What schools are we missing? Strong Theater and Physics, In Big City, Gives Merit Scholarship, + Decently Prestigious - Unicorn? [4.0 GPA, <$60k]

Tucson is muy bonita and perfect for the Spanish minor. Cooler than Phoenix and really nice. I’d prefer it to Salt Lake but everyone will think differently on that as it’s a matter of opinion.

And some - and it’s their choice - look to avoid Utah. Not saying it’s right but many do (as they do other states for other reasons too).

2 Likes

Delete

1 Like

I know nothing about physics programs but Fordham has a ba acting program that has merit that may stack with academic merit. The acting program is excellent and it is in a large city.

5 Likes

USC for theater. Not sure about physics.

USC offers a half-tuition merit scholarship if an accepted student is a National Merit Finalist. It is probably too late to prep for the PSAT, but encourage your student to take it seriously and make an effort to do their best. If they do well, it will open the door to other merit scholarships as well.

5 Likes

For UC need-based FA, the student can only count on Federal aid if eligible. At the discretion of the UC campus, University grants may be available to OOS students but not something that is a given.

UC Regents merit scholarships are open to all applicants but highly competitive and the amounts are listed below:

• UC Berkley $2,500
  • UC Davis $7,500
  • UC Irvine $5,000
  • UCLA $2,000
  • UC Merced $7,000
  • UC Riverside $10,000
  • UC San Diego $2,000
  • UC Santa Barbara $5,000
  • UC Santa Cruz $5,000

The Regents scholarships have a need-based component and depending upon the campus may include the University grants mentioned above and the dollar amounts can vary.

There are some specific OOS Merit scholarships for top students in the amount of around $13K/year at UC Davis, UCI and UCR. UCSC has some merit scholarships in the range of $3K-10K/year.

In General, an OOS applicant should expect to pay full fees at $74K/year to attend any of the UC’s.

6 Likes

USC has a highly competitive audition-only musical theater program. I haven’t done the research, but my guess that that opportunities for non-theater majors are slim to none. If someone knows differently, I’m happy to be corrected, but my sense for most schools that have audition-only musical theater programs is that those who aren’t in the programs can’t meaningfully participate.

1 Like

Musical theater, but the quality of the physics program is more important.

2 Likes

Yes to all this. Although she is extremely strong in musical theater, and likely would have a very good shot at competitive audition-based programs, her academic focus is in physics. She wants to be able to keep a foot in the musical theater world, but physics will likely be her main focus, so we don’t want it to be a second thought for the school.

1 Like

There are solid physics schools all over. I mentioned Arizona because it’s tops, it’s an easy in and it’s cheap.

You have UMN - also good - and there’s so many strong one. Ohio State, CU, UMASS, Delaware, Iowa State, Purdue - these all are under $60k.

And you can find others - from LACs to mid to you name it.

Is the interest toward Astro or regular or even engineering or unsure ?

1 Like

regular or nuclear

1 Like

Arizona would be better for physics than almost all the schools you listed and would be within your price range
Research universities rather than LACs would be better for undergrad opportunities.

7 Likes

The list will get too big but maybe Stony Brook and UTK could be worth a look for nuclear. UTK has Oak Ridge nearby.

But AZ still the best (to me) factoring in strength in both majors and cost.

https://w3.physics.arizona.edu/research/nuclear-physics

3 Likes

The key question is if large publics with BFAs will allow non-BFA students to take advanced classes and audition for performances. You may find that impossible at either Utah or Arizona.

The only way around that may be to audition for the BFA, and decide later if you want to complete the BFA degree or switch to a physics BS (or try to fit in both degrees).

1 Like

yes. Lawrence (and other small schools) may have an upper hand in that regard, since they allow broader student involvement.

Yes, I have done that. All schools in our current list give at least some merit, some a decent-sized chunk.

I don’t know if DePaul is sufficiently prestigious, or if it meets all the other criteria. But I thought of it because a friend’s kid studied physics and loved it there. I didn’t see it mentioned here yet.

3 Likes

Looks like they have both theater and physics - but Theater is at Lincoln Center Campus and Physics is at Rose Hill. I imagine that makes trying to do both very very hard. Bummer. She would LOVE to be in NYC, though.

1 Like

Adding another level of complexity - She would prefer, especially after first year, to live OFF campus. She likes the idea of living in a city and going to school there, rather than living at a school that happens to be in a city. Is that a realistic option at many of the schools on our list? Which schools on our list is that a realistic option.

1 Like

Yes - for sure at some.

UCSD Yes

UW - yes

Davidson - is suburban and has a 4 year on campus requirement. From their website:

Mac - All first-year and sophomore students are required to live on-campus.

UIUC - is not big city

UNC - is not big city but there’s a lot there.

Lehigh - At Lehigh, all first- and second-year students must live in on-campus housing . - and not really a city.

Clark - Students are required to live on campus for their first four (4) semesters

I didn’t check all schools but you should. If she wants city living, for example, why would Oberlin or Cal Poly be on there (suburban). And there are other schools I’d say the same - and did above.

Minnesota yes. U of Arizona as I noted - yes. And has a street car from the university to nearby downtown and has many residential neighborhoods nearby.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Then I am not sure how you have UC and Rochester on your list. Where on the website of UC states that there is 30K merit for OOS? Rochester promises a lot and delivers a little. I do not know anybody with scholarship over 20K…

4 Likes