What triggers the writing supplement?

“Purdue University does not have a standard writing supplement. A writing supplement may be triggered by answers you provide in your application.” - from the app

Any consensus on what triggers this? (maybe @momofboiler1 knows?)

I’m sorry but I don’t know. Is this a writing supplement for non English speaking students or those that have low English sub scores on SAT/ACT or is this referring to supplements in general? If its supplements in general, if you apply to honors college, you’ll have supplemental essays to write.

1 Like

Thanks. It seems like a general thing, not limited to ESL applicants. From the same page:
“Depending on your answers to some questions, you may be required to complete additional writing questions.”

So…maybe you’re right about the honors college i.e if you answer Yes I want to apply to the honors college, then it triggers the supplement."

If you’re applying to the Honors College, there will be 2 additional prompts to answer in the Common app.

1 Like

Thanks. That seems…different somehow than what the text I quoted seems to be saying. Like, if it’s “If this, then that” then just say that. What I quoted sounds more like some judgement call is being made. But all good thanks!