What NOT to Wear...at Bama... ;)

<p>Yes they are!! So Holly if you’re interested pm me :).
And Rose…would love to take the girls shopping…just say the word :).</p>

<p>OMG M2ck…we stayed just around the corner from the Summit and did not even realize it! When we were leaving the hotel … at 5am, may I add…DD pointed it out and commented that it looked like it had great stores from what we could see looking up from the Hwy.</p>

<p>If you get back to the Summit go to Swoozies!!! They have the cutest things! Bought DDthe cutest towel shower wrap, monogrammed. We also love Anthropologie (check out their sale room), Belk (they have a nice Llly dept), and James Avery! We always have frozen yogurt at 32 degrees and FLIP Burger is the best!!!</p>

<p>I was just wondering if clothes like Banana Republic (a little dressier) are still “in.” Also, does anyone know if only Vineyard Vines and Polo are the hot brands for guys’ polos? Is Lacoste worn?</p>

<p>I only live one state over, but it seems that college changes what is in style. Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>^^^
My older son wears Banana Republic, but he also wears Polo or store brands. My younger son wears Polo (sale!), Lacoste (sale!!!), and that Guy Harvey brand for (cuz GF and her mom buy those). </p>

<p>Both my kids wear Columbia …which also has an Alabama line…
[Columbia</a> Sportswear | Search Results](<a href=“http://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/Search-Show?q=Alabama&prefn1=team&prefv1=ALABAMA]Columbia”>http://www.columbia.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/default/Search-Show?q=Alabama&prefn1=team&prefv1=ALABAMA)</p>

<p>for shoes they wear: Sperrys, Clarks, Rainbow flipflops, and some pricey Hawaiian flipflops that I didn’t realize the price until we were home. LOL (that’s what I get for chatting while signing!) But…they’ve held up amazingly…going on their 3rd year.</p>

<p>Oh…and for winter wet/cold. I’ve mentioned before…last year I got my sons these Clark waterproof shoes that are lined with sheep shearling. They look like high-top Wallabees (in style), but they’re lined like Uggs. OMG…they loved them. totally waterproof and WARM.</p>

<p>Others have gotten the Duck Shoes for waterproof …I think Sperry makes some…and LL Bean.</p>

<p>Oh…and the girls wear rainboots with patterns on them…preferably houndstooth.</p>

<p>Southern Proper is also a brand worn quite a bit.</p>

<p>^^^
Ok…I had to google that because I had never heard of it.</p>

<p>[Southern</a> Proper - Southern Ties and Bowties](<a href=“http://www.southernproper.com/]Southern”>http://www.southernproper.com/)</p>

<p>Preppie on Steroids</p>

<p>I forgot about the rainbow flip flops and Souther Proper! They carry that at the Lockeroom as well (the southern Proper not the Rainbow flip flops). And guess what girls wear Guy Harvey too :slight_smile: (it’s the big over sized shirt thing). DD has rain boots, they are Hunters and she has black liners to go inside. Boys also wear PFG shorts (DD’s boyfriend has several pairs) and yes Polo…shirts, shorts (no cargos) and swim trunks (we will be hitting Polo outlet when we are at the beach house in 2 weeks!).<br>
If we are are going to jump to jewelery then it’s David Yurman all the way! Bracelets, rings, earrings…you name it. Most girls wear diamond stud earrings or small pearls. A nice pearl necklace and bracelet are staples, DD even will wear the necklace with the over sized shirt and shorts… LOL!. You see some Tiffany keys and now the locks. Michale Kors watches are everywhere. It’s early and my brain is tired…hmm let’s see. Sunglasses…Ray Bans and Costa Del Mars. But again…I would tell all of you who are reading this and then fretting…DON"T!!! It is so important to be who you are…be true to yourself. You will be uncomfortable and miserable if you try to “morph” into this person you’re not.</p>

<p>As the mom of a girl who didn’t go the sorority route, I wanted to jump in and say that D and her friends aren’t as clothing and jewelry conscious as the posts above might lead you to think. I’m not saying that as a slight to the girls who are, just to reassure students and parents that you don’t have to buy a new wardrobe to go to UA if you’re not going Greek :)</p>

<p>D never owned a pair of Tempo type shorts until she went to Bama Bound; she now has at least 5 pairs (in HS they couldn’t wear shorts to school, so she didn’t have a lot. Don’t forget that there’s no dress code in college, so a lot of the silly rules they had to worry about are no longer.) They were great in the beginning of Fall semester & end of Spring semester when it was hot. </p>

<p>Also: invest in a good pair of rainboots! I had bought D a cute pair of Houndstooth ones from Target. In October I got a phone call that they were leaking. She now has Sperrys.</p>

<p>Same goes for a good rain jacket. Umbrellas can be a real pain when you’re trying to get across campus holding books, so make sure it has a hood. </p>

<p>We also ended up buying her a lighter NorthFace jacket. She had her Denali, but it was a little too heavy so she now also has a Pumori.</p>

<p>Regarding bags: D has a couple of Vera’s, a Fossil cross body & her Coach. She uses her Vera wristlet the most while on campus. After a week or so on campus, she realized it was a pain to carry a bigger bag so she found a Vera wristlet that fits her ID, debit card, phone, cash and has a key fob on it. </p>

<p>When we’re on campus, most of the kids are wearing some type of Alabama t shirt and (depending on the weather) jeans or shorts. D has a few dresses, skirts & dressier tops that she’s needed for interviews, a honors college event or 2, etc.</p>

