What UCs can I get into?

<p>Sup, i’m looking to apply to UC schools,currently a senior.</p>

<p>Male
Chinese/Filipino
California Resident</p>

<p>Weighted GPA: 3.96 UC GPA: 3.65</p>

<p>Accelerated Courses taken: Geometry, English 9, English 10, Biology, Geography, Algebra II,
Honors Courses: Chemistry, Math Analysis, Physics
AP Courses: World History (4 on exam) US History (3 on exam) English Language (4 on exam) Biology (4 on exam)
Top 11% of graduating class. 66/650</p>

<p>Have always taken the highest difficulty of classes available to me.</p>

<p>Senior Courses: AP Government, AP Physics, AP English Literature, AP Calculus, Computer Art, ASB Leadership</p>

<p>SAT Score - 1880</p>

<p>ACT Score - 29</p>

<p>SAT II Biology - 620</p>

<p>SAT II US History - 670</p>

<p>200+ hrs of community service</p>

<p>Extra Curriculars/Leadership–
Sports (as of now): 2 Years JV Volleyball, 1 Year Varsity Waterpolo, 2 Years Varsity Swim & Dive
ASB Member for 2 years – Assistant to Dean, head of Technology
Treasurer of Japanese Culture Club 2 yrs
Treasurer of SAVY Community Service Club 2 yrs
Treasurer of Link Crew 1 yr (Assists in the settling of new freshmen entering High School)
Member of Sharp Hospital Auxilary 3 yrs (Volunteer)</p>

<p>Misc–
Member of KISA Korean International Club 3 yrs
Member of FILAM Filipino American Association 2 yrs
Attended Kumon Educational Institute for 7 yrs
Member of National Honor Society 2 yrs
Member of California Scholarship Federation 2 yrs</p>

<p>I plan to major in some form of engineering most likely Mechanical/Electrical Engineering.
Can anyone tell me what my chances are of getting into schools in the UC system and what can I improve to increase my chances of getting in?</p>

<p>I had the exact same SAT I score as you, modestly higher SAT II scores, and a slightly higher GPA and got accepted to UCSB but rejected from UCI/UCSD. Hopefully that will give you some perspective.</p>

<p>But your extra-curriculars are stronger than mine were, so who knows.</p>

<p>I think you’ll get in to all the UCs except UCSD, thats my opinion. As for UCB and UCLA, I think this will depend on your essays, but I’m sure theirs a good chance you’ll get in to one of them, even though your SAT scores arent high enough with the other applicants standards. You ECs are diverse which I like, keep up with them along with your grades.</p>

<p>You don’t really have a chance at the top 3.</p>

<p>For the mid tiers, your GPA is quite low, and your SAT only average.</p>

<p>At this point there is literally nothing you can do to improve your chances. All but Cal and UCLA are pretty numbers driven. Heck, UCSD barely even reads the essays… While great essays would really help at Cal and UCLA (bcos they do read them), Engineering is gonna be really tough. </p>

<p>All you can do is apply. Good luck.</p>

<p>Since you want engineering, you should definitely apply to some State U’s as well. Engineering at the top U.C.'s is really competitive. </p>

<p>Also, apply to USC (private) and use your ACT score only, not your SAT’s.</p>

<p>You could throw in a couple of other privates, esp. any that might provide some leadership scholarship $$.</p>

<p>As blue said, essays are important for the 2 top-tier U.C.'s.</p>

<p>I think you guys are being a little too hard on him. I’m sure he’ll get into a mid-tier UC; I’d guarantee he could if he retook his SAT and got a higher score. He might even have a chance at UCSD. All very good schools, too.</p>

<p>he is in from UCD down. UCSD is weird. UCLA Cal possible but declare a n easy major to get in</p>

<p>wcf:</p>

<p>go look at the history of Davis on cc. For the past couple of years, there are plenty of kids who are 3.9/2000 who were rejected. Add in Engineering, and the mid-tiers become a reach without a hook (or plus factor, such as low income, first gen to attend college, or overcoming adversity).</p>

<p>^Yeah, my girlfriend had very similar stats as OP and was an engineering major and was initially rejected from Davis 2 years ago.</p>

<p>From the only averages my UC gpa is pretty low, but dont the admissions people also look at the person’s weighted GPA? I’ve taken the hardest courses available to me to have such a weighted GPA, if I knew earlier that they would only consider 8 extra points for AP/HN classes I couldve easily just taken easier classes and have had a higher GPA as a result. Can anyone justify why it’s like that? It seems pretty unfair to me but then again, there may be a reason.</p>

<p>Also on a side note, my school district is in a contract with San Diego State University called Compact for Success that guarantees admission for a student into SDSU as long as they complete all A-G courses with an average of C or better while maintaining above a 3.0 GPA, a UCSD representative came by my school and said that on my application essay, if I put that I am compact eligibile it will give me 300 extra points through their comprehensive review system, would this bonus be applicable to schools such as UCI as well?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies by the way, it really helps :).</p>

<p>bump – sorry the above question is really bothering me</p>

<p>jm:</p>

<p>dunno about the SD compact, but I kinda doubt it.</p>

<p>The 8 bonus point cap is only used for admissions ELIGIBILITY, i.e., do you have a 3.0 to be minimally eligible to a UC campus, any campus. The reason for the cap is that many high schools have few honors/AP courses. OTOH, the application reader will also see your weighted, uncapped gpa, so all of your AP/honors courses will be to your benefit. Strength of schedule is important.</p>