What's it like academically?

I’m applying RD to Purdue and I’m sure I ll get in, but I’m scared of the workload. Not to sound cocky, but its not my number 1 school. But it is good in engineering, my major, and people say it’s a difficult university.

Compared to AP classes, how is the workload?

I expect to have maybe 30-40 hours of work every week, with maybe 15-20 hours of classes?? I heard freshman take physics, chem, calc, and engineering.

I, in high school, work at least 4-5 hours each day. In college, if i have more time, I can definitely get more done. I’m not one to have fun at college. I ll enjoy the experience, but my priority is to get my degree, then play.

I graduated from Purdue in May with an engineering degree. It’s hard, but you’ll be fine if you can keep your priorities straight. It’s just really annoying when you’re in a 2 credit freshman engineering class with 10+ hours of work per week. All other classes had less crazy work loads.

Thanks. If possible, can you divulge any high school info? Because “hard” is subjective and I think AP classes are about, on a 1-10 scale, a 6 for me. If you took a good share of AP’s and Honors classes, with a good essay and SAT/ACT Scores, then i believe that Purdue is hard. Any info helps!! Thanks!!

If @naturaldisaster is graduating with an engineering degree from Purdue then you know he’s bright and hardworking. Purdue’s engineering department is much harder to get into than other general classes. Purdue is known for being a lot easier to get into than to get out of and is known for having zero grade inflation.

ahh, so declaring that youre going an as engineer major separates it. I was confused by how high the acceptance rate was, but now it makes sense. So its harder to graduate. I see. Thanks, I hope to get in but since Im oos it will be more difficult to go there.

I got into Purdue engineering and got the highest level of presidential scholarship as an instate student. So I like to think I’m considered intelligent and hardworking. My school didn’t have a lot of APs, but I took calc, chem, us history, gov and econ. My first semester was decently easy because a lot of it was stuff from high school: gen chem, calc 1, freshman writing, and the time intensive freshman engineering class. Then things got more intense with a lot of new subject material every semester.

I graduated with over a 3.0, managed to have some fun, and have a full time job I enjoy. So I feel like I had a successful college experience.

Nice!! What type of engineering if I may ask? Im going as electrical.