What to do if you signed up for the last Bama Bound?

<p>I’m going to be a freshman at UA this fall, majoring in mechanical engineering. I live pretty far from Tuscaloosa, so my parents made me sign up for the last Bama Bound session to save them a 5-6 hour trip. Now, I’m worried that I might not get the classes I want. Are classes pretty much full by the last Bama Bound?(August 19th)</p>

<p>I’m also worried about getting all my textbooks and stuff by the time classes start. Are all the textbooks available in the campus store, or do you have to order some yourself?</p>

<p>What I’m worried about the most is my student bill. It’s showing: "Currently, you are not registered for Fall 2011. " My dorm bill, meal plan, football tickets, and orientation fees show up, as well as the deposits I paid, but tuition and my presidential and engineering scholarships aren’t showing. On the receivables website, it says that all bills have to be paid by August 5th, however, won’t there be additional course fees and stuff after I pick my classes? Should I pay now, or can I pay after Bama Bound? I’m pretty sure everything will work itself out, and this is normal for people who signed up for the last Bama Bound, but I’m still kinda worried.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help. I’m so stressed out right now. I really should have picked an earlier Bama Bound date.</p>

<p>Pay now and anything added afterward will be billed to you in September for payment in early October. But call and ask why your scholarship isn’t showing up. Mom2ck and a few others can probably help you more there. </p>

<p>They hold back a few class spots in most of the classes for each Bama Bound. You might not get ideal times but you’ll get the classes you need. And you can always ask the prof for an override if there is something you really want/need or something at a better time than what’s available. In my dealings so far the profs have been most generous in awarding overrides.</p>

<p>All books required are available through the Supe Store. From time to time they may sell out of a certain book and be out of stock for a few days but they will always order more. The problem is you might have to buy new if they are sold out of the used books.</p>

<p>I called Student Receivables yesterday and was told the Presidential Scholarship won’t show up in the account until after you have registered for classes. Same thing with my daughter’s account - meal plan and dorm show up but nothing else. We are signed up for the last BB session as well and my daughter is worried about her classes. Coming all the way from Oregon just didn’t seem practical twice. I’m hoping for the best with class selection.</p>

<p>We’re in the same boat, and it makes me nervous too! Scholarship dollars, and “not currently registered” is the same for us.</p>

<p>to ad insult to injury AP classes still aren’t showing up and I sent them on July1, so I am thinking maybe I should call. Are either of the other late attenders doing AA or OA?</p>

<p>I know everything will be fine, but I am a planner at heart, and I hate to be caught unprepared.</p>

<p>My daughter is not signed up for AA or OA. She decided too late she was interested and a nonrefundable trip was already planned - so she can’t get there that early. But both of them sound really fun. Daughter’s AP classes are all there - had to call CollegeBoard to have them send Junior year scores but they finally all showed up. You probably should call because I would think they should be in there by now.</p>

<p>Welcome!!</p>

<p>Please post in our Roll Call thread! </p>

<p>As a Frosh engineering student, you’ll certainly be allowed into whatever Frosh programs you’re supposed to take Fall Semester. </p>

<p>Some seats are being added each BB. </p>

<p>Make a grid so that you can pencil in some course choices. Include some options.</p>

<p>What APs are you coming in with?</p>

<p>Hi there, we attended BB with my S last month and asked about timing of book purchase. (For the same reason mentioned here that we wanted to ensure he had everything he needed for his first day of classes). They actually recommended that you WAIT and purchase the books the first or second week of classes. They said that quite often the class may list 2 books and then the professor will tell you the first day of class that you only need 1 of them so it’s best to get confirmation of what you need before you buy anything. They said there are no professors who would expect you to have your books the first day. They acknowledged the downside is you don’t have time to hunt for them on Amazon but mentioned that the Superstore carries everything you need and does not mark them up. This was the info from 2 student ambassadors during the Q&A breakout who said they’ve never purchased books ahead of time and then another parent asked it at another session and that guy also agreed that there is no expectation to have the books until after the 2nd week of class. Given that, we decided we’d just hold off to be sure he knows the right books before he buys them. If anyone has heard anything different would love to hear more on this.</p>

<p>Also I asked if the professors tend to require a certain type of notebook (as in HS they seem to get very specific on which type for each class) but they said there are no requirements on notebooks, anything goes. FYI.</p>

<p>BTW, we left BB even more thrilled with the school, the campus, the people, the breakout session for his major etc. It’s a great feeling to walk away with the decision to attend UA validated at every point. </p>

<p>One really random suggestion for you to bring to BB if you are staying in the dorms (small issue but it will matter at 3am when you can’t sleep :slight_smile: Bring a mattress pad or some extra towels or blanket with you to use as a mattress pad. They give you very thin sheets and and 1 blanket and it’s a hard plastic mattress so you’ll definitely want to put something under the sheet to cushion it. BTW the dorms were fine so no worries about them but I figured I’d mention as a couple of extra towels could help you sleep much better. Also I’ve since added “egg crate mattress pad” to the list of things to get for him :-)</p>

<p>Have fun at BB – it was a great experience.</p>

<p>The Supestore is reasonably priced for textbook purchases, but there have been times when they were twice the price of online sellers. I was actually able to make money selling a textbook to the Supestore that I had bought online. </p>

<p>The tip to wait until the first day of classes before buying textbooks is good advice for some classes and questionable for others (especially math courses) where homework from the textbook is assigned the first day. Amazon has free 2-Day shipping with a student membership, so it is still an option, as are the international editions of textbooks that have 2-3 day UPS shipping.</p>

<p>I apologize for the confusion regarding schedule confirmation for those attending the last Bama Bound. For future years, I’m wondering if UA would consider allowing those who are attending the final Bama Bound session (likely OOS students who can’t travel for a 1.5 day info session in the middle of the expensive summer travel season) could register for classes at home in late July. It would save a lot of worrying on the families’ parts and doesn’t give those students any unfair advantages or disadvantages when it comes to registering for classes.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Yeah, I think UA should offer an online orientation session for out of area students. Just require them to watch a video presentation and set up an advising chat room. Allow them to register for classes after the online session is completed.</p>

<p>Then require a followup mini on campus session a few days before classes start where they can ask any questions and meet with an advisor to make sure everything checks out ok.</p>

<p>I completely agree about allowing the OOS students to register on-line. My daughter has her class schedule all lined up and it is killing her not to be able to register… I know she could do it on her own - she actually has all 4 years already mapped out. But we wait. I told her to just roll with the punches this one time and hope for the best.</p>