What should I do? Gap year or no?

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I' a senior in HS and like most of you I'm applying to college. I've applied to Emory& Georgetown but I doubt I'll get into the former because of my scores(January SAT was too late.) I feel pretty confident about my scores for Georgetown though(1400+ CR+M.) Now, I've been debatig whether or not to take a gap year. This whole app process has been awful for me. I took the ACT x2 but I did poorly and found out too late I was way better at taking the SAT. Should I postpone college for a year to retake my SAT for a 2250+ and work on my ECS, Volunteering, etc., or should I just go to college. I feel like I didn't really get a fair shot at applying to top schools. I'm not blaming anyone, but I think my stats are where they should be; I'm just out of time. </p>

<p>As of right now, my GPA is a ~3.4 and I’m the top 30%. I’ve had an upward trend and I plan on keeping above a 3.75+ this year. </p>

<p>Postponing college just to retake an exam is nonsense. Are those the only schools you applied to?</p>

<p>Why didn’t you get a fair chance? Why must you apply to top schools? With your GPA, you should be realistic about your options and choose the best institution for you. It’s not about how highly ranked the school is, and it’s not even about where you end up… but what you do when you get there.</p>

<p>I’m not postponing just to retake the test. I want to postpone to work on my business and my other ECS as well as volunteer work. I didn’t know about the SAT(I knew about it but didn’t think it was accessible to me) so I spent the 2 months studying for the ACT to only get a 2 point increase from my previous 24. I was limited to taking the SAT in December(missed the date cause of car issues) so I couldn’t take the required subject tests either because I had to take the SAT in Jan(yesterday.) Basically, my SAT score could be higher, I could study for subject tests, and work more on my app. </p>

<p>I’m not trying to be mean nor funny but it’s college, not medical school. Have you thought about community college? You can always transfer to top tier schools. You should really think about this. In my opinion, I think it’s best to just go straight to college because I tend to lose interest in things I postpone. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide to do! :-)</p>