What to list religion courses as in the application?

<p>I go to a Catholic high school, and am required to take one religion class (which changes every semester, actually; like I would have Christian Scripture first semester and Hebrew Script second semester), and I’m not sure what I should list them as on the application. Do they count as electives? Do they count as “a-g” courses beyond the minimum?</p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated; I know I should go to my college counselor but I’d like to hear from you guys as well.</p>

<p>After doing a Google search it seems that most colleges don’t even consider them; would not calculating them in my UC GPA make it lower than it was if I did? (If I got As in all those courses) If they aren’t counted… I feel kind of cheated that students from other schools have been able to take more courses and have a advantage over those required to take religion.</p>

<p>They are not A-G in California; not electives unless “World religions” at my kids school. Maybe an EC or “non A-G” on the UC App. Not sure if “cheated” is the best frame of mind. I imagine some parents choose schools for something other than entry into a UC.</p>

<p>Would I have a higher UC GPA if the religion course was just replaced with a random elective that falls under a-g? I thought my UC GPA was a 4.3 (I have a 4.0 UW), but with the religion courses not counted, my weighted GPA would probably be lower (if my calculations are correct, I kinda hope they’re not.)</p>

<p>It would depend on your grades in religion classes. I can tell you my kids have gotten almost straight A’s in religion classes for the last 12 years, with little effort compared to most of their A-G classes. OTOH, in retrospect, it is too bad that we didn’t realize they could have chosen electives that count, at another school.</p>

<p>And a 4.0 unweighted is wonderful, no matter what. I don’t see how it’s less without religion. That means all A’s, right? My D had about that( I think her only B was in religion!), and she ended up doing pretty well in admissions.</p>

<p>Thanks for your help; I just hope it doesn’t affect my GPA too much… I’d like every fraction of a point I can get, haha. It saddens me that this will probably affect me when it comes to getting extra points for going beyond the minimum required courses, but there’s really nothing I can about it so I suppose there’s no use in worrying/complaining about it.</p>

<p>There you go! There’s probably some Bible verse that applies here… (LOL)</p>

<p>Quote: Maybe an EC or “non A-G” on the UC App.</p>

<p>Shrinkrap, I don’t think you could list religion as an EC. Is there a “non A-G” section on the UC application that my S missed? Also, where would PE go, if it was a course taken?</p>

<p>“non a-g” goes under the Activities/Extracurriculars tab.</p>