<p>ahpimommy - do any of the girls wear the short (mid-calf) Hunters or are they wearing the classic high ones? I’m planning on getting D a pair, and I know she doesn’t like the way her current high rain boots hit on her leg - not sure if that’s a high boot thing or because her current boots aren’t the best quality. Anyone know how the Hunter compares to the Sperry function-wise (D doesn’t much care about brands)?</p>

<p>I know some girls wear Brighton jewelry…</p>

<p>And, boys wear Oakleys on a croakie</p>

<p>and…big yes to what RobD wrote…many kids aren’t into brands at all and just wear whatever. No one needs to adjust/change/buy a new wardrobe. </p>

<p>these trends are largely nationwide trends that you see on most campuses. My nieces and nephews at various colleges across this country see these trends as well. And…some kids follow the trends…and some just don’t care. </p>

<p>I think my kids are somewhere in the middle…they have some popular brand clothes, but they also have just “store brand” clothes.</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips on rainboots and jackets! That is something else we know little about. </p>

<p>I’m seriously not concerned about the styles. My D is very low maintenance. Jeans, shorts and Bama shirts and she’ll be happy. Maybe I’ll get her one of those cute dresses I read about and have it in her closet just in case :)</p>

<p>Will we be able to find a nice jacket and rainboots when we’re there in August or is that something she’ll need to shop for on her own later? I’d hate to buy online just because I’m sure she’d want to try these things on.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom, My D has both a high pair and a low pair of Hunters (tall black and short yellow) and she has a pair of really cute Coach rain boots. She prefers the shorter ones because she is short and so are her legs. The high Hunters we got while we were in London last Spring and she needed boots and that’s what we found. I would suggest that you and your D just get what ever she is comfortable in. We had a pair of Sperry rain boots but DD didn’t like them because they weren’t stiff…she said they were kind of flimsy but they did keep her feet dry (isn’t that what really matters). I think she sold them to Plato’s Closet.<br>
I would agree with M2k and RobD …you should wear what you are comfortable in, regardless of the “label”. Yes my DD is in a sorority and so some of what I have posted is probably more “greek” dress that what girls who have chosen not to go greek wear but AGAIN I would encourage my DD and any other girl who attends UA to dress how you feel comfortable. My DD loves clothes and jewelry and so what we have bought is not new to what style she wore before. She was very excited and the different types of designers that are more popular in the south than in the Midwest and yes I do think that being in a sorority has influenced her thinking some but she for the most part doesn’t dress any differently style wise than she did before. I will tell you this, sorority girls shop on ebay and at Target (we spent a month trying to find a dress from Target that one of DD’s friend got while in Florida over Spring break), and they all SHARE clothes which also helps double your wardrobe. I am from the school that you get what you pay for and so if you invest a little more often times the item lasts longer.
DD has been wearing Nike shorts for a long time, she played basketball and tennis in high school and so the shorts shirt thing was just a part of her everyday wardrobe. The over sized shirt thing dd start at UA and I have to tell you I now do it as well…so comfy :).<br>
We also bought DD a North Face rain jacket…best investment of the year!!!
So moral to the story “BE YOU”, wear what you are comfortable in and feel good in. People should like you and be your friend for who “YOU” are not the label on your shirt.</p>

<p>Well, I owe my soul to the company store, so…it’ll be Hanes and Champion all the way, LOL. Those Champion Super Hood hoodies (cheap at the employee store) are 14-oz. fleece. If you layer 'em over a tee and a sweatshirt, you’ll be warm in a blizzard. Plus, they’ve got that cool urban look…</p>

<p>Might spring for a North Face jacket, though. Gotta support the other big apparel company just up the road apiece in Greensboro…</p>

<p>Another nice rain boot make is dav. They make several styles and can frequently be found on Ideeli, Gilt, Hautelook or RueLaLA.</p>

<p>I know it’s been mentioned on an earlier page, but often kids are wearing spirit wear (Bama T or hoodie) or some free T shirt that they received at the MANY occasions that Bama and local retailers are handing them out for free.</p>

<p>Last year, at every football game we went to, some vendor was handing out Tshirts. Younger son used them as “color contrast” undershirts under his other shirts.</p>

<p>And the guys… are they wearing Southern Tide tshirts and polos? What about khakis? Are they above the knee? Flip flops? S very casual but likes his khaki shorts/tshirt/polos and tennis shoes. I assume Abercrombie is history? What about Lacoste? Thanks!!</p>

<p>For those of you looking for rain boots…BrandAlley has a sale on Hunters starting tomorrow am :). Up to 30% off :)</p>

<p>khaki short, t-shirts, polos, and sneaks are perfectly acceptable and is probably what 90% of the males on campus will be wearing. Add a pair of Sperry’s to dress it up a lil when you go out at night and you’ll be set.</p>

<p>For some reason shorter shorts have made a comeback amongst a segment of the greek population. Not quite nut huggers (excuse my language) but not too far off. Hopefully this trend will end soon. But I fear after looking at the Southern Proper website that it might be here for a few more years.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about the brand of polos. I always wear Ralph Lauren because I know they last forever and they have some great sales on their website from time to time. lil bro wouldn’t know a polo pony from an octopus though. Buy whatever brand you like and whatever you can afford.</p>

<p>I would agree about the shorter shorts for guys…DD bought her boyfriend a pair of Southern Proper ones (khaki), he has long legs and well…they remind me of the short basketball shorts of the 70’s. PFG’s are also a little shorter I think. I would also agree about the polos. DD’s boyfriend wears Ralph Lauren for the same reasons NJ does. We will stock pile while at the beach house since there is an outlet nearby. DD and boyfriend also manage to pick up free t-shirts every game day…the collection grows :).</p>