What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>Actually, this thread is more about What to Wear at Bama… :)</p>

<p>My kids’ high school had required uniforms, so before my older one went to Bama I sat in the Quad one day and took notice of what the kids were (mostly) wearing.</p>

<p>Of course, I paid more attention to what the boys were wearing, but I also noticed the girls.</p>

<p>For boys, this is what I’ve noticed…</p>

<p>warm weather…</p>

<p>khaki shorts
plaid shorts (but those might be losing popularity now - not sure)
polo shirts (a lot of Ralph Lauren, but not necessarily)
T shirts - including Bama ones
flip-flops (a lot of Rainbow and Sperry brand)
Sperry shoes (either without socks or with no-show socks)</p>

<p>cold weather</p>

<p>jeans
polos - often layered with a white or contrasting colored T underneath
T-shirts with long sleeve button down shirts on top (left unbuttoned - like a jacket)
waffle weave and regular long sleeved henleys
North Face jackets.
Sperry shoes</p>

<p>And…all kids need to bring at least one set of “dress clothes” …such a suit, tie, dress shirt, belt, dress socks, and dress shoes for boys and equivalent for girls. There are classes and special occasions where a student has to be dressed up.</p>

<p>what have you all noted?</p>

<p>Polos are essential. They can be worn for those business casual situations, and they come up very often. My son always requests more polos in every color of the rainbow. He is not worried so much about who makes them, rather, that he has them.</p>

<p>I should mention, before I go any further, my son is really into clothing. </p>

<p>Flip flops are a must. He has eight pairs, I think. </p>

<p>Keep the shorts to one or two colors for laundry purposes. Avoid jean shorts – it’s 98 degrees and humid in August when you move in. (And that’s a cool day)</p>

<p>Have a few pairs of jeans when you move in – there will be nights in October when temps dip into the 40s. My son thought it was a riot when his suite mates complained they were freezing and it was in the 50s. That’s a warm day at home, he told them.</p>

<p>Sweaters are nice when it’s chilly. Again, my son puts them on his wish list.</p>

<p>T-shirts. You never have too many Bama t-shirts. But remember, your son or daughter will also acquire more when he or she arrives at school. My son seemed to get them for anything he went to.</p>

<p>Wow - how opportune. S is also coming out of 4 years of uniforms and in dire need of clothes. Glad to have a concept of what to focus on and pass on to others for gift ideas, besides the standard “anything Alabama” and gift cards. </p>

<p>Nice to know what “cold weather” attire is sufficient. He doesn’t own any. He had to borrow dad’s jacket for Indiana in February snow, didn’t understand why a sweatshirt wasn’t good enough.</p>

<p>I also want to point out that fabric selection should be considered. Coming from the north/midwest… the weather is much more humid. Son says that the thicker cotton knit shirts available up north get very heavy and soggy. </p>

<p>My son recommends the light weight “dry fit” type fabrics. You can find lots of golf shirts / polos with the synthetic fabrics. They wash well and dry fast too.</p>

<p>I recommend at least a few hoodies. I can remember walking from Lakeside Dining up to the Quad one cold and windy January campus visit and stopping by The Ferg to buy a hoodie. My ears were freezing.</p>

<p>In the winter, layers work really well. My kids have even worn the Lands End silk long underwear pants under their jeans during a cold spell. They’re 100% silk, very thin (no bulk added), but actually a fine knit weave. </p>

<p>As a native Southern Californian (OC area), I can say that on a few days the weather is colder in the winter by about 10-25 degrees (T-town can drop to the teens occasionally). That can be shocking to the kid who’s used to really warm weather.</p>

<p>During the last couple of years, Bama has actually had a couple of snow days. Now, it’s not snow like y’all are used to up north. The snow barely accumulates and is usually gone by the afternoon. But, it sure is pretty!</p>

<p>And, like Southern Calif, on some warm days, the temp can drop to cold as soon as the sun goes down…so be prepared during a football game that will run into the evening/night.</p>

