What Science 1st Semester if Undecided Major

<p>My son will be a freshman this fall - currently he is undecided on major - leaning toward something science related - environmental, astronomy/physics, maybe engineering. He is currently scheduled for Math 125, Chem 101, Engr 111 (just to explore) and a UH 155 and CJ 100 (because that is also interesting to him) class. He AP’d out of english requirements and will do Outdoor Action next month. He thought Chem 101 would be the best science to take first semester because it seems like it is a prerequiste for more majors than Biology - although he would rather take Honors Bio… Should he stick with Chem 101? Is Honors Bio I even offered 2nd semester if he waits or is that only a 1st semester offering? We only see Bio 114/115 offered in the spring in past semesters. Thoughts?</p>

<p>If he’s leaning towards a science/STEM major, then he probably should take Gen Chem. That’s req’d by most/all STEM majors.</p>

<p>It’s not unusual for the Honors X I to be offered in Fall, and Honors X II to be offered in Spring.</p>

<p>Actually, if you look up classes from Spring 2012, Honors Chem IS offered in both Spring and Fall, whereas Honors Bio I is only offered in Fall (and Honors Bio II only offered Spring). Sooooo, why not take Honors Bio I this Fall and Honors Chem in Spring? Of course non-honors are taught both semesters. It is just the HONORS designation that you have to be mindful of.</p>

<p>My son is in the same boat. He is taking Chem 101. He already has 8 hours of Biology credit. If he ultimately decides to major in English or something like that, I guess he will have wasted those hours.</p>

<p>Oh, and another thing. The books + manuals for Chem 101 are totaling ~$350 right now from my research, so if that influences your decision, so be it. I’m trying to get son some used materials, but there are workbooks and online codes and such…I’m inclined to just get the ‘new’ bundle and be done with it. Still, a VERY pricey class to be taking if you don’t really like/need it.</p>

<p>For classes with codes, software, & workbooks, I’ve found that it is indeed a better idea to purchase the new bundle from the bookstore.</p>

<p>If he is doing looking to do a science related major…chem 101 would be the best option, because like you said, it is mostly required for many science majors.</p>