What nursing schools should I look into?

<p>I would like direct entry for a bachelors program and for it to be the best school I can get into given my scores (which I know aren't top notch). Here are my stats-</p>

<p>1830 SAT
3.7 GPA
2 honors classes
2 AP classes
Girl scout for 12 years; earned silver and bronze awards
Athlete- national champ, junior world team, national records.</p>

<p>Here's what I have in mind right now-
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
U of Colorado- Denver</p>

<p>I know nursing programs are more competitive than their regular programs, so regular admissions stats are deceiving. Do you think I could get into these schools? What are some others I should consider looking at?</p>

<p>You can definitely try UCONN, I’m pretty sure you can get in with that SAT score and the GPA as an instate student, but idk if you’re out of state because the admission rates might be different. You can try University Delaware, I’m pretty sure it’s direct admission. Also Stevenson University in MD, you can definitely get in, you have higher stats that me, and I got in their program. Also Temple in PA. You have really good stats, just check out the master list of direct entry programs and see where you fit.</p>

<p>Your GPA is OK for Pitt and PSU, but your SAT scores are about 100 points too low (IMPO). If you are going to apply to these two schools :
1.Apply as early as possible (Aug/Sept) </p>

<p>2.Also apply to some, ‘safeties’. </p>

<p>You might also consider Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. It is a good direct entry program that you should be able to get accepted. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I think U. Del would be a tough reach. There is another recent post about the difficulties of getting admitted to U Del’s nursing program.</p>

<p>Yes, add some safeties, particularly if you want some merit aid.</p>

<p>What state do you live in? I wouldn’t pay out of state tuition for Temple’s nursing program. </p>

<p>If you are from PA, I’d also look at Bloomsburg, West Chester, Indiana U of PA, De Sales, U. of Scranton, York College of PA, Misericordia, etc.</p>

<p>In California two public schools that have direct entry BSN programs are UCLA and UCI. They’re pretty selective though, just like any other direct entry nursing program. Good luck!</p>

<p>As @aglages says, I should apply as early as possible, but I intend to get my SAT scores higher in October (the first testing date of the season). Would it even be worth it to apply to Pitt in August/September with my current 1830 score? Or should I risk waiting until October to apply, but likely have a higher SAT score?</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for the suggestions! This quest is so overwhelming. haha</p>

<p>l8rg8r:I would still apply early to Pitt and then send your updated SAT scores after you retake the SAT test. You might also consider taking the ACT test…some people do better on that than the SAT. JMPO…</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>Hi! You sound like a great student :slight_smile: I’m applying for nursing school right now too, as a senior, and I’m having trouble looking for the rights ones as well.
What I’m most worried about is actually getting into nursing school–my closest school, Ohio State University, is ranked OK (32), but admission is surprisingly competitive. To be guaranteed admission to nursing school, a 33-35 ACT/5% Ranking is required =.= if i do get into OSU, i would have to enter pre-nursing, and then reapply for nursing school sophomore year, which leaves a chance of not getting in…
There are a few schools i’ve looked at that have lower expectations (University of Va, U of Michigan), but I’m worried the financial aid will not be sufficient. After all, our family is not an unlimited bank.
How are you applications going along? what other schools are you thinking of?</p>

<p>UVa and Mich are easier to get into than the direct entry nursing program at tOSU? Wow! If you want to stay in Ohio then you should seriously consider Case Western. Direct entry, reasonable acceptance chances and decent financial aid. Plus it has a great nursing program with 1600 clinical hours beginning during the freshman year. Just a suggestion…</p>

<p>Great suggestion, aglages. I have already included Case in my application. However, my friend who is a year earlier than me applied last year for a biology major, and she got half tuition. sounds great, but it is still mighty expensive!</p>

<p>UVa is extremely competitive, particularly for out of state students. However, once you are admitted, they will make it affordable for any US student. They meet 100% of documented need. UNC-CH and UVa are the only 2 public universities that meet this standard for their out of state students. </p>

<p>I understand U. Michigan has some aid for low income out of state students, and some merit aid for top top students, but not much aid for other out of state students. U. Michigan and UVa have some of the most expensive list prices for out of state students.</p>

<p>thank you for the important information! I really appreciate it, charlieschm.
do you have any schools that may be more generous in giving financial aid and has direct entry?</p>

<p>I mainly looked at programs in Pennsylvania. Many of the private colleges offer 50% off of tuition merit scholarships if a student is towards the top of their applicant pool for their overall student body. That is another reason why it is valuable to apply to some private colleges that are safety schools - they typically end up being cheaper.</p>

<p>Penn State has the Scheyers Honors College, which is very competitive, and that provides merit scholarships to everyone who is accepted, in addition to other benefits. I think it is about $4,000 a year. They also have recently added some other merit awards of a couple thousand a year. Most Penn State students should assume they are paying sticker price, which rises to $21K a year for in-state tuition for the last 2 years for nursing.</p>

<p>Pitt has a number of merit awards that seem to mainly go to people who apply early, and that seem to be weighted to favor out of state students. </p>

<p>Indiana U. of PA. also has an honors college and some merit scholarships. </p>

<p>West Chester U. of PA. has a few merit scholarships.</p>

<p>UVa’s merit scholarships are very limited in number and almost impossible to get.</p>

<p>I will check out Pitt. From their website, nursing school is the most expensive, but if it gives (somewhat generous) financial aid, I would definitely consider going. Thanks again.</p>

<p>Neither Pit nor PSU is known for it’s “generous” FA…especially for in-state students. If you first determine (check their web sites for requirements) whether you qualify for the Honors Program at either school, then you’ll get a better idea of whether you’ll receive ANY grants or scholarships. Basically, unless you are a URM or qualify for their Honors Programs, you are unlikely to receive any money (other than loans).</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>You have a good point, aglages. Honors requirements for U Pitt has high expectations, ones that I honestly will say I cannot meet. Thank you for reminding me to check.</p>

<p>At Pitt, only a subset of people admitted to the Honors program receive merit aid. At Penn State, everyone does, but it is a limited amount. If I remember correctly, Penn State’s materials said many of their honors programs students receive additional awards in later years, such as for overseas study. However, it is hard for a nursing student to do overseas studies during the academic year.</p>

<p>Some honors programs require students to take more intense classes or to complete an additional project. Other colleges simply offer more options if you are in the honors programs. Honors programs are particularly useful to offer smaller classes at huge public universities that typically have huge class sizes.</p>