What's a good score for the SAT Essay for UCs?

I am currently a senior and checked my essay score, and I got a 6/5/6. It totals up to a 17/24 which seems quite low, but I dont know what is good and what is bad for the essay. By the way, I’m only applying to UCs and Cal Polys.

I have a few questions.

1. Is my essay score bad? I am not sure what the 'average' is and how well I need my scores to be.
  2. Are SAT essays super important for admissions? If so, should I retake my essay then?

The Cal Poly’s Pomona and SLO do not consider the essay score.

Here are the essay ranges 25th and 75th percentiles for admitted students at the UC’s:
UCB/UCLA: 16-20
UCSD: 16-18
UCI/UCSB/UCD: 15-18
UCSC: 14-18
UCR: 14-17
UCM: 13-17

Your essay score is within range for all the UC’s so do not retake. UC’s also put less emphasis on your essay score than on your SAT Math and EBRW scores.

Thank you so much!!

@Gumbymom Hi I had another question,

So I took the August SAT w/ Essay and got a 17/24 on the essay, which I’m fine with. But, my SAT score was pretty bad so I want to retake it. Since I’m only applying to UC’s, does that mean I have to retake the SAT w/ Essay everytime?

I know that the UCs have something about how they’ll take the highest score from a single sitting. So does that mean that I can’t submit my 17/24 from the August SAT and my math+reading score from a later test date?

Yes, you need to retake the SAT with essay each time. The UC’s will consider your highest score including essay from a single sitting and they do not take different parts of different sittings into consideration (no superscoring). They recommend you send all test scores from all sittings.