What should I do? Please advice

<p>I am Kaushik, an international student from Ghana.
I have a couple of options available to me as I wait on a waitlist at the Washington University in Stl.</p>

<p>In future, I plan on working in the field of robotics. Hence I am interested in engineering majors such as Mechanical, Electrical and Computer engineering.</p>

<p>These are the options available to me with the approximate cost of attendance. What do you reckon would be a good place for me to prepare rigorously for a master's degree at a prestigious institution such as Stanford? </p>

<p>Purdue University (with Honors Program) - 44k per year
UofI Urbana Champaign (with Honors Program) - 48k per year
McGill University (Canada) - 40k per year
Univ of Minnesota Twin Cities (with Honors Program) - 30k per year
Worcester Polytechnic Institute with Presidential Scholarship - 25k per year
Illinois Institute of Technology with International Scholarship - 28k per year</p>

<p>My parents would be confortable paying for the bottom 3, while they may have to stress their finances for Purdue and UIUC.</p>

<p>clearly, uiuc is best of the lot, then purdue. both will give you good grad school opportunities at 3.8+ gpa level.</p>

<p>i can see wpi/iit being great, especially given the cost. if you did well - near 4.0 gpa - you will have good grad school opportunity, including at Stanford.</p>

<p>iit is in chicago, which can offer some advantages with internship etc.</p>

<p>if you’re confident that you will do extremely well, i say pick iit or wpi.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I have a follow up question though… I understand that WPI and IIT have a reputation that is smaller than those of UIUC and WashU. Does that mean that I will have to work harder if i picked smaller institutions such as WPI/IIT over Purdue/UIUC in order to have a good shot at a Stanford/Yale graduate admission? also, how does WPI compare with IIT for mechanical/electrical engineering?</p>