What schools did your s/d choose UM over?

<p>I don't know what to say here, but why UM, what made it stand out amongst the other colleges, and why did you choose it and not X school?</p>

<p>My son chose UM over all his other schools for the program. UM has one of the top marine science programs in the country. When he started looking at schools he threw out the prestige ratings. He knew exactly what his requirements where. No cold weather, a good to great marine science program, close proximity to the ocean (within 1/2 hour drive), and the ability to get merit aid. UM was his top choice, and technically a "match to safety" school so he didn't "reach" at all. </p>

<p>These were his schools:</p>

<p>*University of San Diego - Best financial aid package came from them, but transportation was going to be an issue.
*University of Illinois - Excellent school, but the only reason he applied here to begin with was it was our state university. Got accepted into their pre-med program, but they had no marine science major. Also...their financial aid package was horrendous.<br>
*University of Tampa - just happened to visit during one of those visit today, know if your accepted today deals. He got accepted and won an honors scholarship but didn't care at all for it.<br>
*University of North Carolina/Wilmington -- Again, excellent school for marine science. Loved it but the financial aid package was horrible.
*Florida Gulf Coast University (Ft. Myers, FL) -- He actually liked everything about this little regional university. It's a part of the University of Florida system, but felt their marine science program wasn't quite up to par.
*Eckered College -- Again...he loved this little LAC in St. Pete. Very good marine science program and he won one of the top scholarships. This one was very hard to turn down for him, as they had forged a great relationship with him. A lot more personal than UM. But he felt that if he changed majors that UM would have more to choose from.
As it turned out...he was correct. He's changed majors and is very very happy.</p>

<p>in orderish
tulane (meh) <- was somewhat depressing... not as nice of a campis..
nyu <- no merit, in city very night though
boston college <- not sure why
rpi <- 60-70% guys id guess
purdue <-very nice, would have chosen it or madison if i had not gotten tulane/miami (I know i would have liked them)
madison
michigan
minnesota
arizona </p>

<p>everyones happy, good weather, decent school pride, merit aid, weather... most potential... weather...</p>

<p>BU, Univ. of Richmond, Univ of Michigan, Johns Hopkins, some other. Although I do regret making the mistake of not applying to NYU.</p>

<p>S chose Miami over:</p>

<p>Tulane
Indiana University
U of Washington
U of Oregon</p>

<p>He has had no regrets at all.</p>

<p>i applied ed but still I also applied to</p>

<p>Tulane
Arizona
Purdue
UT-Austin</p>

<p>no regrets at all</p>