What should I do if I failed an AP Test?

This comment is a completely wrong assessment of AP testing and is sending the wrong impression to the OP. The fact that they even took and passed an AP class in high school says they are ready for the next level. All the AP Tests do are identify whether a student actually has a strong enough grasp of the subject enough to not have to retake that class in college (ie have the class count for college credit). And even though they are supposed to be taught the same way at the same level across the country, we all know that they are not. My son is going into CS and Math at top college … he also has gotten 2s on 2/9 tests that he took (one junior year and one senior year), but he is definitely ready for college. All the two 2s tell me is he wasn’t prepared or didn’t really care about the getting credit in that subject. He got a 5 on AP Calc, 4 on AP CompSci, 4 on US Gov this year… I think he is good to start college and will do so knowing what subjects he is stronger in and where he might need to work a little harder.

4 Likes

40 weeks, 5 days a week, one hour a class. 200 hours. You get a different number? Please do explain…

Yes. Public schools are typically 180 days, so 36 weeks, if every week were 5 days. Private schools are typically fewer days. But, and this is a big but, AP exams begin the first week of May, so you’re really talking 30 weeks of instruction, at most, before the AP exam.

Classes are typically 40-45 minutes. When longer, they typically meet fewer than 5 days per week

But really, that should not have been your takeaway from my post; my main point is that your judgement on the kid was way too harsh, particularly based on limited information provided…

8 Likes

Schools are more interested in your grade for the course than your score on the test.

5 Likes

What the colleges really want to know is how well you do on the material that you are taught in your classes. Not doing well on an AP test means that either you had a brain fart or that the material that the teacher taught in class did not conform to the AP syllabus. Neither reflects badly on your ability to do well in class at the university.

As other have said, the AP scores are mostly used for placement or to demonstrate that you do not need to take that class in college. All that these scores indicate is that, if the courses are requirements for your major, you will have to take these classes again in college. If the classes are not required, then they mean nothing.

As others have said, don’t worry, move on.

2 Likes

I think the other point is the one on which you should focus. On the sum total of two AP exam scores, and nothing else, you conclude a student with which you’re not familiar isn’t ready for college work, and then told them so.

3 Likes

I got an -A and A and A in Physics C (I messed up the first test)
I got an -A and A and -A in APUSH (the first test was rough, and the final exam was also very rough)

What about a student that gets all 5s on their AP tests, except a 3 in a subject that is crucial to their major? How should students approach that?

By moving on.

5 Likes

Worry about your grades. Not your test score.

If you’re worried about missing credit, many are wise to repeat the class in college anyway.

1 Like

Ha! Yes, agreed.

I was thinking more of the college app. So you have a handful of AP 5s, then one 3, in an essential subject. But your grades in the same subject are predominantly As.

Do you address that 3 in somewhere in the college application? If so, where? What if the student felt there were some extenuating circumstances that helped lead to that 3 (of their own doing, and of circumstance)?

Just trying to figure out how much a student needs to say in their application, versus what they don’t necessarily have to put a spotlight on.

If a 3 is credited or used to waive a requirement, then report. If not don’t.

They’re not looking that close.

They needn’t say anything.

If you have concerns that not sending a 3 means they’ll think you have a 1-2, then share.

Either way I can’t imagine it impacting an admission decision. Placement of course credit - yes. But that’s later.

1 Like

No. AP scores are self reported on the application. Just don’t report the 3. Don’t overcomplicate things.

I’d save any of explanation of extenuating circumstances on grades, if needed, not on a 3 hour test.

7 Likes

I agree with @skieurope. Don’t report the 3 on the application, even if you can later use it for credit at that school. The more selective the school, the closer the AOs will look.

APs are intended for placement, not admission. AOs will happily use if you give them to them, but they aren’t required.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. So the OP, or any student, reserves the right to put their best foot forward and list only the 4-5 AP test scores on their application. (Chalking up lower scores as experience, and potentially a sign to take some of the personally relevant coursework again in college.)

Where exactly on applications are solid AP scores listed? Does it vary between some schools? (Haven’t actually looked in detail at any school application forms, yet.)

On the common app, it’s under testing

3 Likes

Excellent. Thank you.

I never submitted AP scores (even though I passed all of them) but I was still able to get into a good university and had many other good options. I don’t think AP scores are considered when making admission decisions and even if they are considered, it probably doesn’t weigh much.

1 Like

Same. My daughter got a 2 on the AP physics exam in high school. She got a B in the class. She just finished her freshman year at university with a 4.0 with challenging coursework including coding and calculus.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.