What qualities/aspects do YOU think are worth paying for at college?

What I plan to pay for when my D25 gets to the point of college is for her to transition to her adult life with as many options as possible before her. We have a limited budget but one that can pay for in state NJ publics which is about the same price as many privates after aid/merit. I was always very independent and could figure out adulting on my own, with the same set of life circumstances my sister didn’t figure it out and struggles to this day. My D will need more hand holding than I did and she’s privileged enough that her parents will pay for it. I want great advising by people who make the effort to know my daughter, classes that engage her and expand her mind, dorms with students who stay at school over the weekend so she can socialize, and in an area outside of her hometown. Sounds generic but this is the minimum I’m asking for.

4 Likes

I would have paid more for smaller classes at an academically selective school for s20 if it had been an option. Unfortunately that model doesn’t exist here in Canada.

1 Like

Great academics for major
Ability to get desired classes
Airport nearby
Safe
Diverse student population
Small classes
On campus housing for at least 2 years
Multiple Travel abroad options
Professors teaching vs TA’s
Internships (including DC semesters)
Solid career and advising offices
High Graduation rate
Great library/study areas
Co-Ed
Not cutthroat
Moderate (to Liberal)

Bonuses:
no car needed
no Greek life or emphasis on sports
decent food options
local bookstores and art, museums
moderate weather
Great location (city)

4 Likes

Of course, then you have to define “fit” for your student.

Since a genuine cross-section of the country includes those who are not interested in attending college, your ideal college cannot exist, since those not interested in attending college will not be present.

1 Like

Excellent practical suggestions! Will mention this to my soon-to-be applicants (aka DDs).

Oh wow, it does sound like you had a particularly bad dorm experience. Sounds like a legit vomitorium! No wonder you have an aversion to dorms (and of course it IS pretty universally true that dorms seem inappropriately overpriced for families stuck paying full price).

Thankfully, I don’t think that your description of such extreme and consistent bad behavior is typical (can of course happen). Certainly not what I, my spouse, and kids experienced. While I did very occasionally witness someone who experimented and drank too much and got sick (although I never noticed a pattern of that being students of a certain race or SES the way you highlighted), it was rare. I think people usually made it to the bathroom or at least a wastebasket, they cleaned up, and so our dorms didn’t smell of vomit.

One thing I think is true/tricky is that students do have varying schedules with night owls and early birds (whether due to natural preferences or due to obligations like sports practices or class schedules, etc), so if you are an early bird type or even just an introvert who prefers quiet, the nighttime sociability can be a real negative (but a wonderful thing to those craving long soul-baring discussions).

But a lot of what you describe (not having choice of roommate, for example) is limited to freshman dorms. Also at a large portion of schools, especially from sophomore year on, students end up in suites or apartments, whether on campus or off. Nowadays a lot of schools allow freshmen to choose their own roommate (although personally I think there’s lot to be gained with the assigned roommates), and many schools have substance-free, quiet, or other choices for kids who want them.

Anyway, I hear you, what you described certainly doesn’t sound appealing, but luckily in my experience I am not thinking that represents the typical day-in-the-life of American dorms. But maybe my family is the one that had the atypical experience!!

3 Likes

Actually…our kids defined their fit.

5 Likes

What did they charge you per year after grants? I found their aid to be very slim. As in an EFC of 20k and a cost after help of 65k.

One kid graduated in 2007…we paid $28,000 a year. That school only cost $38,000 at the time. It’s now $70,000 plus.

Other kid graduated in 2010. We paid about $35,000 a year…but that school now costs well over $65,000 a year.

We were in the fortunate position to be able to fund college for our kids.

Which school are you asking about? Santa Clara or BU?