What will admissions look like for class of '23

Hello,

I am a California student who will be graduating in 2023, and I am planning to go to a UC,
Due to Covid-19, there have been many changes in the college admissions process, like SAT and stuff, and I have a couple question about it.

1. Will the SAT Be optional, or will the just not look at it?
  2. If they won't, will they focus more on instead?

Thanks

Another note is that my extracurriculars have been cancelle, so how will I be able to stand out if I don’t have those to back me up?

Well, that’s a long way out. That being said, I would suggest focusing on getting good grades and planning to take standardized tests. As far as Ec’s go, try to find some which are online. I know many have been canceled but some have not. See if there is anything that you can do online. I would say 1/2 of my kids things have been canceled and the rest are online. Some things are even easier to do since you don’t have to drive or stay there. Some of the Summer camps are even holding online sessions. If you are an athlete, there are virtual training sessions and even virtual events.

You might be able to get some friends together and help with something Covid related or help in an area that you are interested in. Don’t give up because of Covid.

@KWOOOSH:

UC’s are test optional for Fall 2021 and 2022 admits. In 2023, they are test blind and their eventual goal is develop their own admission test.
Here is a summary:

The UC’s still have 13 areas of criteria they use to review applicants and GPA which has always been “king” in the eyes of the UC’s, will become even more important.

Below is the 14 areas of criteria currently used by the UC’s minus test scores starting Fall 2021:

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/how-applications-are-reviewed.html

@Happytimes2001 Ok will do! What standardized tests are there besides the SAT and ACT?

Some UC’s have SAT subject test recommendations for specific majors so check the UC website for each campus.

with a new chancellor and an affirmative action initiative on the ballot this November, , I’d expect some changes in the 14 selection criteria.

Most UCs are looking for GPA north of 4.0 in relatively challenging classes and some ECs that show you are a well rounded applicant. That’s not going to change. For now, try to manage your performance around those objectives.

Id add - that by charter UCs are targeting the top 5-7% of HS graduates. by definition, that excludes most people. CSUs and CCs both offer credible paths to degrees for the other 95%.

So, keep an open mind and good luck