What Should I Do?

Hi I recently got accepted to UC Irvine with a Computer Science major and UC San Diego with my alternate major, Cognitive Science. I was wondering whether I should go to UC San Diego and try to change to a Computer Science major or just go UC Irvine and save time and effort for other productive activities.

Switching to CS at UCSD will require that you get a very high GPA in the pre-req courses and you are given only 2 tries to be accepted. I personally would go for the direct admit at UCI. Both schools are excellent for CS and will pretty much the same job/internship opportunities.

For UCSD:
I was not admitted into one of the CSE Impacted/Capped Majors and am currently Undeclared or other major. If I hope to change into a CSE major in a future quarter, what should I do prior to applying?

Enroll in the CSE courses that are required to meet eligibility requirements for applying to the major (see below).
These courses also fulfill requirements for the major, which means you will be making progress toward the degree by taking them.

Talk with your undergraduate college adviser to determine which General Education courses to take.

Minimum of eight units of courses completed at UC San Diego for a letter grade, drawn from the following courses: CSE 8B or CSE 11, CSE 12, CSE 15L, CSE 20 (or Math 15A), CSE 21, CSE 30, and CSE 100.
All of the following courses (or their accepted equivalent) must have been completed prior to application: CSE 8B or 11, CSE 12, CSE 15L, and CSE 20 (or Math 15A). If taken at UC San Diego, courses must be completed with a letter grade (see #1).

Thank you for your informative comment. Do you think it will be better to use my time during the first year to look for internships in UC Irvine rather than trying to change to Computer Science in UC San Diego? My peers tell me that UC San Diego has a better Computer Science program, so I was wondering if it was really worth the time. Also, if I got selected for the Campuswide Honors program in Irvine, do you think it will be more the reason why I should go to UC Irvine?

Yes, CHP is a great opportunity with all the added benefits: Priority enrollment, academic advising, research/internship opportunities. UCSD’s program may be ranked higher, but most employers do not care where you went to school, but what you can do for them. Where you go for undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with the opportunities your are given.

Thank you so much. You have been very enlightening.