what to think of when making the final decision

Waiting on a few more schools but also narrowing down. Visited 3 so far and the nursing programs all differ and also what they say.

Just want to share a few things we found out and trying to make a decision. I think the ultimate decision will be will more dd is comfortable. She may give up a higher ranked school to do that. But as one faculty member at the nursing open house told me, “its better to go where you are comfortable and then you will be successful”

I know NCLEX is important and only applied at schools that have the high pass rate. We are asking schools more specific info as for as how they prep students for that.

Clinicals seem to be very different from the 3 schools we looked at – 3 different states.
None of them seemed to make a deal about how many hours as I see some people on these forums say more hours at an actual clinic is better. Something I did not know was that the clinical labs at the schools we went to all count toward clinical hours. Also these schools seem to count ‘out in the field’ toward clinical hours. For instance, ‘out in the field’ at some schools in Freshmen/Sophmore year is not at the hospital but doing things like community service. One school they mentioned feeding the hungry (Meals of Wheels) and another school, the freshman I spoke to was tutoring at an elem school. I guess the idea is to get you involved with people and service.

Now some schools, I was under the assumption, actually start clinicals at the hospitals as early as first quarter semester year. That seemed ideal until speaking to some faculty and nurse open house because the students really can’t do anything but watch. Maybe its different at other schools and different states. Their idea was better to be in your sim lab more. AND…of the 3 schools, as the labs were so different and how they are set up, taught, and even the SIM people were basic to highly computerized. One thing I thought was good is to make sure that all the sim labs allow you to go back and further practice your skills if you are not 100% confident.

Most direct admit schools (which dd is focusing on) start some nursing in freshmen yr…even a class called inro to nursing. But one school that was direct admit, did not start any nursing until Junior year.

Internships…I asked one school about this and they said they are hard and rare because HIPPA. IDK if that is state specific or not.

I asked about job placement and one school said 96% placed where another could not give specifics. I also heard that the students often get jobs where they do their clinicals. SO…I asked my dd where she would want to live after graduation and it really was none of these places. Talked to a friend who went to UNC as a BS to RN accelerated program and then got a job in CA. She said it didn’t matter where you go to school or lived later. OR at least it did not matter in her job search.

Also I asked this friend about clinical hours as some say more hours is better and when you start early is better than later. etc. She said the main thing is to have a good GPA and pass the NCLEX. No one will ask about clinical hours while you a student.

Anyway….if there is anyone that would live to add anything to think of in deciding their final decision then please add any suggestions. This board has been most helpful in many things. WE never knew difference between non diect and direct admit and then being able to identify schools with the list provided…… so thanks all

I don’t see the edit button, but also the GPA required varied from school. If you don’t maintain the GPA then you don’t advance.

To me that’s a big red flag when a program can’t give specifics about job placement rate.

I didn’t press it since dd wasn’t interested in the program. But they did say their nurses worked local and were getting jobs out of state. I just didn’t get the %.

My dd eventually wants to get her NP after working a few years. One program said schools favor undergrads that went there but I also see a lot of online programs for MSN. Also there seems to be plenty of schools that don’t have undergrad but masters only. So that really isn’t going to be a factor. Esp since the NP at these schools are family practice and she rather critical care.

Some states have a more severe nursing shortage than others. I imagine California is one of them, because they have so few seats in their nursing schools compared to their population. Also, the high cost of living in the Bay Area and parts of S. Calif. scares many people away.

You might also look into the % of students that get into the program once they get on campus. Getting I into the school is less competitive than when you go to apply for nursing at some schools.

Hi @cali60 at my D school, the clinical hours are the actual time the students spent at the hospital. The lab time in simulation lab or any science lab are separate from the actual clinical time. The students are learning and doing things. My d is spending ( & will be spending ) a tons of clinical hours when she graduate later. I think a good simulation lab is important too. That is just my opinion. Maybe ask some of the current students what they think of their program? There is probably a FB page or request to talk to a couple of their nursing students representative (???).

I wonder why some of the schools would count non-direct patient contact type volunteer as clinical hours.
Do you think maybe those schools have a shortage of nurse instructors/ hospital sites and have to find a way to cut back the time their students are spending at a real hospital setting? but still make the total # of hours look presentatable to prospective students?

The direct admit programs are still very competitive after a student gets in. Lots of reading, homework, & hard work.
Good luck

@angela220 glad you posted that because i always thought it was only time in hospital that was considered as hours then questioned it once I heard different from one school. Mind if I ask, where your dd is going to nursing school? Just when we think we know all the questions to ask and info to gather, I think we do not… so frustrating.

Hi @cali60 I wasn’t sure if my d wanted me to name her school. We are on the east coast. Attends our in- state college. It was a little stressful during the application time because every nursing program is considered a reach & there is just no way to tell. She always said that she has lots of studying to do. And she seems to find time to be with her friends / attend activities / & also keep a part time job off campus. Clinicals are at the university’s own medical center/ & nearby hospitals.
There are also lab fees, clinical fees, uniform & some other fees in addition to the tuition.

I have also heard that some programs are very disorganized in terms of where the students do the rotations. It can be really far away in rush hour traffic or the clinical site will change at the last moment… So ask the current students what they think of it. When you visit the school, ask where they will go. They don’t always do the rotation at the nearby hospital…so dont assume there is a hospital down the street that must be where the students are going. They could be spread out into several hospitals around the area & need transportation.

my d program is very well organized & I dont have to worry about her getting to the clinical.

My d likes her program. It is a lot of work thats for sure. So pick the school that your d likes the best because she will be spending a lot of time not just studying but also meeting other students, attending clubs & activities outside of the nursing program.

Fortunately, my daughter’s clinicals have all been within 5 miles of her college. In any case, she needed a car staring in her 5th semester because she sometimes had to go to the hospital at odd hours, within a tight schedule, to pick up info or talk to a patient. Therefore, public transportation would not have worked. Her college also doesn’t tell them where they will be doing clinicals until the start of the semester, and some of the clinical locations may be further away and require leaving very early in the morning.