What UC is the right one for ME?

<p>Gah i hate waiting to know about CAL. :/</p>

<p>Anyone have any other insight on this?</p>

<p>I'm just going to put in a kind word for UCSC.
The people there tend to be fairly open minded, and if you choose to not smoke pot, it won't make you unpopular. There are some parties, but greek life is almost nonexistent.
It's sunshiny most of the year, but you do get some nasty weather in winter because it's so close to the ocean. More cold than rainy, however.
There are lots of mini communities at UCSC, so I'm sure you'd find a place to fit in.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I'd waste my app $$ on Cal, but you should apply from UCLA on down because you never know. Look at the boards. Your should also consider Cal Poly, SDSU etc. Leave your options open because your stats IMO would be hard to predict admissions, but I think you will get in somewhere you like if you flexible.</p>

<p>Alright here's the deal about UCSB. I live in SB and am planning on going there next year and my brother went there and I know many other people who have as well.</p>

<p>The stuck up thing..you're prolly just getting that from the idea that everyone in SB is rich. FALSE! My income is less than $25K. The cost of living in SB is very high, which may lead to "stuck-up-y-ness" but that doesn't apply to everyone...in fact it doesn't apply to most.</p>

<p>And the party/drugs/alcohol thing:
Isla Vista is SEPARATE from UCSB. While it is close by, you must remember that only you can make yourself go there. It's not like it's in the middle of campus. It's a separate town in itself. And EVERY SCHOOL HAS A BIG PARTY SCENE! UCSB's just seems larger because it's all concentrated in IV and IV is very well known for its HUGE Halloween bash. But, if you're not into that stuff-like me-you don't need to worry about it. Just steer clear of IV at night. (and at other schools, you would have to steer clear of certain streets, frats, etc. so it's not just UCSB).</p>

<p>And the SB Bowl is close-by. KJEE is a really good local station that brings in a bunch of alternative/metal/rock bands to the Bowl and to other venues, as mentioned by
Daniel.</p>

<p>^^^^you should do the welcome video for UCSB next year....</p>

<p>To the OP: UCSB is a great university in a great location; not sure what you other choices are outside the UCs. As OOS, you have to decide whether you can pay the price for four years. Good luck!</p>

<p>Welcome video?</p>

<p>I have no idea what you're talking about...</p>

<p><em>is confused</em></p>

<p>I'm only going to be a freshman in '09...I just know a lot about the school already cuz I've already been on campus a lot.</p>

<p>My friend is going to go to UCSB and she doesn't party, drink or smoke. I think all of that is there if you want to do it, but no one is forcing you to.</p>

<p>UCSC and UCSB are very similar. In my opinion academically UCSC = UCSB, however UCSC is in a much cleaner location.</p>

<p>^ nope, ucsb has a WAYYY better reputation for academics and doesnt have like a 75% acceptance rate</p>

<p>UCSB's reputation for academics is not "way better" than UCSC's. Some of UCSB's programs are slightly higher ranked than UCSC's but Tommy is for the most part correct.</p>

<p>The difference between UCSC and UCSB academically is pretty much like comparing UCB and UCLA...UCB is slightly "better" but they are on about the same level.</p>

<p>Sure, UCSC has a higher acceptance rate, but they get muchhhh fewer applicants...because UCSB attracts a lot of the underachievers looking for a "party school" who don't really have the grades to get in anywhere. </p>

<p>Plus, UCSC is ranked #2 in the country for Astrophysics/space sciences.</p>

<p>UCSB doesn't have any top 10 national rankings.</p>