What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>

This is so funny, because while I was at Bama Bound (and looking at the huge VB collection in the supe store), I was talking to someone else from up north about how we haven’t worn Vera since we were 12. Where I’m from, it would basically be social suicide to use VB stuff once you’re out of middle school. Another similar thing that I saw down south was Coach – having a bag with C’s plastered all over it was fine when we were pre-teens, but now I don’t know anyone who would be caught dead with Coach bags or shoes. It’s so funny to see these differences.</p>

<p>Also…I know the big tshirts and nike shorts trend has been discussed on here…and it definitely is present on campus. All I have to say is, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it – I thought it sounded really weird, but once I saw how much easier it is to walk around bama bound in a tshirt and flipflops instead of a dress and nice sandals, I was hooked.</p>

<p>*I see all the talk about rain boots- is it really rainy in the winter? Are their big puddles and it really is good to have this or is it just a fashion statement? *</p>

<p>the rain here can be like Florida…it can be sunny and then suddenly the clouds move in and it rains. My kids carried one of those tiny umbrellas or one of those very thin hooded wind-breakers that fold small (I think REI and others sell them) in their backpacks so that when they were caught unaware (which can happen) their clothes and backpacks didn’t get soaked. </p>

<p>I strongly recommend some kind of tiny umbrella or “small foldable” rainjacket that can be tucked in a side pocket of a backpack… This is not the one my kids have, but it gives you an idea…they often come with a little pouch.
[Travel</a> Blue Folding Rain Jacket Small/Medium Cat No 531: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home](<a href=“http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Folding-Jacket-Small-Medium/dp/B000R2GFE6]Travel”>http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Folding-Jacket-Small-Medium/dp/B000R2GFE6)</p>

<p>I think my kids’ ones were made by Columbia. My H has a different packable one for his golf bag. They are life-savers. I suggest not getting them too tight, as sometimes a kid would be putting in on top of a hoodie or some other thick garment. </p>

<p>There are girl versions in color choices. </p>

<p>The rain isn’t like Calif, where it can rain for 3 days straight…Ugh. </p>

<p>In Alabama, it can start rather fast (huge fast drops) and then be done 30 minutes later (creating/leaving puddles). And, if you happen to be leaving a class without the right clothing/equip, you can find yourself getting quite wet.</p>

<p>Seriously, we’re from Calif and we’re used to a different kind of rain…rain that is predicted and then stays for days. When my parents first visited us when we moved to Alabama, we were in a store and when we came out, some big DROPS started falling, by the time we got to our car in the parking lot we were SOAKED beyond belief. Now, that kind of rain doesn’t happen all the time, but it can happen. </p>

<p>Also…it often rains over-night, so you may not find rain when you leave your dorm in the morning, but there will be wet areas/grass around campus. And, since the grass takes a beating during football season, that can mean muddy feet. (Seriously, I think the school should consider putting in that really hardy but VERY real looking fake grass on the Quad. lol)</p>

<p>*
How cold does it get and how warm are the dorms/classrooms? D is on the thin side, has low blood pressure issues, and gets cold very easily. *</p>

<p>I feel that the A/C keeps the rooms a bit too cold at night (when I spent the night there once). I would suggest flannel sheets for your D during winter months. My son uses flannel sheets year round so that the top sheet can also be the “blanket” during warm times. My other son likes the “jersey sheets”. </p>

<p>I think many kids like to have an extra throw/cuddle blanket in their rooms for either on their beds or for studying/watching TV. </p>

<p>BIG WARNING…never trust looking out your window to determine what to wear. Bama can have the sunniest sky out, yet be VERY COLD. My kids often dress in layers, and have a front-zip hoodie on top. They like the front zip styles because if they get a bit warm, then can unzip the front…and not have to remove the whole thing.</p>

<p>BTW…has anyone seen the Sally Hanson nail covers that come in houndstooth? If so, and you want them, I suggest getting them before coming to the state because they are hard to get here. </p>

<p>I’d like to get some for my toe-nails.</p>

<p>But I fear after looking at the Southern Proper website that it might be here for a few more years.</p>

<p>NJ, did you see the pastel men’s short-shorts at the Southern Proper site? My colleagues and I all agreed that they look like girls’ shorts. They even seem to be cut like girls’ shorts.</p>

<p>My sons may be oblivious to styles and trends, but I can safely say that they would not be caught dead in a ditch in pink pastel short-shorts, LOL.</p>

<p>ahpimommy – twins and we didn’t even know it! I don’t think I could convince my daughter to purchase duck shoes --maybe after a semester or so of slogging through the quad – I certainly would have killed for a cute pair of plaid sperrys back in the day – mine were blue (to match the coat, don’t you know).</p>

<p>I do think that California rain is different than Alabama rain. One of my very good friends in law school grew up in LA and went to UCLA for undergrad. When she arrived at SMU she really wasn’t familiar with the kinds of thunderstorms that are just par for the course in the south. Even in her third year in Dallas, she was still frightened every time we got a thunderstorm – and hail just about did her in. My husband is also from LA and he confirms that thunderstorms are rare enough there that people have accidents because they aren’t used to driving in the rain (just like we have accidents when it snows).</p>