<p>Very good lists, m2ck and momreads!</p>

<p>I’d also like to suggest a raincoat and betraying my Seattle heritage, an umbrella. There are times when it does rain, notably during hurricane season.</p>

<p>If your child prefers to wear things not on the list, that’s perfectly fine. :slight_smile: Just keep in mind that it can be really hot (95 degrees) and really cold (12 degrees).</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, keep a small umbrella in your backpack at all times (the side pockets work well). There’s nothing worse than being caught off guard coming out of a class and it’s raining and you have to get to another building for another class.</p>

<p>My kids also keep gloves in their backpacks during the winter.</p>

<p>FYI, it does get cold here. I myself have earmuffs, toboggan hats and gloves that I use in the winter. There were a couple of days this January where I had to pull out the thermal shirts. Scarves are handy, too, but I don’t see too many guys wearing them.</p>

<p>In terms of rain gear, I’ve never seen a guy on campus wear rainboots, but girls almost wear them as a fashion item. Basically, as a guy, prepare for your pant legs to get soaked on rainy days.</p>

<p>feenotype - that’s my son’s reasoning for why he opts to wear shorts even in the rain. “No soggy pant legs.”</p>

<p>Yes, it would be nice if guys in the South would wear scarves when it’s cold. The women do. It’s great to be able to pull up a scarf around one’s face/ears when it’s cold and windy!</p>

<p>Maybe if the school were to adopt a scarf like NE schools, the boys would wear them.</p>

<p>*
Flip flops are a must. He has eight pairs, I think. *</p>

<p>Yes, flip flops are great…less laundry (no socks) and quick to put on in the morning!</p>

<p>This thread seems to have the boys covered. What are the girls wearing?</p>

<p>S is in the same situation: 4 years of uniforms left him with a very sparse wardrobe. We picked up a few winter items on sale but mom2’s suggestions are much appreciated. S does not wear flip flops but this is as good time as any to start.</p>

<p>Gosh, a lot of our kids wore uniforms during high school…LOL</p>

<p>As for the girls…</p>

<p>Warm weather
I’ve seen the cute boyfriend shorts with cute tops
the short white shorts with cute tops
sleeveless sun dresses or tank style dresses
and, of course, game day dresses!</p>

<p>Cold weather</p>

<p>(I need help here…LOL)</p>

<p>Definitely not Auburn shirts/hats/etc.
And vice versa when on the Auburn campus.</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>My son just put an orange polo that he had in the charity bag.</p>

<p>My son says that ALL the girls have at least one pair of Nike “Tempo” running shorts. </p>

<ul>
<li>I have two pairs myself… Both have the Script A on them. RTR!</li>
</ul>

<p>D says that it’s mostly leggings/running shorts and t-shirts for the girls unless they’re into dressing up and then skirts are the thing. She and most of her friends have found a consignment shop downtown that seems to be the place for the sorority girls to recycle last season’s Lily Pulitzer (sp?), Citizens of Humanity, and other “label” clothing. One of her suitemates even bought a formal there that she had seen for hundreds of dollars more in NY.</p>

<p>D is a current Freshman:</p>

<p>Fall/Spring wardrobe:</p>

<p>Nike Tempo shorts
Yoga pants
Jeans
Tshirts (one size to big)</p>

<p>Sundesses & Game day dresses
Business casual dresses (for school functions)
Going out clothes a bit on the fun side!!</p>

<p>Shoes: anything from flip flops to heels!</p>

<p>Winter:</p>

<p>Sweatshirts
Polarfleece Jackets- Northface
Ugg Boots</p>

<p>D also took a dress coat & wore it alot between gamedays and socializing!!</p>

<p>I never heard of Nike Tempo shorts before this forum. Guess I’ll need to order D a pair. </p>

<p>when we’ve been on campus, most of the girls seem to wear tops similar to what D already has and she trends towards Aerie & American Eagle. I guess I’ll have to remind her that she can wear shorts at college since she’s usually in jeans. And flip flops :)</p>