Whats it like up there?

<p>Hello everyone, Im from PA and am wondering what it is like up at UW (atmosphere, social life, city, etc.) I am thinking about going there because of their great Comp sci program.</p>

<p>Beer, brats, cheese, badgers and ice fishing...have fun.</p>

<p>not nearly as muchice fishing as beer or brats.
Theres also a lot of farm kids</p>

<p>A lot of everything--beer and martinis, coffee houses and a few real cheese shops. Brats and food from Nepal.</p>

<p>its everything i wanted my college experience to be. Excellent academics, hot chicks, big parties, and tons of school spirit.</p>

<p>Come to Wisconsin, it will not dissappoint. Yes, there are a lot of people from rural communities, alot of people hunt and fish, and so there is a lot of ice fishing, and its fun. Just be aware that despite Madisons liberal reputation, there are A LOT of people from rural communities, and they will not get along with anyone that has an east coast attitude, so if you can deal with that, and like beatiful women, beer, cold weather, great sports, and gruelling academics, Wisconsin is the best school in the country for overall package.</p>

<p>Wait what do you mean by East-Coast attitude??</p>

<p>Well, quite a few kids in Madison from the East Coast have a lot of money, and they think that it makes them hot stuff, but really their narcissism just annoys the locals. Not everyone is like that but it is an attitude generally associated with the East Coast.</p>

<p>Just got back from 3 days in Madison with my family and son who was accepted. Great town, great people and great school. We were really impressed but a bit chilled. If you can deal with the cold than Madison and U of Wisc is a great place to go. The students we spoke to seemed very down to earth. We are coasties, from NJ and my son was not impressed by The Towers or Statsider. He feels living with general population from across the country would be a far better experience. The facilities are great, we saw a basketball game at the Kohl Center and spent some time at the SERF.</p>

<p>I'd certainly apply to the dorms but have a private backup.</p>

<p>I wouldn't</p>

<p>Sometimes you have no choice. Highlander, Langdon, and Regent (too far, though) are different from Towers/Statesider. I'd pick Langdon for location. </p>

<p>I'd make sure to apply now. Not only is it easier with rolling admissions but you'd have a chance to get the public dorms closer to your classes.</p>