<p>The other thing I’ve noticed is that I was far more sensitive to being prepared for rain back in the days when I actually had to be out and walking around in it. What seems like a minor shower when you’re watching it from your window can end up feeling less minor when you’re caught in a ten minute walk across campus.</p>

<p>I believe that I have posted before about clothing but to give another perspective, I’ll post again.
My son wears for the most part: Jeans and t-shirts (think interesting graphic t’s). When it is really hot, he will switch to shorts with the t-shirts. Usually he has a light sweatshirt in his backpack for early mornings/late evenings. He has a large selection of dress clothes: shirts, ties, slacks, suits, tux. He has used them quite often for meetings, inductions, and music performances. As for shoes -he has dress shoes, sneakers, and boots like these [Men's</a> Magnum 6" Stealth Force SZ](<a href=“Tactical Gear Superstore | TacticalGear.com”>Men's Magnum 6" Stealth Force Side-Zip Boots | Tactical Gear Superstore | TacticalGear.com) . They are both warm and waterproof.</p>

<p>However, the one indispensable thing that he owns is a waterproof bag. There are many different styles but try to find one that is completely waterproof, because when it rains, it can be a driving hard rain and keeping your computer and texts dry is very important. Some kids will just use plastic bags inside their backpack but my son bikes all over campus and that is not a good solution. It is an investment piece but well worth it since a good bag should last for years. My son also has a waterproof jacket, think Gore-Tex.
For the winter months add some hooded sweatshirts, thermals and a good jacket, gloves, hat and scarfs.</p>

<p>For the most part, just wear what makes YOU feel good and dress for comfort. Whatever you currently own should be fine with perhaps a few additions. Have a few dress items for those special occasions and you should be all set. </p>

<p>Don’t forget a few University of Alabama t-shirts, although other college t’s are fine too. :)</p>

<p>*BIG difference in our local: Vera Bradley, anything swirly and paisley, and monogrammed is seen as “older”, as in Senior citizen. *</p>

<p>When I first heard that girls were carrying VB, I was a little mystified because I kept thinking of the swirly “ole lady” stuff I’ve seen at Cracker Barrel. lol.</p>

<p>But, then I saw cuter patterns in the Supe store.</p>

<p>I guess there is a younger line that girls like. Such as…the mini hipsters, cross-bodies, and flipsters…in cuter patterns. Like the flipster in Versaille or Barcelona. [Flipster</a> | Vera Bradley](<a href=“http://www.verabradley.com/product/Flipster/1001090/defaultColor/Slate+Blooms/p/1001090.uts]Flipster”>http://www.verabradley.com/product/Flipster/1001090/defaultColor/Slate+Blooms/p/1001090.uts)</p>

<p>or the mini hipster in “symphony in hue”, barcelona, “hello dahlia,” or “night and day”</p>

<p>Or the “on sale” ones like “make me blush” or “piroette,” or “purple punch” (which is mostly black)… [Mini</a> Hipster | Vera Bradley](<a href=“http://www.verabradley.com/product/Mini-Hipster/154799/defaultColor/Blue+Lagoon/p/154799.uts?fromSearch=1]Mini”>http://www.verabradley.com/product/Mini-Hipster/154799/defaultColor/Blue+Lagoon/p/154799.uts?fromSearch=1)</p>

<p>thanks for sharing the waterproof bag idea. Robotbldmom! Will definitely add that to the “buy” list!</p>

<p>I think the waterproof bag sounds like a great idea! DD started with her laptop in a cute Vera Bradley case and she has a North Face and an Under Armour backpack. She has been reading this thread as we go and she did say that part of her routine EVERY morning is Weatherchannel.com. She also has a cute little umbrella she carries. We also own several different mini hipsters from Vera Bradley and also two cross bodies but she takes her small little zip ID case everywhere.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom, what kind of waterproof backpack does your son have? We could use one of those here in the rainy midwest, but I have no idea which brands are tried and true.</p>

<p>One of the reasons that my son has found the waterproof bag invaluable is that if you are bike riding you cannot use an umbrella and for him a poncho is not an option. The other reason is that sometimes it is very windy and an umbrella is of no use.</p>

<p>Also, I should mention that if you crisscross the quad to get to classes, it often times get really flooded when it rains, hence the rain boots.</p>

<p>There are many styles of bags to choose from, just google waterproof bags or backpacks.</p>

<p>LL Bean has “weatherproof” backpacks. </p>

<p>NOW EVEN BETTER – our largest pack, improved with a special bottom pocket and stretch cord outside to hold after-school gear.</p>

