What to do when your predicted grades are low

I’m taking the final IB exam in May. Unfortunately, a new administrator joined my school this semester, and he’s made sure everyone’s grades get dramatically deflated. (They were always a little deflated, but this year the change has been dramatic).

Point being I’m sure my IB score will be much higher than my predicted grade. What’s one to do in this situation? Apply to colleges now, hoping one gets in with low predicted scores, or (as most of my peers are doing), apply next year after the actual IB grades come out? Again, this is assuming colleges don’t know that your HS deflates grades/ thinks they don’t deflate much.

Thoughts?

As you are international, that context probably matters. Is your prediction in lieu of a GPA? What was the prediction?

@Alfonsia : Yes it’s in lieu of a GPA. I don’t wish to share my precise prediction on this forum, but you can assume high 30s out of 45.

Also - (sorry for the double post, don’t know how to edit) - compared to other high schools in my country, my HS deflates a lot. (Everyone else inflates like crazy).

Honestly, it depends on where you’re applying. If you’re applying to a place that requires a certain amount of IB points to gain a conditional offer (i.e. the UK/ Europe) you might want to wait until after your results are out.

If you are planning on applying to the US, it will be more dependent on the type of universities you’re looking at. If you’re looking at selective schools, the high 30s is a really good mark and you could apply this year if you wanted to, assuming you can get all testing, essays, etc. done in time. If you’re looking at lottery schools, the high 30s is still good, but you’d need to have at least a 6 average in your classes in your predicteds or your actual results. Keep in mind that most US universities do not take into account the TOK/EE extra points.

Also, have you thought about asking your counselor to mention how much your school deflates grades in the school report or their letter of recommendation? That might help your applications to US universities.