What makes Choate Unique?

What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools? How can one answer this type of questions in interview or essays? I know that Choate offers signature programs that are not offered in other boarding schools.
I researched and researched endlessly but I can’t get a any satisfactory point yet.
Furthermore, How can one get an information that makes a school unique in general (like website, CC, Niche review …)
I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR RESPONSE, PLEASE!

1 Like

The answer to this question is what makes Choate unique for YOU. The school already knows how it differs from its peers.

6 Likes

I simply want to attend Choate because of its strong curriculum, beautiful campus, and even higher rankings. But does that sound like an answer that admissions officers would appreciate?

1 Like

What they appreciate in an interview is your ability to express yourself clearly and your ease with the conversation. They are not looking for “right” answers as much as they are evaluating your readiness for the boarding school experience. Thoughtful answers and easy back-and-forth with an adult will leave a positive impression—and that’s all the interview is for. Don’t overthink this and don’t stress. Similar for essays; express your ideas genuinely and clearly. Say what YOU want to say, not what you think the interviewer/reader wants to hear. They want to hear your voice, what makes you you.

ETA: I’ve often shared the story here of our son’s interview with the Andover AD. When the AD asked him if he had a first choice school, our son promptly said, “Yes, Exeter.” The AD pointed to his own shirt where the word ANDOVER was clearly visible and said, “Did you mean Andover?” Our son replied, “No sir. Exeter is my first choice.”

After the interview, the AD came over to us red-faced and laughing and said he’d admit our son just for honesty. He hadn’t had such a good laugh in a long while. He enjoyed the interview but especially that last bit.

6 Likes

I would urge you to find more particular reasons, as prestige, beautiful campus and strong academics applies to pretty much every boarding school. What made you pick Choate over Hotchkiss, or Deerfield, for example? That answer might be what you could write about.

7 Likes

Thank you guys for all your thoughtful responses!

Cinnamon1212
I have a gut feeling that I will enjoy this school. But I don’t have a concrete and tangible response. What would you say if you were in my shoes?

1 Like

What are your interests and how does Choate align with those. My nephew was attracted to the science research program and ultimately participated in it. It was a great experience. Also very aligned with his application and extremely strong math science background.

So what will you take advantage of at Choate?

1 Like

I definitely cannot answer that for you! Find some concrete things that you like. There should be a bunch that you can come up with.

2 Likes

Great point here.

May I ask, did he end up getting admitted to Andover?

1 Like

No, he had to settle for Choate. :wink:

7 Likes

I know exactly how you feel - I’m not sure why I specifically want to go to Choate. I don’t have a clear answer, it’s more of a gut feeling. The problem is that I have my interview tomorrow! Does anyone have an idea of a good answer that’s tangible? The answer has to come from me, I know, but I just need an idea of what kind of answer you should give (or any specifics that come to mind).

1 Like

I’m a Choate alum from the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I understand that you are very young and that the interview process may seem intimidating. As others on this thread have said, there are no " right answers". I was once in your shoes and still clearly remember my Choate interview. It was a very low key conversation about my interests, my passions and how the opportunities offered at Choate would enable me to reach my goals. What are you interested in? It could be environmental science, visual arts, theatre, Robotics, study abroad, pursuing your sport or musical instrument. It doesn’t really matter. They want to find out who you are and how you will fit into the Choate community. Just be yourself. Take a look at the course offerings and programs offered and think about what interests you and why. Wishing both you and the OP the best of luck :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

So here’s a fairly tried-and-tested method I used on my college apps (by the way, when I applied to independent schools in 2018-19, I don’t recall ever being asked a “Why us?”):

1. Figure out one or two things you’re interested in. I’m going to make up a hypothetical student who likes history and theater, and is applying to Lawrenceville (as it’s the school with which I’m most familiar).
  2. Search around online. Look at the school’s social media accounts, their website, the student newspaper, their viewbook, and if you know anyone who goes there, contact them! They can all be useful (and personally, if anyone asks me anything about my school, I’ll always be happy to answer—I don’t know anyone who is any different).
  3. Come up with one or two offerings in each category specific to that school that appeals to you. For instance, this hypothetical student may say, “I’m really interested in the Heely Scholars program at Lawrenceville, because I’ll get to dive deep into archival research, and the Cases in American Democracy class you can take for your U.S. History requirement seems incredibly interesting. I would also like to participate in Winterfest, as I’ve always wanted to try to direct my own show.”
  4. If there’s anything about the institution that it particularly prides itself on, look to maybe namedrop one of those. Lawrenceville really centers itself around House and Harkness, so you can say something like, “The Harkness method would really help me engage with the material” (and even tie it into the blurb about the “Cases” class above), or “I would really love to form stronger bonds with my classmates as a member of one of the Houses.”

I don’t really know much about Choate, but with an hour or two (…yeah…) of digging, you could probably come up with something similar!

4 Likes

I’ve done this multiple times (10+) and have gotten “oh, you’ve done your research” at least in 4, smiles in 3, and they wrote notes automatically (I’m not joking, they actually did) 100% of the time.

1. find a topic you like and find classes. Remember the names. If you don’t, don’t even try to say it. Just search “Choate Course Selection” or “Choate Course Catalog” and find 1-2 classes. Sprinkle in a language if you’re interested in that. (Use CTRL + F to filter)

2. If you like sports/want to do it, look for sports. Try to mention.

3. Finally, find clubs/extracurriculars you’re interested in.

Now, when they ask “Why choate” or “What attracts you?” you have to namedrop these like you dropped all your money on the ground. Don’t sound confused either. be confident. ex: I’m really interested in choate because __ and ___. When I do these activities, I ____. I can even practice (whatever activity) in classes like ____ and __."

I even advise you to try to do this: if they ask “oh what do u want to improve on” somehow slide your research in there.

Warning I have no clue if this was foolproof since it sounds really 'professional." but I got a lot of notes written down and smiles when I used this technique.

2 Likes

The secret of the “why us” essay is it is actually a “why you + us” essay. How do you want to engage with Choate’s academics, clubs and programs? How will you maximize the opportunities to grow and how will that make you a valued contributor to life at Choate?

They don’t need you to quote their brochure back to them or tell them how great they are. They need to envision how you will engage as a student and a member of the school community. Paint a picture for them of you and your life at Choate.

8 Likes

There are numerous unique aspects to the school including these:

1. The Kohler Environmental Center and related science and environmental programs. There is nothing like it among secondary schools.

2. The historic emphasis on Arts as exemplified by outstanding Arts Facilities (PMAC and Colony Hall).

3. One of the best Heads of School in the Country. Dr. Curtis has been able to transform Choate into a leader in not just Arts but Science, Math and Public Service ( John F. Kennedy Program in Government and Public Service)

2 Likes