC and includes those colleges where we think we can swing it, and the admissions is not impossible. Thatā€™s basically the only criteria although Iā€™ve probably omitted the most conservative or most Greeky colleges (some greek is ok) Iā€™ve come across so far, and plenty of seriously Christian colleges have great aid, which makes sense of course but not desired in this case. So basically this is a very mechanical list and wont actually reveal preferences. Not all are technically LAC

Hendrix
Knox
Lawrence
U Richmond
Vassar (an URM from our high school got a full ride here. Weā€™re not URM)
Grinnell
Cornell College
Beloit (financial reach)
St Olaf
Gustavus Adolphus
Macalester
Boston College
Colgate University
Trinity, TX
Muhlenberg
York PA

Some that are 5K-10K over what we can do even with loans (keep in mind there is a twin sister involved too!):

Kenyon
Denison
Whitman
Oberlin
Susquehanna
Hartwick
Hiram
Denver U
Wheaton
Wooster

Examples of way out of bounds:

Juniata
New College of Florida
Ursinus
and of course lots moreā€¦

There a A LOT of affordable LACs (given merit and need) that are very competitive and not on the list. He might even reach for one, but whatā€™s he going to do when he gets there? So, not on the list.

5 Likes

My niece is going to UR, my daughter toured but didnā€™t apply because we canā€™t afford (3.9 gpa, 33 act, 7/APā€™s, 4 year 3 season varsity athlete). When we had our first in college, my husbandā€™s income was similar to yours, we didnā€™t get any FA except unsubsidized federal loans. With all of our kids, in state public was almost always the cheapest option.

Surprisingly, the top tier of my list costs about the same or less than UC would for us according to NPC. But there are a lot of savings in not traveling obviously, and Iā€™m not counting pockets of scholarship opportunity available for CA residents. So itā€™s not a fair comparison right now.
On the other hand, when the new FAFSA law goes into effect our twins will have their aid halved at public school, while CSS schools will likely be more dependable. Thatā€™s actually what launched this search.

This inquiry is only about private schools, but after all there is a chance it will wind up UCSC or University of Utah.

1 Like

Colgate is very greeky. I think half the student body is greek.
I was going to recommend Hartwick, but it is surprisingly expensive.

2 Likes

Thanks on the greeky heads up. Thatā€™s just my prejudice. Who knows maybe greek is what he needs. We are a dry family though and Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™s ill equipped to face a drinking culture also. If his only choice to be social is to drink, heā€™ll drink though. I feel sorry for him there.

Hartwick yielded 25k np with merit and no need aid, which is too far out of bounds for us.

Awww, I used to teach a class like that. I was a PT adjunct and taught mostly evening classes; many of my students came from low SES high schools. They were wicked smart, just lagged in some areas like research and writing. Most had never written a paper more than 1 or 2 pages. By far my most favorite class to teach.

5 Likes