<p>If you live out of your backpack, this is the right one for you. It serves as a filing cabinet and a gym locker, with room to spare. Special shoe/uniform compartment at the base and stretch cord outside separate bulky after-school gear from books. Two large binder-sized main compartments and a front pocket with organizer panel zip open wide so you can find things easily. Audio cord port and storage sleeve for your MP3 player. Padded back panel and shoulder straps. Adjustable waistbelt. **Weatherproof **mini-ripstop nylon with a tough ballistic-nylon base. 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material piping. Imported. Designed for ages 15 and up.</p>

<p>Capacity 2,412 cu. in.</p>

<p>Weight 2 lb. 1 oz.</p>

<p>Dimensions 19"H x 14"W x 9"D.</p>

<p>[Turbo</a> Transit Pack: School Backpacks at L.L.Bean](<a href=“L.L.Bean: Page Not Available”>L.L.Bean: Page Not Available)</p>

<p>Right now, shipping is free. </p>

<p>I like this one because it has storage on the bottom to keep gym clothes or a jacket or whatever…</p>

<p>I’ve gotten several and they have LASTED…I’ve even been able to throw them in the washer for clean ups.</p>

<p>Make sure that your child knows not to wear dark clothes at night when walking/crossing streets at or around Bama.</p>

<p>Bama has street lights, but you’d be surprised how a darkly-dressed kid can be “unseen” while crossing a street.</p>

<p>Last year, I was driving on Hackberry one night and I almost didn’t see a kid crossing a street. He was in all dark clothes. The only thing I saw was that the hood on his hoodie had a white thermal mesh lining and the street light reflected on it. The whole thing shook me up big time. </p>

<p>Then, sometime later, my H and I were driving near the Strip on University (heading east), and some girl kind of ran out of a building to cross the street (towards Cold Stone) and my H didn’t see her at all. I saw her (because she bolted from my side) and I screamed out for him to stop. If I hadn’t been in the car, he would have hit her. She, too, was wearing dark clothes.</p>

<p>Neither of these kids were legally crossing the street (which is another matter), but even so, their dark clothing at night made it nearly impossible to see them.</p>

<p>The LLBean backpacks have reflection tape on them. If my kids wouldn’t flip out, I’d sew some on their hoodies in some “not obviously weird” location. LOL </p>

<p>One of the reasons that the school has become aggressive about closing streets is because these kids do illegally cross streets and do “dart” across streets.</p>

<p>Hard to beat LL Bean! :D</p>

<p>Mom2ck: Many athletic tees and shorts have reflective logos. Ours, for instance. :)</p>

<p>I don’t think I could convince my daughter to purchase duck shoes --maybe after a semester or so of slogging through the quad -</p>

<p>Oh, gosh, there are a few cute girl versions…</p>

<p>the ones with the animal print… [Sperry</a> Top-Sider Women’s Cormorant Rubber Slip On.](<a href=“Sites-sperry_us-Site”>Sites-sperry_us-Site)</p>

<p>^^^ or even the purple version on the same page.</p>

<p>or one of the Northface Nuptse boots. filled with DOWN…</p>

<p>I bought 2 pairs last year…one for me and one for son’s GF. We wore them all winter. And when we got all that odd snow, my son’s GF said that she was the only one with warm feet who wasn’t sliding around on ice. </p>

<p>My pair is black, but son’s GF wanted the brown pair for Xmas. The black pair isn’t shown here as an option. The pic makes the shoes look clunkier than they are. They aren’t clunky at all. Not nearly as “fat foot” looking as Uggs can be. </p>

<p>[The</a> North Face Nuptse Bootie III Fur Demitasse Brown/Moonlight Ivory - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways](<a href=“The north face nuptse bootie iii fur demitasse brown moonlight ivory the + FREE SHIPPING | Zappos.com”>The north face nuptse bootie iii fur demitasse brown moonlight ivory + FREE SHIPPING | Zappos.com)</p>

<p>Lady D…provide some links to some examples and you may find a stampede of orders. :)</p>

<p>^ If that’s considered kosher on CC, I’ll just do that little thing. :slight_smile: Thanks!!</p>

<p>I don’t see a problem…I posted links above for the Northface boots and the LL Bean backpack.</p>

<p>So I just got an email from my Toms loving D with the following link:
[Scottish</a> Houndstooth Women’s Classics](<a href=“http://www.toms.com/womens/classics/scottish-houndstooth-women-s-classics]Scottish”>http://www.toms.com/womens/classics/scottish-houndstooth-women-s-classics)</p>

<p>I know at least one UA student who’s gonna be rocking these come August in Tuscaloosa ;)</p>

<p>ETA: Another new Toms model they have is the Calculus 101 for our very math oriented students…and they’re red! <a href=“http://www.toms.com/womens/new-styles/calculus-101-women-s-classics[/url]”>http://www.toms.com/womens/new-styles/calculus-101-women-s-classics&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>RobD: Those shoes are so cute! I already found some houndstooth shoes for my D. I am going to spray them with Scotchgard. Should keep the shoes a little cleaner as well as waterproofing them. Love the calculus shoes as well. Do they run true to size? I worry about buying throught the mail.</p>