What specs do I look for when shopping for a laptop?

I just submitted my Spring 2016 transfer application for Petroleum Engineering. I am looking for a laptop that can download and run all the programs of PetE without hurting my wallet too much.

And preferably a laptop that can last longer than my 4 years in college.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/devices/2015-2016

To satisfy the BYOD requirement for the Dwight Look College of Engineering, the device must be one of the three systems noted above. The cost of each system includes a 4-year maintenance agreement to accommodate the computer needs throughout the four-year degree plan. If you desire to purchase a shorter maintenance agreement, we assume that you accept the risk of problems with your system after the maintenance agreement ends.

I know that website, but in general, what specs are required for a fully functional laptop that can download and run all the programs of PetE, and that can last longer than my 4 years in college?

From what I understand there’s not very many special programs or anything like that in engineering, but you still want a nice powerful laptop. You look at these main points:
GHz - upwards of 2 is good, 3+ is fantastic, it’s the processor speed(ex. 2.6GHz), these “1.1GHz turboboost to xx” aren’t very powerful for performing basic tasks, 1.3GHz is also pretty slow
RAM - many say 8GB is necessary, you can get by with 4 but 8 is better
Storage - how important is this to you? You can get an external for $50 with 1TB(1000GB) of storage, but 250 is plenty.
Many laptops use processors such as i3 i5 i7 or Intel M, the bigger the processor, (i3 is small i7 is large), the more powerful but also much more demanding on battery life. The i5 or Intel M are a good middle ground.

I’m using my Surface Pro 3, the specs are decent and it hasn’t acted up. It’s the i3, but if I had to choose again I’d go with the i5 not because of the storage but because of the processor size

I’m not going to go into detail with a million different processors and graphics cards etc, typically looking at those specs you’ll be fine. As long as the build isn’t complete crap.

Wait, so was I required to buy off the list? I got a macbook pro but I would of much rather have a surface pro 3, would of been alot cheaper too. Well, I have windows installed on it so I can run windows programs if I have too.

I definitely interpret that website to say you must buy one of those three. When in doubt, call.